Natalie McGarry- Again

Tom McB

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

See my post above.

She stood for a Fife council by election and had a bit of a mare at the hustings, an MSP that I know was aware of this and could have added his tuppence worth(maybe he did) but she was selected anyway for the Glasgow seat.

Candidates are selected by Constituency Associations and not by party HQ so unless this MSP was willing to write to the Secretary of the local CA to warn them she did shite in a debate once? It's not really grounds for blocking someone's future candidacy and even if was having a mare at hustings seems pretty groundless as she then went on to win the election.

Or am I missing something and she said at the hustings she was mad for the embezzling?

10 hours ago, ScotSquid said:

They can be blamed for their pisspoor vetting procedures. She's not the first disaster they've had. 

After their Bill Walker nightmare you'd have thought their procedures would be rigourous, but they aren't. 

5 minutes spent interviewing McGarry should have been plenty time to identify her roasteriness. There's also Michelle Thomson, not to mention their homophobic bigot fringe.

They need to do much better. I think the sums involved here make a custodial sentence likely if convicted. It's a huge embarrassment for the SNP, but hopefully a lesson they will learn for the next selection round.

What type of vetting procedures should have been put in place?  

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Short of inventing some sort of minority report technology I'm not sure what the SNP could have done in this case.

Have you never actually heard McGarry speak? Embezzlement is only one of the issues here. Even without that, she's a bonkers roaster that's a total embarrassment . Look at her Twitter feed. Or well, you can't actually because she's such a minter it can't be available to the public. 

Vetting procedures should include a suitability interview. No one with quarter of a brain could have interviewed this mess and thought 'aye, she ll be great '. I know the bar isn't high with the likes of Pete Wishart, John Mason and Angus MacNeill, but she's a new standard of dross that should have been emptied before she ever stood.

I think Mr Rational admitted as much earlier. If the SNP had known in advance they were going to win so many seats they'd have thought more about the roaster types they've ended up with.

48 minutes ago, ScotSquid said:

Have you never actually heard McGarry speak? Embezzlement is only one of the issues here. Even without that, she's a bonkers roaster that's a total embarrassment . Look at her Twitter feed. Or well, you can't actually because she's such a minter it can't be available to the public. 

Vetting procedures should include a suitability interview. No one with quarter of a brain could have interviewed this mess and thought 'aye, she ll be great '. I know the bar isn't high with the likes of Pete Wishart, John Mason and Angus MacNeill, but she's a new standard of dross that should have been emptied before she ever stood.

I think Mr Rational admitted as much earlier. If the SNP had known in advance they were going to win so many seats they'd have thought more about the roaster types they've ended up with.

Before she became an MP she was a regular political pundit on Scotland Tonight so she couldn't have been that much of a roaster. I never heard anyone saying did you hear her on Scotland Tonight what a roaster!

She was competent enough and was high profile on social media. Then she made a couple of controversial comments on Twitter and paid the price for it.

No idea what's happened with the missing funds, but I'm sure we'll find out shortly. If she is guilty then she will get everything that is due to her.

Your post is made with the benefit of hindsight and lets you get a few digs at the SNP into the bargain. There is no vetting procedure in the world that could have foreseen the mess McGarry has got herself into - and that goes for all party's, all have a few roasters in their ranks.

3 hours ago, ScotSquid said:

I'm certainly of the view that she is a roaster and unfortunately I still have access to her twitter. I should really mute but it's the car crash principle.

However, before she went full Kurd I'm not sure on what basis the assessment panel would block her application to be on the approved candidate list. I don't even know when she went on the approves candidate list, could have been years ago.

From my own observations I would say she doesn't keep well.

Vetting procedures absolutely do include a suitability interview but I'm not sure what you expect them to throw up.

What has did change between Westminster 2015 and Holyrood 2016 is that you do now have to account for your social media activity. 

I think you are placing an unfair expectation on the SNP, and indeed all political parties, as to the quality of individuals who make it onto their approved candidates lists. They aren't exactly turning away great statesman or captains of industry.

Edited by invergowrie arab

36 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm certainly of the view that she is a roaster and unfortunately I still have access to her twitter. I should really mute but it's the car crash principle.

However, before she went full Kurd I'm not sure on what basis the assessment panel would block her application to be on the approved candidate list. I don't even know when she went on the approves candidate list, could have been years ago.

From my own observations I would say she doesn't keep well.

Vetting procedures absolutely do include a suitability interview but I'm not sure what you expect them to throw up.

What has did change between Westminster 2015 and Holyrood 2016 is that you do now have to account for your social media activity. 

I think you are placing an unfair expectation on the SNP, and indeed all political parties, as to the quality of individuals who make it onto their approved candidates lists. They aren't exactly turning away great statesman or captains of industry.

Any straw will do him, it's ok that we've got racists, misogynists, nutters, conmen, rapists, paedos ingrained in the top of the pile across the UK but the SNP must stop every ne'er-do-well from taking public office or they're hopeless.

It's not fair to say this is something similar until a lot more facts are known about Law's issue.

How many more of these are there? Good to see the SNP bringing a new type of politics to Westminster. 

This is the problem when monkeys with yellow rosettes are elected. Law is another complete cretin, irrespective of whether he is guilty of any offences here.

Maybe the campaigns that sprung up around the referendum didn't have experienced people administering leading to issues. There's always the chance you get people who just pocket spare cash but a lot of the time people end up getting mixed up or use cash thinking they can pay it back.

Not a comment on the specific cases of course. I was involved in running clubs etc at University and you'd get stuff like that happening - people just weren't properly organised.

Maybe the campaigns that sprung up around the referendum didn't have experienced people administering leading to issues. There's always the chance you get people who just pocket spare cash but a lot of the time people end up getting mixed up or use cash thinking they can pay it back.

Not a comment on the specific cases of course. I was involved in running clubs etc at University and you'd get stuff like that happening - people just weren't properly organised.

I think "using cash thinking they can pay it back" is called embezzlement when they can't and the balloon goes up.