Lib Dems at it again

If I had personal political ambitions I wouldn't be a member of the Scottish Liberal Democrats.
If I had personal political ambitions I wouldn't be a member of the Scottish Liberal Democrats.
Quite the contrary, a pathetic nothing party like that offers by far the easiest route of self progress. If you wanted to be in government it offers nnothing.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh look, it's not about the subject, it's about Ad Lib again.

2566911-4995129280-13965.jpg

That's probably a fair point. A question would be as to how that arises though?

Arrogance does tend to rile.

Still, at least you haven't risen to it.

Mmm, you did stand for election?

To have political ambitions is not to align yourself behind a winner. You did/do wish to further the political ambitions of the Liberal party.

Quite the contrary, a pathetic nothing party like that offers by far the easiest route of self progress. If you wanted to be in government it offers nothing.

Do you even read what you write before you post it? Progress requires getting somewhere. Being a member of the Liberal Democrats gets you absolutely nowhere. Literally all I have to show for 5 years' membership and an election campaign is several hundreds of pounds and hours spent on travel, campaign materials, Conference and membership fees and a Metro article of me stifling a laugh behind Jim Murphy. It's not exactly the most efficient way to get political influence.

I would get far further as a prospective Parliamentary candidate if I were to do something like "f**k off and join the Tories" almost by default. I'm a member of the Lib Dems because my values are liberal and the Lib Dems are the least illiberal of the parties at Holyrood. It's not complicated.

Mmm, you did stand for election?

To have political ambitions is not to align yourself behind a winner. You did/do wish to further the political ambitions of the Liberal party.

I was asked by a local party to be their candidate and since I'd given the Toast to the Lassies at their Burns Supper the year before and they seemed a nice bunch I agreed to help them out. There was the perk of getting to tear into Jim Murphy at a few hustings, which were fun because I like arguing with people.

I didn't run in East Renfrewshire, a seat that no "Liberal" or similar candidate has won since the First World War, to advance any personal political ambitions. Of course I was trying to advance liberal and Liberal values in the process, but that wasn't an "ambition" in the way you're trying to suggest.

Do you even read what you write before you post it? Progress requires getting somewhere. Being a member of the Liberal Democrats gets you absolutely nowhere. Literally all I have to show for 5 years' membership and an election campaign is several hundreds of pounds and hours spent on travel, campaign materials, Conference and membership fees and a Metro article of me stifling a laugh behind Jim Murphy. It's not exactly the most efficient way to get political influence.

I would get far further as a prospective Parliamentary candidate if I were to do something like "f**k off and join the Tories" almost by default. I'm a member of the Lib Dems because my values are liberal and the Lib Dems are the least illiberal of the parties at Holyrood. It's not complicated.

sure. But it'sIinfinitely easier to progress within a nothing party than a real one.

You do come across very tory actually, I think that's your natural home.

Sure. But it's infinitely easier to progress within a nothing party than a real one.

You do come across very Tory actually; I think that's your natural home.

Okay Fuzzy. If you say so.

I was asked by a local party to be their candidate and since I'd given the Toast to the Lassies at their Burns Supper the year before and they seemed a nice bunch I agreed to help them out. There was the perk of getting to tear into Jim Murphy at a few hustings, which were fun because I like arguing with people.

I didn't run in East Renfrewshire, a seat that no "Liberal" or similar candidate has won since the First World War, to advance any personal political ambitions. Of course I was trying to advance liberal and Liberal values in the process, but that wasn't an "ambition" in the way you're trying to suggest.

You're very dismissive and patronising in your first paragraph. I suppose that aloofness is what pisses folk off. I think that's where i started my comments here.

You're second paragraph I broadly agree with, ignoring the semantics.

I'll leave it there and feel free to take the final word.

You're very dismissive and patronising in your first paragraph. I suppose that aloofness is what pisses folk off. I think that's where i started my comments here.

For it to be aloofness seems to imply it isn't deliberate and that I'm being entirely serious. ;)

Okay, I will put the story to rest now.

Helen had never voted Tory in her life, she's been a Lib for decades, possibly all her life. She's active in the Libs out West Edinburgh, was relatively active for BT and will probably be laughing her head off at this.

It's a complete non-story - it must be a slow news day as every party had engaged in this type thing over the years, yes even the SNP has previous for it (we just used to get away with it more as the media didn't bother checking out leaflets).

She's actually quite a nice person. She knows I'm active and that I stood for election last time round, she actually wished me well at the time, a lot of my family didn't. Politics is something that's not talked about though but that's fair enough.

It's a complete non-story - it must be a slow news day as every party had engaged in this type thing over the years, yes even the SNP has previous for it (we just used to get away with it more as the media didn't bother checking out leaflets).

And that's what bugs me about this "story" and the subsequent reaction.

If the Daily Record ran a front page spread about an SNP candidate putting out misleading election materials, "SNP BAAAAD" would be trotted out. But because it's someone from a unionist party and it's in The National, it's lapped-up.

And that's what bugs me about this "story" and the subsequent reaction.

If the Daily Record ran a front page spread about an SNP candidate putting out misleading election materials, "SNP BAAAAD" would be trotted out. But because it's someone from a unionist party and it's in The National, it's lapped-up.

I know the National openly lives and breathes agenda in place of any semblance of balance, but you're being generous. This is Sun-esque gutter tabloid level.

Disappointingly regressive.

I know the National openly lives and breathes agenda in place of any semblance of balance, but you're being generous. This is Sun-esque gutter tabloid level.

Disappointingly regressive.

It's a strange old paper. Some of the investigative journalism and international coverage is as good as it gets for a Scottish daily.

Some of the regular columns and front pages are embarrassingly childish.

It's a strange old paper. Some of the investigative journalism and international coverage is as good as it gets for a Scottish daily.

Some of the regular columns and front pages are embarrassingly childish.

This may be the first thing we've (formally at least) agreed on something in the non-football forums.

So the party of Alistair Carmichael caught lying again.  Folk trying to protect the liar/justify the lying.  Folk attacking the newspaper that exposed the lying.

Is that it?

Archived