Shire vs Clyde

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stenny. Aye, right you are! Totally get your point Luggy, but is it not a bit simplistic to say 'because of Shire'? You've defintely had as rough a ride as anyone in the game, but the pyramid was Regan and Doncasters' wet dream, rather than an act of cutting off the deadwood. The likes of Spartans (shafted for a League spot three times now) i can't imagine harbouring any greivance towards you just because of where you finished for a long time, they certainly werent at the forefront of any great campaign for relegation. The blunt truth is it would be a lie to say that many would 'miss' Shire, same as not many would miss anyone else, but as Quentin points out, surviving even this long against all odds is something to take strength from, and a lesson to other clubs and supporters out there. It'll be intetesting to see how welcoming Brora or Cove are to fifteen visiting fans on a pishing wet Tuesday night when things don't go so well and they don't win 15-0 every week if they indeed replace you. I think not.

Their shouldnt even be a playoff,you finish bottom your down end off!! That may come in the future,for now it is what it is.There seems to be all this doom and gloom talk bout going down but look at the quality of some of the teams in both leagues,Cove,Brora,Formartine,Ed City,Spartans+EK.It has to be remembered both leagues(SHFL and SLFL) are now fully licensed,every team in both leagues,the standard is reasonable.Sooner or later somebody is going down,I actually think it's quite exciting(though for the team's involved they won't think so),for too long teams who finished bottom of the SPFL knew they were safe due to the closed shop.

Their shouldnt even be a playoff,you finish bottom your down end off!! That may come in the future,for now it is what it is.There seems to be all this doom and gloom talk bout going down but look at the quality of some of the teams in both leagues,Cove,Brora,Formartine,Ed City,Spartans+EK.It has to be remembered both leagues(SHFL and SLFL) are now fully licensed,every team in both leagues,the standard is reasonable.Sooner or later somebody is going down,I actually think it's quite exciting(though for the team's involved they won't think so),for too long teams who finished bottom of the SPFL knew they were safe due to the closed shop.

I don't have any problem with the bottom team being relegated although I do think a one off game at a neutral park may be a better option.

Hi WV. It was genuine. Your view is no doubt similar to many in the LL and HL. We need to hear more of supporters from such as you. We have a last goes down in the other divisions why not SPFL 2? Happens in English league. Would you suggest play off of HL/LL winners go straight up and 10th in League 2 go down. Certainly not as complicated as the play off system to the Premiership.

Aye Luggy. Look at the frenzy play off finals create in England.....but then how many fans would we see turn up for a one off at McDiarmid Park for maybe Elgin V Annan. ( Please Elgin and Annan fans don't try to tell me. It's an example.)

Perhaps ES v Cove then.

Agree with you both,refreshing to see both your posts. It's no easy following smaller clubs like ours,hats off to all that do. Clyde may well grace league 1 yet maxruby and do not despair luggy if Shire go down,in the long run it may well be the best thing to happen to them.Sometimes being relegated gives you a goal and energy back to make your way back up to where you think you belong.

Well we thought that a few seasons ago! Oops.

BTW edited my previous post so as to avoid any vitriolic comments from the fine guys at both Elgin and Annan.

Lol,aye there's a few sensitive types on here!! I would have the winner of the HL/LL playoff final go straight up,the bottom side in league 2 go down to whatever league geographiclly they're from. Best of luck tae the bully wee mate for the rest of the season!

Agree with you both,refreshing to see both your posts. It's no easy following smaller clubs like ours,hats off to all that do. Clyde may well grace league 1 yet maxruby and do not despair luggy if Shire go down,in the long run it may well be the best thing to happen to them.Sometimes being relegated gives you a goal and energy back to make your way back up to where you think you belong.

If the Shire go down there is probably only a 20% chance they would survive to take their place in the LL but that's all for a later day.

If the Shire go down there is probably only a 20% chance they would survive to take their place in the LL but that's all for a later day.

have to say luggy don't think it's a certainty that shire would lose a play off good attacking options defence might be problem

Can i ask why the 20 per cent chance of merely surviving? No wish to be flippant, but Montrose fans were all walking about with the 'end is nigh' sandwich boards on last year, turning on the locals and everyone who'd turned their back on their club (correctly imo), this has been around long enough now surely for all clubs to consider, the same as clubs should be budgeting for worst case finish anyway whatever league they are in? The unfair pelters given to Shire from non-league sides hopefully bites one or two on the arse when they inevitably do get promoted, as they'll maybe see how difficult it has been for Shire and others (not least Clyde) when they stop scudding their opponents every week, and the novelty wears off for the moneymen. Running a bang-average mob 80 miles north of Inverness will be no easier than running a third club in a district containing the team with the highest per-head of population support in the country, and when they get fed up we'll have maybe lost the good, committed people of Shire from the game, and for nothing.

I would go on to say even if we win the play off there is probably only a 70% chance we will start next season.

At present the club is being run by probably 2 people with maybe another 4 helping on match days , even yesterday it was a struggle to get enough people to help with the terracing being open.

We certainly can't afford to play at Stenny with the reduced income from being in the LL and the only other option Grangemouth stadium already has a junior team playing at it and to top it off you don't receive the payment for dropping down till the end of next season which in short is no good to a cash strapped club. Is that enough?

Can i ask why the 20 per cent chance of merely surviving? No wish to be flippant, but Montrose fans were all walking about with the 'end is nigh' sandwich boards on last year, turning on the locals and everyone who'd turned their back on their club (correctly imo)

what's this supposed to mean?

who "turned on the locals" last year? doesn't even make any sense.

Being in a relegation play off is a fate I wouldn't wish on anybody. Our club would have really struggled to survive had we been relegated last year- many gave us two years tops. This wasn't empty doom-mongering: it was a very real threat based on the evidence of the time.

We're moving towards a much stronger position off the park which will help us on it in years to come. I hope the same happens for the Shire as really I see no reason to doubt their fans pessimism as to their future, if they do not survive a 10th placed finish this season.

Archived