Buncrana Pier family death

Fide

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/buncrana-pier-hero-davitt-walsh-meets-mother-of-rescued-infant-1.2583733

I'm not sure this has been discussed yet on here, couldn't see a thread.

I'm not sure if this hit home doubly hard because I'm a Dad, but this story took the fucking wind out me at the weekend.  That poor woman has lost her partner, two kids, sister and mother.  The heroism of Davitt Walsh who swam out and rescued the little baby is just breathtaking.  He's given Louise Daniels something to live for.

Some news stories just punch you in the stomach.

Must be incredibly fucked up for the boy that saved the baby also. Despite doing something utterly selfless and heroic, he will probably feel guilty for being unable to help the rest.

What keeps people going when faced with such overwhelming tragedy?

Folk were saying that about the Dunblane head teacher.  He had to help the police identify the bodies of the children in the gym hall.  Horrific. 

Must be incredibly fucked up for the boy that saved the baby also. Despite doing something utterly selfless and heroic, he will probably feel guilty for being unable to help the rest.

I saw him being interviewed on TV.  That was pretty much what he said.

An absolutely heartbreaking story. The bit that got me was when the guy who saved the baby said he had a hold of one of the other kids too but couldn't free him. He said the dad passed the baby through the window and said "please save the baby" and went back to be with the rest of his family.

Can't comprehend what the woman is going through.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/buncrana-pier-hero-davitt-walsh-meets-mother-of-rescued-infant-1.2583733

I'm not sure this has been discussed yet on here, couldn't see a thread.

I'm not sure if this hit home doubly hard because I'm a Dad, but this story took the fucking wind out me at the weekend.  That poor woman has lost her partner, two kids, sister and mother.  The heroism of Davitt Walsh who swam out and rescued the little baby is just breathtaking.  He's given Louise Daniels something to live for.

Some news stories just punch you in the stomach.

I heard the parish priest, an eyewitness, the rescuer and the dad's brother being interviewed. Would have brought tears to a glass eye.

Since having kids this kind of thing randomly comes to mind now and again, even the mere thought is tough. Horrific for the wife, and I suspect the rescuer guy will never get over this.

How to escape a submerging car, video included, watch it:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/outdoors/tips/a11919/how-to-escape-a-submerged-car-15510924/

It obviously hasn't been dissected in absolute detail, but how did they not manage to get out?  Especially as it's been stated that the Dad 'went back to be with the rest'  - surely that implies that he was either partly or fully out of the car, if he could do that, why could all the rest not?

Archived