Frightened Rabbit

Miguel Sanchez

Managed to listen to Sing the Greys and Midnight Organ Fight for the first time in about three years without crumbling into a mess a few weeks ago. Listening to Quietly Now! after few favourites, and a few whiskies, and feeling quite good. Love how the crowd react to every song, not during the song, but always a raucous applause afterwards. Not sure I could do a video with actual fans yet haha. One of my favourites were him and James Graham singing "Private Eyes" by Hall & Oates together in Sleazy's. What a time. (edit: Keep Yourself Warm has just started...)

1112779312_Screenshot2021-11-21at03_12_16.thumb.png.1cccf9d1209eac0aa85eaf2a20f5de6d.png

Edited by Smurph

Another whisky and we're onto the live songs for the first time in a while haha, he's just such a laugh. Gig was in Stereo sorry. Also have never felt a sense of closeness when he played 'Poke' in there. Literally felt every single note that he played go through my body, and paired with everyone in the audience singing along, with very few phones, it was so personal and intimate and perfect.

Edited by Smurph

Just going on covers, always loved this song for some reason. I never really listened to DCFC. Sure this has been posted a few times before.

To finish before I go to bed. Heard this a few times before but a few days after he passed I was in the Cathouse and this was played. Obviously fucking weird to say I was crying and hugging a dude I worked with in the Catty haha but it was just such a release, almost a perfect moment and we really just need it because we didn't know what to say. One of my favourite 'club classics' too. I normally struggle with this but have had a good night thinking about Scott and how much he meant to me and everyone else. It's just such a testament to the guy how many people celebrate his birthday, his music and his passing - he's just one of a kind and everyone misses him so much.

I've not listened to Sing the Greys or Pedestrian Verse. I'm not even sure why. I think the time when I physically wouldn't have been able to listen to Nitrous Gas again is gone anyway.

In 2016 they put out a special print for Sing the Greys' 10th anniversary, along with a hand-written lyric. There are a few songs and lines I wanted but I was disappointed with the one I got. As time has gone on and things have happened though I'm pretty sure I got the best one possible:

Untitled.thumb.png.7ca3ea5702a8e637cb672c0a655597df.png

On 21/11/2021 at 03:54, BillyAnchor said:

Is that your video?

I was about 6 feet to the left of whoever took the video.

Really sad to think that that was the last song of the last ever Frightened Rabbit gig.

I used to love it and hate it in equal measure when Billy would drag that fucking massive cymbal to the front of the stage- you'd know that it meant the last song of the night was coming up but also you'd know that the last song was always the Loneliness and the scream, and that Billy was going to batter f*ck out of the cymbal and everyone in the room would be singing along for a good five minutes after they left the stage.

Good times.

I stupidly told the wife about the Work book so she's bought it for my Christmas.  So I  know it's in my spare room but I'm not allowed to look at it yet!

1 hour ago, stevoraith said:

Is that your video?

I was about 6 feet to the left of whoever took the video.

Really sad to think that that was the last song of the last ever Frightened Rabbit gig.

I used to love it and hate it in equal measure when Billy would drag that fucking massive cymbal to the front of the stage- you'd know that it meant the last song of the night was coming up but also you'd know that the last song was always the Loneliness and the scream, and that Billy was going to batter f*ck out of the cymbal and everyone in the room would be singing along for a good five minutes after they left the stage.

Good times.

I stupidly told the wife about the Work book so she's bought it for my Christmas.  So I  know it's in my spare room but I'm not allowed to look at it yet!

No I just found it online.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I need a good Frabbit binge.

I do my faves often enough but I need to do the full catalogue/ youtube vids soon enough.

Just wanted to post a version of this as I think it is absolute poetry.

28 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

He seems happier here.

Watched that when it first came out and remember feeling really chuffed about the fact that he seemed to be in a good place and relatively content. That version of All i Want For Me is You is a bit special, one of the best songs he wrote which ended up somewhat hidden as an album track on the Owl John project. 

There are a few interviews towards the end of his life which are difficult to watch now. There's a Google Q&A from March 2018 where he seems quite visibly anxious, and clearly isn't enjoying himself. There are also a few clips from a solo show in Bristol around a fortnight before his death where something feels a bit off with him. Heartbreaking to watch now with hindsight.

Edited by Fratelli

I thought I'd posted this somewhere in the thread but here's an interview and track by track rundown of Dance Music by Mastersystem: Track-by-Track Guide: Mastersystem - Dance Music - GoldFlakePaint

SH: I am writing this from a bed with the curtains drawn on the sunniest day in Glasgow for quite some time. It’s so easy to slip into this mode, I love it and I hate it. I’m prone to depression. It’s not something I try to hide anymore, but being open about it doesn’t mean I don’t continue to have days where the idea of going outside borders on terrifying. I sometimes feel I could stay like this for weeks if I didn’t have shit to do. I think of Brian Wilson in his beddy days and feel envy. It’s no way to live though. I will probably head out after I’ve done this, honest. Might just watch one more episode of The Bridge.