Queen's Park v Annan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least this performance has sorted Annan's defensive formation out!

Now defence picks itself,at long last![/quote

8 of tonight's team started the away game against QP back in Aug. (1 nil to Annan) ! !

Hart ,McNiff,Watson,Black,Swinglehurst,Todd,Flynn & Wethearson.

With part time teams there are always reason for changes but sometimes needless disruption or tampering just causes unrest.

At least this performance has sorted Annan's defensive formation out!

Now defence picks itself,at long last![/quote

8 of tonight's team started the away game against QP back in Aug. (1 nil to Annan) ! !

Hart ,McNiff,Watson,Black,Swinglehurst,Todd,Flynn & Wethearson.

With part time teams there are always reason for changes but sometimes needless disruption or tampering just causes unrest.

I think our main problem has been Swinglehurst and Blackie being injured for weeks / months. Couple that with the fact Weatherson has been out for a while too and maybe there's a reason we've been dropping points. We need a steady team selection from now till the end of the season to be back in with a chance.

Spoonsy by the way.... Three free kicks on the trot in the back of the net!!!

What a result tonight!

As said previously good to see Blackie, Swinglehurst and Weatherson back in the starting line up. Also nice to see Hart back in goals.

This result keeps us in the race for the playoffs.

I wish we could have taken more than 3 off at HT ( not that it mattered, game was gone by then) Virtually the whole team looked lost out there and MacPherson has to take an equal share of the blame for that. There was absolutely no need for him to make the changes to the team and formation that he did after what was – result aside - a good second half performance at Montrose. I still don’t know what he was thinking. We effectively played with no right back and Galt is no Shaun Rooney. We were completely exposed down that flank

An awful display in a season full of far too many sub standard home performances. I’m not buying the old line that some opposition raise their game playing at “The National Stadiumâ€... they haven't had to. It really would be better if we played every game away.  Our away form has kept us in the top 4. Probably not for long

Christ almighty. No wonder the players' bottle has crashed this early, if the fans are in such a flap over the sort of result typical of the season. No need to fall apart like a Belarussian-manufactured deckchair at this point, as Annan won't pick up any more points than you this year. Best save the fury for the inevitable, and much more hilarious, playoff debacle.

The fans are not just in a flap about the result, it was the performance of the team! No where near the team I have watched in previous weeks. Nothing was working and the passing was shocking. Numerous games we have outplayed the other team and just couldn't score but the first half performance last night was unbelievably bad and not the usual standard.

Gus makes too many changes to the starting line up each week I think. There's no consistency. Galt was playing at right back nearly, why not have Woods right mid, at least he can defend. Galt can't. Burns had a shocking first half but played better when McLeish came on at left back. I prefer McLeish there with Burns at left mid. Berry and McKernon only pass backwards or sideways, it's ridiculous.

I don't understand Gus's subs at half time either. Be interesting to see the line up on Saturday and how the team perform.

Just watched the Gus interview after last night’s game. He always talks about defensive errors costing us. Surely our defence has been the only reason we have been in the top five, we have still conceded less goals than anyone else. Ok the defence has had a few off days but our forwards have struggled and that’s why we have not won games when we have been the better team.

To be honest I am not convinced this QP team is good enough for the play offs and the only reason we are still in the hunt is because of the inconsistency of the other top 4/5 teams. I still rate Gus as a coach and he should be applauded for leading us out of the disaster that was Gardner Spiers last season. Maybe we just have to accept that the team are not quite good enough and start building for next season. 

Of course I do hope I am wrong but being realistic will make the rest of the season a bit more bearable.

Hold the bus lads, Annan had their better players back and in the first half we absolutely spanked Queen's Park out of the ground. If the players remain fit we will be challenging in the playoffs you can bet on that

Just watched the Gus interview after last night’s game. He always talks about defensive errors costing us. Surely our defence has been the only reason we have been in the top five, we have still conceded less goals than anyone else. Ok the defence has had a few off days but our forwards have struggled and that’s why we have not won games when we have been the better team.

To be honest I am not convinced this QP team is good enough for the play offs and the only reason we are still in the hunt is because of the inconsistency of the other top 4/5 teams. I still rate Gus as a coach and he should be applauded for leading us out of the disaster that was Gardner Spiers last season. Maybe we just have to accept that the team are not quite good enough and start building for next season. 

Of course I do hope I am wrong but being realistic will make the rest of the season a bit more bearable.

I admire your work Mission but have to disagree on the comment above. Firstly, that season was almost split down the middle between games for both coaches and I know Gus inherited that squad (which I'm sure Speirs wouldn't have wished on anyone) but usually a team gets some kind of lift from a new coach and it just didn't happen. 

New season comes, Gus picks his own squad and we get to the play-offs, almost made promotion. Great! But the writing was on the wall back then. From just before Xmas 2014 we stuttered along with a number of draws, largely due to lack of firepower. This season comes along and I'm thinking we might have a chance and Gus has learned from his errors the previous year. No Roy Race but a decent mix of attacking midfielders that could maybe compensate collectively for us lacking a Gunn or Austin. Galt, McLeish, Bradley, McKernon all looking lively going forward. Over the course of the season though they, and several others, have played the hokey-cokey every week and found they are in a team designed not to lose rather than to win. No surprise then that any of them have struggled to get a run of form going. Confidence is rock-bottom and cunning ball players have now become play-safe scaredy cats. One bad game and you're back on the bench, that's Gus style.

His positional set-up isn't playing to his squad's capability. And the various combinations being tried over the last few games confirms to me that he doesn't understand how to get the best from this squad. His squad. On Saturday he switched mid-second half from what looks like a 541 but is more like a 5221 to a 442 which ended up as a 424. WTF! Flinging players up the pitch and playing hoofball won't work - ever. Pass to feet through the thirds, Play to players facing the opposition goal rather than your own goal That's what these guys are good at. Let them eat cake Gus.

Two great strikes by Weatherston, and a good finish too for the third. Of course Annan will be up there contending.

To answer Shaggro, it's not that a defeat to anyone in this league is a surprise, it's that we're a shambles. How did their no. 8 get into the box so easily for the second goal? The same player got a clear run from the centre circle for the third. Best defence in the league?

I think I remember Clyde fans having similar hysterical reaction to defeat, but they have strengthened, we are flatlining somewhere around draw minus.

I haven't enjoyed this season much at all....maybe my expectation was too high given where we left off at the end of last season, but even when we dominate possession we never look secure. 

Looking back we have dropped points all over the place, I keep wondering how we have reached the play-off positions. I think the despair is the lack of confidence that we can do any damage if we do get there.

I'm not ready yet to say it's a direct result of the coach.  I may be wrong, and I don't see the wisdom in long speculative punts given our resources.  We don't have a Weatherstone, but we no longer have a Rooney, Ralston, Spittal,

Feel free to remind me of this bitter outburst if we win the league.

Archived