St Mirren v Dumbarton Championship 20/2/16

Yet again the team give 110% and are let down by the management.

If this continues Dumbarton will be relegated. ST Mirren, Morton, Livi and Alloa are all teams that

are very similar to Dumbarton in terms of quality, not huge amounts between them.

St Mirren are as bad as I've ever seen them, however they took the points as Dumbarton yet again did not adapt.

Obvious again today that it wasn't working, cawley and kler on the bench, using walsh as the only threat. I understand the strikers are injured but atleast try and change things around. If he did and we got beat then yeah thats fair play but we sat and done nothing again and watched the game turn against us.

The saving grace this season is that Dumbarton are quite solid defensively, but you cant go into game hoping your defense will hold on for 90 minutes

eg. Recent raith away fixture. Luck like that only gets you so far. Darren barr is not a midfielder full stop.

I've given Aitken the benefit of the doubt for too long now. He is really is out his depth.

Its clear as day we lack creativity and a striker. So he brings in Kler, Walsh and Nade.

Which is fair enough at least hes trying to address the issue but then he punts out the same team as before and If anything

reduces our already minimal creativity by putting a centre half in midfield. Goes for draws against these teams that we could

take points off of, beggars belief. I dont travel to games and pay my money to watch us slog a draw out with a team we can

at least compete with. Then on top of it he waits and watches us fall out of games and waits till we lose a goal before attempting a change.

Its very frustrating as the team are working hard you can see that, but they are set up so poorly going into these games

that they don't have chance.

He needs to go, I'de take murray back in a heartbeat, the guy is clueless and hes being found out.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this continues Dumbarton will be relegated. ST Mirren, Morton, Livi and Alloa are all teams that

are very similar to Dumbarton in terms of quality. There isn't huge amounts between them.

St Mirren are as bad as I've ever seen them, however they took the points as Dumbarton yet again did not adapt.

Obvious again today that it wasn't working, cawley and kler on the bench, using walsh as the only threat. I understand the strikers are

injured but atleast try and change things around, if he did and we got beat then yeah that fair play but we sat and done nothing again

as the game turned against us.

Dumbarton are quite solid defensively, but you cant go into game hoping your defense will hold on for 90 minutes

eg. Recent raith away fixture. Luck only gets you so far. Darren barr is not a midfielder full stop.

I've given Aitken the benefit of the doubt for too long now. He is really is out his depth.

Its clear as day we lacked creativity and a striker. So he brings in Kler, Walsh and Nade.

Which is fair enough at least hes trying to address the issue but then he punts out the same team as before and If anything

reduces our already minimal creativity by putting a centre half in midfield. Goes for draws against these teams that we could

take points off of, beggars belief. I dont travel to games and pay my money to watch us slog a draw out with a team we can

at least compete with. Then on top of it he waits and watches us fall out of games and waits till we lose a goal before attempting a

change. Its very frustrating as the team are giving it there all you can see that, but they are set up so poorly going into these games

He needs to go, I'de take murray back in a heartbeat, the guy is clueless and hes being found out.

Not sure if serious.

Aitken said after the match that he had targeted a 0-0. We deserved to lose because we created nowhere near enough chances. With Nade, Fleming and Lindsay the match could have been very different.

He wants to make that clear to the fans before I waste my time and money to watch a team set up to avoid a win.

Time to punt him, we cant afford the negitive crap for the rest of the season.

Also why was Ewings dropped? Not that Brown played badly but I dont think jamie deserved to lose his place.

That's a fair enough point, but I think a large dose of realism and perspective is required here.

We're five points above the play-off place with some very winnable games coming up, we lost narrowly to another poor side today without our two forwards and overall we defended relatively stoutly. Panic stations, this ain't.

Not sure if serious.

Entirely. First half of the season his lack of tactical adaptation was hidden by a lack of options, the reality is he can't read a game. Didnt take rocket scientist to see it at morton or today. Its fair enough he has no strikers but youve got two attacking players in cawley and kler bothare a bit more creative and direct. Yet done nothing again.

That's a fair enough point, but I think a large dose of realism and perspective is required here.

We're five points above the play-off place with some very winnable games coming up, we lost narrowly to another poor side today without our two forwards and overall we defended relatively stoutly. Panic stations, this ain'

I completely agree that we still have a good chance but this needs to be rectified quickly and the problems the manager not the team.

If we had attacked today the chances are we probably still wouldn't have scored and we would have been hit on the break more

Maybe, but we were beaten today we got nothing, So why not try something else at half time? Can't stand teams that

play for draws. Paul martin springs to mind, not for the first time this season.

Maybe, but we were beaten today we got nothing, So why not try something else at half time? Can't stand teams that

play for draws. Paul martin springs to mind, not for the first time this season.

When we did have a go for the last 15 minutes, we had nobody to hold the ball up and mccallum can't be expected to do that so every time we went forward it was swept up with ease. If we play like that against similar opposition with both Fleming and Nade, then I would question Aitken.

I thought we absolutely deserved to win today. It was an awful game between two shite teams but at least we showed some intent to try and score a goal, unlike our opponents, and if we'd won by more I don't think there would have been many complaints.

It was an absolute brutal match to watch today, but we got three points and that's all that matters. To achieve three home wins on the trot, with the position we were in when Rae took over, especially with our record at Home since moving, is some achievement.

