Dundee v Hearts

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an absolute steal he was. Going to be some player.

Playing with better players who's confidence is pretty high has probably helped.

Anyway a reaction is needed, I don't think there will be many changes to our team barring any injuries, hopefully Wighton gets a decent run out or starts.

Got hospitality for this so should be dece what ever the score is.

Our results of late have been good but performances have not been. Dundee are a decent side despite the sevco trouncing so will definitely pose us problems.

Will happily take a point from this.

No idea why anyone would be happy with a point here. If we keep our winning run going between now and the split, bearing in mind we play Aberdeen in that time too, then 2nd place is there for the taking.

Silly draws away from home are the reason why we're not even closer than we are right now to them and Sellick. I'd be surprised if the team that finishes 4th this season even gets to as many points as we have now since it's so tight in mid-table.

Throw caution to the wind.

No idea why anyone would be happy with a point here. If we keep our winning run going between now and the split, bearing in mind we play Aberdeen in that time too, then 2nd place is there for the taking.

Silly draws away from home are the reason why we're not even closer than we are right now to them and Sellick. I'd be surprised if the team that finishes 4th this season even gets to as many points as we have now since it's so tight in mid-table.

You're not wrong, it's completely the away form that's done us.  At home Celtic have picked up 36 points, Hearts 33 & Aberdeen 31 with Celtic having played a game more. 

Contrast that to the away form where we've only picked up 20 compared to Celtic's 27 & Aberdeen's 28. 

Have a go on Saturday, losing is pretty much no worse than drawing at this stage.

Hamilton gave us a hard game after getting humped by Celtic, Dundee United gave us a hard game after getting humped by Motherwell. Add in the fact that Dundee are usually a decent team and that we struggle to win away from home and I can see this being another tough game.

I'm struggling to be that bothered either way. Yes, we're still in the hunt for 2nd place but Aberdeen already have the points advantage as well as an easier run of games up until we play them just before the split. I can see them extending that lead over the next few weeks and the last few weeks being a bit of a non-event (which isn't a complaint btw). It feels as though we're in a transitional period with a few positions needing strengthened and I'm mostly just looking forward to the summer.

We are not performing well at the moment, i'm clearly not the only hearts fan to think this.

I'd be full of confidence if we were ripping teams apart, scoring at will and playing to a high level, we've not played this way for a long time.

Yes were winning games but not convincingly.

Dundee are the best of the rest as far as i'm concerned, will be looking to bounce back after the weekend and with us being lethargic at best, i'm more than happy to take a point.

That's my rationale.

eta- as you said, our away form over the piece has not been as good as it could be, further evidence saturday's game will not be easy.

What are your thoughts on Neilson?

Many were pissed off with Neilsons substitutions in the last game aye?

He made f**k-ups in both the Dundee games. In the game at Dens he played a bizarre 4-4-2 diamond with Ozturk in defensive midfield and Gomis and Buaben as the wider midfielders, before changing it at half time. In the home game we were well on top until Billy King got injured and he bizarrely chose to replace him with Gomis which curtailed our attacking momentum and probably let Dundee get back into the game.

He occasionally has the tendency to give the opposition too much respect and overthink his tactics, particularly on big occasions, although I think that's happened less often recently. We haven't done much in cup competitions, although we've drawn Celtic early on in 3/4 since he took over. Our derby performances have been uninspiring which has disproportionately counted against him in the eyes of the fans. Last season we always played the ball out from the back, which annoyed fans because we'd occasionally get caught in possession against the better teams and this season we're often much more direct, which annoys fans because it isn't as easy on the eye.

On the other hand, I think his signings have been mostly good and it's clear that a lot of thought goes into the signing policy, even if they don't all necessarily work out. I also like that, whether we play well or not, we tend to get a result, even in the "big games" that Neilson is (fairly) criticised for. We've only lost twice in the league since the disaster against Aberdeen in September even though I doubt anyone would claim we've played well in all of those games. Even then, the two defeats can probably be put down to an individual error (McGhee's bizarre handball against Aberdeen and his stupid sending off against Dundee United).

The best indicator of his overall performance is the league table. Last year we certainly weren't favourites to win the league, but we wrapped the league up by March. This season the best we were likely to do was finish third, and we've wrapped that up by March. Looking at the big picture, you have to say he's done a very good job.

Archived