General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

So it looks like the Australian PM is being ousted to be replaced by an even bigger idiot.
Oz always seems to get a positive press in the UK but it's up there with the USA for racist crazies.
Indeed, a nation of vulgar people and coarse attitudes. Can anyone name two Australian authors, books, films, poets or composers respectively ?

28 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
3 hours ago, Detournement said:
So it looks like the Australian PM is being ousted to be replaced by an even bigger idiot.
Oz always seems to get a positive press in the UK but it's up there with the USA for racist crazies.

Indeed, a nation of vulgar people and coarse attitudes. Can anyone name two Australian authors, books, films, poets or composers respectively ?

I agree with you in general sentiment but there are some decent Australians. Patrick White and Peter Carey are both great writers.

The attitude to climate change there is stunning. They are forcing the current right wing arsehole PM out basically because he doesn't think burning coal is the greatest thing ever. It's as if as long as they have air con they don't give a f**k.

Films are easy. Muriel’s wedding, rabbit proof fence, Mad Max, Pricilla queen of the desert

A.B. “Banjo” Paterson’s poetry gets me half marks on poetry

Can I get a point for the choreographer Mathew Bourne?

I think Dame Edna got it right when she was asked why Australians were so successful at sport.

"Good food and diet; open air life; juicy steaks; sunshine — and the total absence of any kind of intellectual distraction".

56 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
4 hours ago, Detournement said:

What's the difference between Australia and a pot of yoghurt?

If you leave the yoghurt long enough, it will eventually develop a culture

John Birmingham, John Safran, The Slap, he died with a felafel in his hand, Rabbit proof fence, Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

No for poets or composers but with composers that would be true of the vast majority of countries. I know very few composers.

I agree with you in general sentiment but there are some decent Australians. Patrick White and Peter Carey are both great writers.
The attitude to climate change there is stunning. They are forcing the current right wing arsehole PM out basically because he doesn't think burning coal is the greatest thing ever. It's as if as long as they have air con they don't give a f**k.
To be fair, Robert Hughes's 'Culture Of Complaint' is a fantastic polemical blast at both ends of the PC spectrum.

In what is likely to be his last day as PM, always worth remembering that this’ll be the fourth Prime Minister in a row that has been ousted by a member of their own party. Not one has lasted a full three year term. And we think our political system is fucked.

IMG_4631.thumb.jpg.d1d28898fe99cf6b4b1e6b48a458ea47.jpg

From the little I know of Australian politics, Scott Morrison, more of a moderate, defeats Peter Dutton, who is on the right of the party, in a coup against Turnbull that was led by the Dutton and the right. So that seems a little awkward.

2 hours ago, Sooky said:

From the little I know of Australian politics, Scott Morrison, more of a moderate, defeats Peter Dutton, who is on the right of the party, in a coup against Turnbull that was led by the Dutton and the right. So that seems a little awkward.

Morrison is only moderate when compared to Dutton. He voted against marriage equality, ran the refugee concentration camps on Manus and Nauru, thinks the future of energy is coal and is some kind of evangelical christian.

Morrison is only moderate when compared to Dutton. He voted against marriage equality, ran the refugee concentration camps on Manus and Nauru, thinks the future of energy is coal and is some kind of evangelical christian.

Fair enough! Is it fair to say the entire country is fed up of this happening every couple years?

Fair enough! Is it fair to say the entire country is fed up of this happening every couple years?
Yep, general feeling is they should call an election and let the people decide. Most people glad to see the back of Dutton

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/entertainment/go-home-c**t-says-nation/