Baird and Webster strolled the game, Gallagher and Agnew were shocking. Agnew is totally out of his depth, he looks as if he's auditioning for Strictly when he jumps to try and head the ball.

It was great to see Goodwin back. I think with Quinn, Goodwin and Mallan in the midfield it will take some of the defensive pressure off our more creative players.

When you look at the teams out with Rangers and Hibs there haven't been anyone that I thought were better teams, just more organised with a game plan. QOS were sitting in 4th before today, the last two games against them suggests there's nothing between us.

Rae is bringing the discipline and organisation we lacked so if we have a bit of luck with injuries and suspensions and manage to get a couple of points off the top three teams, then 4th could well be achieved. (Not that I think we'll go up but you never know since Hibs have a reputation of being bottle merchants.)

Special mention to Mcallister who I thought linked up well down the left and caused a few problems. Didn't mind getting stuck in either.

Bloody hell! It has been a tough week with us losing 2 pretty important matches but some of our fans ain't half getting carried away here! We are still in the driving seat 5 ahead with a game in hand.

Think we were good enough for a point today, lacked attacking threat which is to be expected. I did think Aitken was too late with the subs as 5 mins before the goal you could see things swaying that way. But a combination of luck and Wright getting caught by the bounce/spin of the ball let them in and it was a half decent finish.

But St Mirren were really no better than us other than they had natural strikers on the park. We lack in squad depth at the moment. I thought we were 1 striker short at the end of last month which is proving to be correct.

Gallagher didn't look fit today especially 2nd half when he was moved deeper into the midfield. Struggled to do anything and I'd have subbed him before the goal was scored. Harsh on Ewings, but clearly Brown is Aitken's number 1.

Ref was awful today. Inconsistent throughout and some truly baffling decisions. Didn't change the result but was pretty frustrating at times!

2 forward players on the bench with 1 winger and he sets up for a 0-0 playing 6 fucking defenders. Absolutely dreadful. Our goals against column suggests being defensive isn't working, time for Aitken to be brave and throw a bit more caution to the wind. If we'd put St Mirren under any sort of pressure we'd have got something today. Can't quite believe he's admitted that to be honest.

are very similar to Dumbarton in terms of quality, not huge amounts between them.

Obvious again today that it wasn't working, cawley and kler on the bench, using walsh as the only threat. I understand the strikers are injured but atleast try and change things around. If he did and we got beat then yeah thats fair play but we sat and done nothing again and watched the game turn against us.

The saving grace this season is that Dumbarton are quite solid defensively, but you cant go into game hoping your defense will hold on for 90 minutes

eg. Recent raith away fixture. Luck like that only gets you so far. Darren barr is not a midfielder full stop.

Its clear as day we lack creativity and a striker. So he brings in Kler, Walsh and Nade.

at least compete with. Then on top of it he waits and watches us fall out of games and waits till we lose a goal before attempting a change.

Its very frustrating as the team are working hard you can see that, but they are set up so poorly going into these games

Well...I think you've gone a bit far, but I can't disagree that he picked the wrong team and is at fault for our defeat today.

Surely you're joking about bringing Murray back? He was just as bad last season and made an almighty mess of the St Mirren job, effectively confirming that Jack Ross was the brains behind the operation.

Not overly critical of stevies reflection. I didn't think st mirren created that much either but issue certainly with how we play.

Would like him to have commented on the change in formation at half time with gall dropping and routledge going higher.

As said before we were better than a against Morton.

Just a though about gaming with fitness. Dangerous but would rather gamble in league games that in the cup

Not overly critical of stevies reflection. I didn't think st mirren created that much either but issue certainly with how we play.

Would like him to have commented on the change in formation at half time with gall dropping and routledge going higher.

As said before we were better than a against Morton.

Just a though about gaming with fitness. Dangerous but would rather gamble in league games that in the cup

I think it was more a case of St Mirren being worse than Morton tbh.

I think it was more a case of St Mirren being worse than Morton tbh.

Yup. We were rank against Morton, but injuries during the game to Fleming and Nade lead to that. It's very difficult to change things during a game.

We had no ambition to trying to win the game yesterday however, and against a team one place above us in the league that's just not good enough. I'm raging about it, yes, because if we'd given it a go St Mirren were more than there for the taking.

The lack of Fleming and Nade is an easy excuse, an excuse that deflects away from the fact that we started with 7 defensive minded players. At Ibrox, understandable. At the Paisley 2021 Stadium? Nope.

Yesterday Jon Routledge - our strongest central defensive midfielder - was more often than not our most advanced player. This is a man who in 162 appearances has scored 7 times in his career.

Also, for us to be so reliant on two strikers - neither of whom are out and out goalscorers - seems like a very risky move. Especially when we have such a ridiculous quantity of defenders in the squad. The injuries made things tough yesterday, as did the lineup, but surely the two Stevies must also take responsibility for a fairly unbalanced squad. Nade could easily get injured again, as could Fleming, either could also get suspended. What do we do then? Is there even any point in turning up?

I think there's been some overreaction here from some posters - perhaps myself included - I'm still behind Aitken and Faz. I still think they're doing a decent job. Glaring issues however are now becoming apparent, and we're only a decent Alloa or Livi run of form from the dreaded 9th/10th.

A loan striker is badly needed. My worry is that the budget has already been fully used up.

Archived