General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

That's twice you've made posts like that about Abbott. Maybe lay off the casual misogynoir.

I think you're reading waaay too much into my posts.

9 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I think you're reading waaay too much into my posts.

Nah if you're reducing a prominent black female politician to somedy who Corbyn fucked 40 years ago then I have to question why that is. Especially when it was used during the election campaign as quite a vicious recurrent tactic of the Tory election strategy. Just don't do it.

DEdnGT0XkAEYv34.jpg

DEdnH5IW0AA616f.jpg

Problematic. Corbyn doesn't help himself with some of the company he keeps. 

He's a fucking moron who sees my enemy's enemy is my friend without checking who the fekk he is dealing with.

He is as naive as those muppets posting Facebook shares started by Britain First.

9 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Nah if you're reducing a prominent black female politician to somedy who Corbyn fucked 40 years ago then I have to question why that is. Especially when it was used during the election campaign as quite a vicious recurrent tactic of the Tory election strategy. Just don't do it.

You don't have to be a bigot to joke about Diane Abbot. Not everything's about gender or race.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

She was chosen due to her previous relationship with Corbyn and her prominent position in the shadow cabinet. The colour of her skin had absolutely nothing to do with my posts.

I have to question why you seem determined to tar me with the 'racist' brush given I had made absolutely no reference to her race. Or indeed her religion, competency or appearance.

Just now, welshbairn said:

You don't have to be a bigot to joke about Diane Abbot. Not everything's about gender or race.

Of course not but it depends what you're making jokes on. I don't think he's a bigot at all, just making comments which are unnecessary. There's plenty of things more recent which don't come across quite as unpleasant.

8 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

He's a fucking moron who sees my enemy's enemy is my friend without checking who the fekk he is dealing with.

He is as naive as those muppets posting Facebook shares started by Britain First.

I wouldn't say it as strongly as you obvs but I agree to an extent. His recent photos with Steve Hadley are just WTF in why he thinks it's acceptable to be seen with him. It's one area that needs challenging.

3 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

She was chosen due to her previous relationship with Corbyn and her prominent position in the shadow cabinet. The colour of her skin had absolutely nothing to do with my posts.

I have to question why you seem determined to tar me with the 'racist' brush given I had made absolutely no reference to her race. Or indeed her religion, competency or appearance.

It's possible to make comments that give off a casual vibe of misogyny/ misogynoir, racism, homophobia, transphobic without being any of those things. It's how you respond to being told that that's important. It wasn't just this comment but this one as well that has me calling out why you're choosing to focus on her relationship with Corbyn literal decades ago when you're having a go:

On 10/06/2017 at 19:59, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Pictures have leaked of Labour's post election party.

593c416eef6b4_jcandda.thumb.jpg.e7c540918bf9dbd88b53c0d5a3310e5a.jpg

10 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It's possible to make comments that give off a casual vibe of misogyny/ misogynoir, racism, homophobia, transphobic without being any of those things.

This seems to me as if you are looking to be offended by something, or more likely as in my original reply to you, you're reading way too much into it.

Are you saying that it should be out of bounds to joke about Abbott because she's a black woman, even if the joke makes no reference to her race ?

Would you label me a homophobe if I made a joke about <insert well known gay celebrity> which made no mention of their sexuality ?

35 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It wasn't just this comment but this one as well that has me calling out why you're choosing to focus on her relationship with Corbyn literal decades ago when you're having a go:

The picture in question was taken from twitter and was some sort of Daily Sport spoof. Given the press coverage of their relationship history, I found it mildly amusing at the time so posted it here. Like it or not, the fact that Corbyn had a previous relationship with a high ranking member of his shadow cabinet is something that people will comment on and joke about regardless of the ethnicity of the person in question.

3 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

This seems to me as if you are looking to be offended by something, or more likely as in my original reply to you, you're reading way too much into it.

Are you saying that it should be out of bounds to joke about Abbott because she's a black woman, even if the joke makes no reference to her race ?

Would you label me a homophobe if I made a joke about <insert well known gay celebrity> which made no mention of their sexuality ?

The picture in question was taken from twitter and was some sort of Daily Sport spoof. Given the press coverage of their relationship history, I found it mildly amusing at the time so posted it here. Like it or not, the fact that Corbyn had a previous relationship with a high ranking member of his shadow cabinet is something that people will comment on and joke about regardless of the ethnicity of the person in question.

You've twice chosen to mock Diane Abbott on the basis of who she has chosen to have a relationship with. I don't really see that ridiculing her for that is any different to unionists who choose to take the piss out of Nicola Sturgeon for being childless. It smacks of casual misogyny. 

17 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

You've twice chosen to mock Diane Abbott on the basis of who she has chosen to have a relationship with. I don't really see that ridiculing her for that is any different to unionists who choose to take the piss out of Nicola Sturgeon for being childless. It smacks of casual misogyny. 

Deary me, your need to find offence really does know no bounds.  .  Firstly it was misogyny and racism for using Diane Abbott in a satirical post and now if is casual misogyny for, in your own words "who she has chosen to have a relationship with". 

Let us just presume for a minute that it was JC's wife that was used in the original post, would this still be misogynistic?

If Jeremy Corbyn's wife had had a decades long career in politics with numerous successes, controversies and failures and the one thing you could think to ridicule them on was the fact they were shagging Jeremy Corbyn then I'd probably wonder why that was, aye. 

28 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It's good to see you've now rowed back on the racism part of your 'misogynoir' accusation.

Why do you assume that I'm mocking Abbott for her relationship with Corbyn and not vice versa ? Or indeed, mocking both of them equally for having a fling ages ago which has now come to more prominence given their recent elevation to major political figures ?

1 minute ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

It's good to see you've now rowed back on the racism part of your 'misogynoir' accusation.

Why do you assume that I'm mocking Abbott for her relationship with Corbyn and not vice versa ? Or indeed, mocking both of them equally for having a fling ages ago which has now come to more prominence given their recent elevation to major political figures ?

Cause you've made two sexually explicit posts concerning and ridiculing Abbott. You can try and argue what your point was but it looks like misogyny and some would term it misogynoir as well since you're reducing a black woman to who she's had a relationship with. If that wasn't your intention then fair enough but it can and will be interpreted that way. Just something to bear in mind when that's what you choose to focus on. I'm engaging in good faith here.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

It's possible to make comments that give off a casual vibe of misogyny/ misogynoir, racism, homophobia, transphobic without being any of those things. It's how you respond to being told that that's important. It wasn't just this comment but this one as well that has me calling out why you're choosing to focus on her relationship with Corbyn literal decades ago when you're having a go:

The world must be a scary place for you . The guy made a satirical joke . Stop trying to find offence when there clearly is none . 

Just now, Forever_blueco said:

The world must be a scary place for you . The guy made a satirical joke . Stop trying to find offence when there clearly is none . 

Shouldn't you out be burning a bonfire, brother?

I was only trying out some of my new material for my stand up gigs at the Fringe next month. Mixed reactions it seems, it's good to know what works and what doesn't.

Anyway, PM me if anyone wants tickets.

Cheers

Jim x

jd.jpg.8fac549bfebec7ecb64109a74d6bc429.jpg

19 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Cause you've made two sexually explicit posts concerning and ridiculing Abbott. You can try and argue what your point was but it looks like misogyny and some would term it misogynoir as well since you're reducing a black woman to who she's had a relationship with. If that wasn't your intention then fair enough but it can and will be interpreted that way. Just something to bear in mind when that's what you choose to focus on. I'm engaging in good faith here.

We're going round in circles here so I'm happy to draw a line under it.