Natalie McGarry- Again

Tom McB

16 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Hope she's very happy with her criminal record and tory husband.

Got to assume she's more happy with the latter than the former.  They have a baby now, got to assume she'll get a suspended sentence or something like that, although I don't know how courts normally treat offences like this.  She didn't plead guilty for a significant period which might count against her, although again I'm not sure.

ETA, details

She pleaded guilty to charges of transferring money raised at Women for Independence fundraising events to her personal bank account and using cheques drawn from the WfI account to deposit money into her own account.  She also failed to transfer charitable donations to Perth and Kinross food bank and Positive Prison, Positive Future.  She also admitted embezzling £4661.02 in the course of her role as Glasgow Regional Association SNP treasurer, secretary and convener.  The end dates for both offences was after she was elected as an MP, meaning she was stealing money while sitting as an MP.

Edited by ICTChris

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Pleaded guilty to two of the four charges, admitting to embezzeling more than £25,000.  She took £21,000 from  Women for Independence for her own use.

Natalie totally misunderstanding the ideas behind the feminist anthem Sisters Are Doing it for Themselves, there.

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Got to assume she's more happy with the latter than the former.  They have a baby now, got to assume she'll get a suspended sentence or something like that, although I don't know how courts normally treat offences like this.  She didn't plead guilty for a significant period which might count against her, although again I'm not sure.

I would say a custodial sentence would be appropriate here, but as you say a suspended sentence will probably be imposed  - especially if she finds a way of repaying all that dosh.

12 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I would say a custodial sentence would be appropriate here, but as you say a suspended sentence will probably be imposed  - especially if she finds a way of repaying all that dosh.

Yeah, the details read terribly.  The members of the organisations involved must be shattered, you join a political organisation and pay money towards it for charity and political activity and it gets pocketed.  Real betrayal.  I'm sure a lot of the people involved were personal friends as well, absolutely terrible.

Edited by ICTChris

34 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

ETA, details

She pleaded guilty to charges of transferring money raised at Women for Independence fundraising events to her personal bank account and using cheques drawn from the WfI account to deposit money into her own account.  She also failed to transfer charitable donations to Perth and Kinross food bank and Positive Prison, Positive Future.  She also admitted embezzling £4661.02 in the course of her role as Glasgow Regional Association SNP treasurer, secretary and convener.  The end dates for both offences was after she was elected as an MP, meaning she was stealing money while sitting as an MP.

Was she a gambling addict or compulsive shopper or something? Seems a bit unnecessary when you're earning 70 grand or whatever plus expenses. I see hubby has worked in public sector audit as well, so just being shite at admin doesn't sound likely.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

ETA, details

That's horrendous, she should go to jail for that.

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Yeah, the details read terribly.  The members of the organisations involved must be shattered, you join a political organisation and pay money towards it for charity and political activity and it gets pocketed.  Real betrayal.  I'm sure a lot of the people involved were personal friends as well, absolutely terrible.

I know one high profile member who definitely will be. Betrayal is the only word that can be used. 

Hopefully Cornton Vale beckons for her

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I'm probably being a bit dense here, but why is the trial going ahead after she's plead guilty to 2 of the charges and had not guilty pleas accepted on the other 2?

Surely it isn't, and it's only been adjourned to reconvene for sentencing?

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Surely it isn't, and it's only been adjourned to reconvene for sentencing?

I dunno, the way it's being reported is that it's been postponed till 1st May.  I would have thought it would just be sentencing as well.

McGarry, who had previously sacked her legal team, disagreed with part of the written narrative and asked Sheriff Paul Crozier to allow her time to get new legal advice.

Crozier said: “You have been given this grace and it is in your best interest to contact your solicitor and to tell them to get in touch with the procurator fiscal.” He adjourned the trial until next week.

4 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I dunno, the way it's being reported is that it's been postponed till 1st May.  I would have thought it would just be sentencing as well.

Weird. She must want something changed in the narrative. Must be something to do with how it's going to be summed up prior to sentencing or something like that, as you say it surely can't change anything as there is now no verdict to reach on any charge. Maybe an elite legal mind can help us here @The OP

3 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

She's got a reasonably well-off Tory husband. Money will be paid pack quietly and she'll get a slap on the wrist. The fucking bunny boiler should be doing time for that though. 

Not quite, The Proceeds of Crime team will be after her now. everything she used the money for (a house or houses I'm guessing ) will be totted up and taken from her.