Pacific Islands

craigkillie

My wife and I are keen to go on holiday somewhere in the Pacific at some point this year - possibly October. At the moment, we're thinking about New Caledonia because it's closest to Sydney, but we're finding it difficult to distinguish between them all. We're basically looking for somewhere with some nice beaches and with some good walking options, which is probably pretty much anywhere.

Has anyone been to New Caledonia, or indeed any of the others? Any advice?

The girlfriend is desperate to go to Bora Bora at some point... No idea what it's like but it's popular with American types so god only knows. I personality would love to go to Easter Island but that's not much of a beach holiday type place.

Bora Bora is eye watering for prices, but you can stay in a pension along the road for about £50 a night for the two of you.

I've been to Fiji twice, first time was a backpack tour, second time was at First Landing resort in Nadi, was a decent hotel and is part owned by a guy from Perth of all places!

Rarotonga would be where I would head to if I was still down there, it's meant to be stunning...

Hawai'i away from Oahu is pretty culturally different but obviously still heavily American influenced. Kauai and Hawai'i both have some fantastic walking though and are pretty remote in places, Maui is a bit more popular as a tourist spot. The walking around the Na Pali Coast in Kauai in particular is great, with a large variety of trails to suit anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Bora Bora is eye watering for prices, but you can stay in a pension along the road for about £50 a night for the two of you.

I've been to Fiji twice, first time was a backpack tour, second time was at First Landing resort in Nadi, was a decent hotel and is part owned by a guy from Perth of all places!

Rarotonga would be where I would head to if I was still down there, it's meant to be stunning...

I can second that, Rarotonga is awesome and has a direct flight from Sydney with Air New Zealand I believe

I can second that, Rarotonga is awesome and has a direct flight from Sydney with Air New Zealand I believe

Been looking into Rarotonga recently and we like the look of it.  Where did you stay?  Any recommendations?

Yeah I saw the pictures ya jammy git!

It's a hard life :P

Been looking into Rarotonga recently and we like the look of it.  Where did you stay?  Any recommendations?

We rented a villa on the opposite side of the road from Muri Beach, it was just easier for us with a 2 year old and having the extra space compared to a hotel room, was much the same price as well.

I was in and out of a few of the hotels around us and they were all decent.

Archived