General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Whilst there are undoubtedly issues with LAs I'm not convinced that handing over substantially more powers to Head Teachers is somehow going to solve the problems.

I'm not suggesting it will solve anything but Liebour MSP's were hammering the SNP about figures even although it was Liebour LA's that were causing the figures to be poor, think it might have been teacher/pupil ratios or similar, ultimately any Liebour rep is a c**t of the highest order who'll put giving SNP a kicking in front of running anything properly every day of the week.

Evidently does not follow Scottish politics... just the hyperbole of right wing press

Her opponents in Scottish politics are exactly who you'd expect though.

Folk who would consider voting Tory seem to love her up here. You can't argue that she's been very effective (even if it has been based on predictable tactics).

I think Sturgeon's 'one trick pony' jibe has an element of truth to it, but then when that trick is proving to be so effective and Sturgeon is allowing it to continue as a weakness then she doesn't really need to learn any more. This current situation is probably her best opportunity to show she has added dimensions. If she can position herself firmly as the liberal Tory spokesperson then she's got every chance of being a significant player. She has that ability of being likeable, which isn't particularly common amongst the current crop of Tories, has found herself in a position where she yields some influence, has some fairly impressive successes to her name and there is a gap for a figurehead in that socially liberal wing of the Tory party that she appears to be filling.

Im not convinced she will be the next leader, though we could soon have two Scottish leaders of major UK wide-parties soon assuming Swinson becomes Lib Dem leader. Maybe three if Coburn wins...

Her opponents in Scottish politics are exactly who you'd expect though.

Folk who would consider voting Tory seem to love her up here. You can't argue that she's been very effective (even if it has been based on predictable tactics).

Totally. She has been effective.. but very easy to play the rampant unionist card in Scotland and shout shout shout at Nicola about a referendum..
Needs a bit more in her tank tbh. Pardon the pun

8 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Michael Portillo has just said on This Week that the only person who can succeed Theresa is Ruth Davidson.

The fact that she's even being spoken about as a potential successor exposes the tallest-dwarf nature of the pool of candidates.

It has to be said that the idea of a Remain-voting openly LGBT Scot leading them might be several bridges too far for some sections of their grassroots support though.

Edited by Hillonearth

Would love to see Ruthy become tory leader.

It'd take about 30 seconds for her to be exposed by the press down there. Not just on her lack of competence but from the country that clapped like seals when Brown was referred to as a "one-eyed Scottish idiot" I can't imagine the "shovel-faced lesbian" would last very long.

Would be nice if someone asked how her Open Brexit plan is going in the meantime too. 

Wouldn't she need to be parachuted into some safe Tory seat down south before that could be considered?

I wouldn't object to her being exiled from Scotland as soon as possible, but the idea of her being anywhere near an opportunity to be PM fills me with dread. 

35 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

It has to be said that the idea of a Remain-voting openly LGBT Scot leading them might be several bridges too far for some sections of their grassroots support though.

Would love to be a fly on the wall of the tea rooms and pubs of the shires if that happened.

Rumblings that LibDems are preparing to go into coalition with the Tories.  Huge if true.

If Jo Swinson becomes party leader it's a guarantee.

Rumblings that LibDems are preparing to go into coalition with the Tories.  Huge if true.

That was something I wondered when Farron left, but it opens up the Brexit question again. How can the pro-EU party square going into a party who are currently committed to leaving?

I really fucking hate the Lib Dems.

It's total bullshit. Any deal the LDs make with the Tories is required to go to a special conference, and their members sure as hell won't be voting for it.