London

QPStu

On 04/11/2016 at 12:29, 50/50 Winner said:

We (2 adults and 2 kids aged 11 and 14) are going to London next week (Friday to Sunday) and I was wondering what's best regarding travel cards. There's the oyster card and a one day travel card, there's also the option for using your bank card. We've never been to London before and will be staying near the archway station. We are flying into Stansted and going into town on the Friday night, all day Saturday and part of Sunday as our flight home isn't until 9pm. Any advice would be appreciated. 

I think contactless would  rip you off as you have kids mate. You'd be charged full adult fares for your kids. When you arrive try and get oyster cards. There are discounted ones for 11-16 year olds. Won't be a major saving but at least you'd each have a card and not be trying to get 4 folk through the barriers with one card, in busy London stations, with Londoner shaking their heads at you holding things up :lol:

Oh aye, take your oyster cards back when you're leaving  and you'll get your deposit and whatever money is still on the card back.

4 hours ago, Girth said:

I live in London. Please refer any capital conundrums to me.

Thank you. 

What are the best clubs to go to after the game next Friday night? Just a couple of us in normal clothes but with Scottish accents. Last few times after England v Scotland we've been knocked back from certain pubs and clubs because we're Scottish :lol:

It maybe didnae help my mate had a black eye mind you.

Edited by tree house tam

Depends what you're after mate. I can advise accordingly!

If you want great tunes and a capital experience? Ronnie Scott's.

Cheap birds, meat market, guaranteed to pull? 333 Shoreditch.

Great night, pretty chilled, good people? The Dublin Castle.

Goths aplenty, STDs and a trip back in time to the late 90's? Electric Ballroom.

Punk rock aplenty, proper lively, booze in cans? Tottenham Chances.

1 hour ago, Girth said:

Depends what you're after mate. I can advise accordingly!

If you want great tunes and a capital experience? Ronnie Scott's.

Cheap birds, meat market, guaranteed to pull? 333 Shoreditch.

Great night, pretty chilled, good people? The Dublin Castle.

Goths aplenty, STDs and a trip back in time to the late 90's? Electric Ballroom.

Punk rock aplenty, proper lively, booze in cans? Tottenham Chances.

Cheers 333 Shoreditch, Electric Ballroom or Tottenham Chances sound more likely, we know our level :lol: Been in Ronnie Scotts before so we'll try something different.

14 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Cheers 333 Shoreditch, Electric Ballroom or Tottenham Chances sound more likely, we know our level :lol: Been in Ronnie Scotts before so we'll try something different.

Chances is a proper place. Best venue in London IMO.

Also, The Beehive is a great boozer opposite Chances.

On Sunday, November 06, 2016 at 09:54, tree house tam said:

I think contactless would  rip you off as you have kids mate. You'd be charged full adult fares for your kids. When you arrive try and get oyster cards. There are discounted ones for 11-16 year olds. Won't be a major saving but at least you'd each have a card and not be trying to get 4 folk through the barriers with one card, in busy London stations, with Londoner shaking their heads at you holding things up :lol:

Oh aye, take your oyster cards back when you're leaving  and you'll get your deposit and whatever money is still on the card back.

Cheers Tam, I took your advice and everything went well. We just kept the cards and will use them next time we visit. 

Cheers Tam, I took your advice and everything went well. We just kept the cards and will use them next time we visit. 

I'm just reading through this thread and glad you went for Oyster.

You can't use a contactless card for more than one person at the same time as it can't calculate a daily price cap for each person travelling.

Two seperate cards linked to a joint account will work at the same time for two people travelling and the account will be debited twice.

Four folk would require 4 cards etc.

Just now, H Wragg said:

I'm just reading through this thread and glad you went for Oyster.

You can't use a contactless card for more than one person at the same time as it can't calculate a daily price cap for each person travelling.

Two seperate cards linked to a joint account will work at the same time for two people travelling and the account will be debited twice.

Four folk would require 4 cards etc.

It was the best option for a family of four. I got the young persons discount added for the boys too. 

I was impressed by the tube and it is quite easy to navigate your way round the city. 

On 11/18/2016 at 13:22, Honest_Man#1 said:

What is the best of the many Christmas markets in London, particularly for food and drink?

What's your interest, chap?  Time Out gives you a good hint: http://www.timeout.com/london/shopping/christmas-markets-and-fairs-in-london

My ex swears by The Swedish Church's market and annually drags the weans along but you missed it for this year.

My Yuletide focus is on Aylesbury duck for my daughter's birthday and goose for our Hogmanay dinner, both of which I ordered weeks ago.  Fripperies can GTF.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Heading to London in September. Only ever went to Camden and surrounding area before. This time, staying at Liverpool Street area. Is Brick Lane near there? Checked on Google and it said it was about 10 minutes from there.

Anyone able to recommend decent places to eat and drink in the area?

The wife has a phobia of using escalators. At underground stations, are there options for using stairs and lifts?

Depends on the station. Some have escalators, although others don't and it's just the stairs. Some may only have eacalators. Lifts aren't too common in many stations, although the ones matked with a wheelchair symbol on the tube map should have a lift. 

Edited by Michael W

Depends on the station. Some have escalators, although others don't and it's just the stairs. Some may only have eacalators. Lifts aren't too common in many stations, although the ones matked with a wheelchair symbol on the tube map should have a lift. 

Thanks. As long as they have stairs then that should be fine.

Heading to London in September. Only ever went to Camden and surrounding area before. This time, staying at Liverpool Street area. Is Brick Lane near there? Checked on Google and it said it was about 10 minutes from there.

Anyone able to recommend decent places to eat and drink in the area?

The wife has a phobia of using escalators. At underground stations, are there options for using stairs and lifts?

Plenty of places round Liverpool Street to eat and drink mate. What sort of thing you looking for?

43 minutes ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:

I'll eat most food. Enjoy eating tapas style. Open to suggestions.

Spitalfields Market had loads of places to eat from around the globe last time I was there. It was a while back though.

P.S. Still going strong by the looks of it: https://www.oldspitalfieldsmarket.com/food-drink/

Edited by welshbairn