Scottish Six

Crùbag

On the way, finally. If BBC Alba can do it then surely BBC Scotland can too.

Good reading here from Stuart Cosgrove in Bella. Interesting stuff. Something Labour supported though they may abstain on that as well now.

With BBC central embroiled in paedo and abuse scandals, is the news with a Scottish accent really the worst they could do?

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2016/02/25/dont-cringe-in-my-backyard/

Many of the daily newspapers, working from leaked documents accompanied their sneering with fanciful untruths the biggest being that the Scottish Six was evidence of a bully and dictatorial SNP. I know this to be fanciful – and probably malicious – since the idea of a Scottish Six is a long held aspiration of many people in news journalism in Scotland, and is really a child of the Labour-led devolution process. As far back as 1980, the Scottish Constitutional Convention, which the SNP boycotted saw improved news as a bridge to greater devolution of power. Labour and coalition administrations from 1999 onwards have supported the idea. I have been in the company of Donald Dewar, Jim Wallace, Jack McConnell and Henry McLeish when as First Minster, they all variously espoused the idea of dedicated Scottish nightly news.

The current mob who make and edit reporting scotland should be nowhere near it. Formulaic parochial shite run like they are broadcasting to a town of 10,000.

An La on Alba probably is broadcasting to about 10,000 and is miles ahead in terms of the quality of journalism and reporting international news.

The current mob who make and edit reporting scotland should be nowhere near it. Formulaic parochial shite run like they are broadcasting to a town of 10,000.

An La on Alba probably is broadcasting to about 10,000 and is miles ahead in terms of the quality of journalism and reporting international news.

There is some really good stuff on Alba. It's well presented and well produced.

The talent is undoubtedly there. This does not include Jackie Bird.

That Cosgrove article makes a good case for an effective Scottish Six. I've no problem with the idea in principle, but I worry that BBC Scotland doesn't have the funding to produce something of sufficient quality.

Another platform to promote division and engineer difference.

It would be basically like Radio Scotland's drive time show.

Mix of Scottish News, relevant UK News and International News making use of the BBC's correspondents.

Given a large number of Nationalists despise the BBC's coverage I'd suspect it would be more to your taste than theirs.

At present we get bombarded with stories about English Law, Education and Health that have no direct bearing on Scotland. The Junior Doctors' Strike may be an interesting story report on as an outsider but it is clearly not effecting the Scottish NHS and too often folk can get confused about what is and isn't happening in Scotland, especially in Health Care.

Equally the Scottish Govt and Holyrood suffer from a lack of mainstream prime time exposure and a Scottish Six would allow more analysis and interrogation of what goes on in Parliament, something you as a Unionist would surely appreciate.

It would be basically like Radio Scotland's drive time show.

Mix of Scottish News, relevant UK News and International News making use of the BBC's correspondents.

Given a large number of Nationalists despise the BBC's coverage I'd suspect it would be more to your taste than theirs.

At present we get bombarded with stories about English Law, Education and Health that have no direct bearing on Scotland. The Junior Doctors' Strike may be an interesting story report on as an outsider but it is clearly not effecting the Scottish NHS and too often folk can get confused about what is and isn't happening in Scotland, especially in Health Care.

Equally the Scottish Govt and Holyrood suffer from a lack of mainstream prime time exposure and a Scottish Six would allow more analysis and interrogation of what goes on in Parliament, something you as a Unionist would surely appreciate.

Good point well made

The need to drag in someone from London to comment on serious issues is completely disrespectful and patronising in the extreme.

I want to see news that covers more than Glasgow and Edinburgh. There's more to Scotland than that. If folk want to watch London based news let them watch the turgid goldfish bowl endless repetition of BBC News 24.

The need to drag in someone from London to comment on serious issues is completely disrespectful and patronising in the extreme.

I want to see news that covers more than Glasgow and Edinburgh. There's more to Scotland than that. If folk want to watch London based news let them watch the turgid goldfish bowl endless repetition of BBC News 24.

Correct.When i lived in Angus Grampian Tv covered Aberdeen a wee bit of Dundee and sod the rest.

Versions of the 'Scottish Six' appear in various other guises - Scottish newspaper editions, BBC Alba - with award winning and outward looking programs like Eorpa. You could also say that Scots Law, education, NHS and churches operate on the same principle.

If the Faroes can do it, why can't we?

More from Bella here.

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2016/02/29/the-news-at-six/

And yon Ken Macintosh interview. No wonder Labour are dying on their feet - not only is anything Scottish sneered at but their level of debate would make a primary kid seem infantile.

I often watch news coverage of famines, disasters, wars, etc and think to myself "I wish they were telling me about this from a Scottish perspective"

Are you really stupid enough to think that's the reason for this or does the thought of anything Scottish get you so angry you just say stupid things?

Archived