Frightened Rabbit

Miguel Sanchez

Anyone read the Michael Pedersen book ‘Boy Friends’?

It’s primarily about Pedersen's friendship with Scott and how he tried to cope with and make sense of his death.
I’m about three quarters of the way through it right now and it’s really interesting (and obviously very sad).  

Well worth a read if you want to know a bit more about Scott, but it’s also interesting to read about the relationships Pedersen has had with with his other male friends, and if you’ve lost anyone close to you then the vivid descriptions of his grief with probably hit home too. 

5 hours ago, stevoraith said:

Anyone read the Michael Pedersen book ‘Boy Friends’?

It’s primarily about Pedersen's friendship with Scott and how he tried to cope with and make sense of his death.
I’m about three quarters of the way through it right now and it’s really interesting (and obviously very sad).  

Well worth a read if you want to know a bit more about Scott, but it’s also interesting to read about the relationships Pedersen has had with with his other male friends, and if you’ve lost anyone close to you then the vivid descriptions of his grief with probably hit home too. 

Got this for Christmas , only about a quarter of the way through. Would usually have devoured my Christmas book by now but feel like I need to wait till the family is all back at school /work to find some quality quiet reading time to fully get into it.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not listened to FR for ages, had some health/emotional issues of late but feeling better; and somehow TMOF came up on Spotify and sitting here greeting unexpectedly on a Monday night! Some of those lyrics! I wish so much he was still around. 

On 10/05/2022 at 09:43, Meathead said:

It's been out for a few months now but Frank Turner's song 'A Wave Across A Bay' is about Scott:

My memories of those awful few days in May 2018 still feel so vivid - hard to believe four years have passed. Hope you're all doing alright.

I've got the LP of that single too. A great tune. I was listening to him play live on facebook during lockdown when he first played it, it near killed me.

On 11/05/2022 at 15:33, Mr. Brightside said:

Still hurts to this day. I think Scott and Phil O'Donnell are the only people that I don't know that I've been upset about dying. 

My Backwards Walk is my favourite song by Frightened Rabbit, what about you guys?

Mine is FootShooter closely followed by I Wish I was Sober. I just imagine how he was feeling when he came up with them...

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to get pedantic the last gig was at Kelvingrove in the December

Nice looking guest list: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/frightened-rabbit/2018/kelvingrove-bandstand-glasgow-scotland-4394b733.html

I could have sworn one of the Simon Neil one was on youtube but I'm not finding any now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

There was also footage of that Sam Fender bloke covering Frabbit. It was pretty decent.

Thanks for this, it’s a really good version. Makes me even more gutted that I couldn’t go, and that for some reason the BBC didn’t cover the headline act at all so there’s no good quality recording of it.

• 3 weeks later...

We had my Stepdaughter and her girlfriend round for drinks last night(both in their early 20s).  The girlfriend is a really good singer-song writer so always enjoy chatting about music with her.  My step daughter spent her teens ignoring my music mostly but now its the opposite and always asking to hear new(or old) stuff.

I mentioned Frightened Rabbit to her girlfriend and spoke about Scott. I was lucky to know him a bit, I played in a few bands when they were starting and he was very good mates of a mutual friend so I'd see Scott at parties etc from time to time..lovely man. 

When I've had a few I do have the tendency at a certain point of the night to get melancholic and stick Frightened Rabbit on. 

Anyway I played them Modern Leper last night and straight away the girlfriend said "oh my god I know this!" - turns out one of her fave artists had covered it.  She let me hear the cover version which I admit wasnt really my thing but nice enough.   But just great his music is getting exposure.  

I thought I'd share it here.  I know, like some of my mates I shared it with who thought it was poor, it wont go down well but one of my mates who has a teenage daughter into lana Del Ray, Taylor Swift etc said he played it to her and he's heard it on repeat in her room since 8am - so it might be a way of sneaking a great song into a playlist or car journey!

Julian Baker supported FRabbit on some of their later tours I’m sure. 

Her stuff is pretty good- as much as it’s great to pass our musical wisdom onto the younger generation it’s sometimes nice to take something from them too. 
Hence why, with my teenage daughters influence, I’m now a Taylor Swift fan 😂

If you ignore the poppy stuff then her songwriting is very similar to Scott’s- mostly stories of heartbreak, real and imaginary. Give it a try, especially the Folklore album.