Forfar v airdrie

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredible to think that Forfar were pumping Alloa in the first leg of the play-off final less than a year ago. What went wrong?

Briefly I believe it's a case of play off hangover and curse. I'm sure Dick had players lined up to strengthen the team for the Championship but failing to achieve that meant those players didn't come and then we lost some players who had been instrumental in our performance last season. Also bare in mind that DC had assembled the vast majority of that squad very early in the previous close season. He was left in the position of assembling a squad with little time and most of the best players at this level already signed up.

Despite a bright start when we stopped winning we didn't look like recovering. Although I disagreed with the manner in which Dick was sacked I do agree his time was coming. Bollan had steadied the ship over a few weeks and had us playing like we can until Saturday when they all inexplicably downed tools.

That said, Darren Dods found himself in a worse situation but he has least, albeit, over a long period pulled Brechin together.

Incredible to think that Forfar were pumping Alloa in the first leg of the play-off final less than a year ago. What went wrong?

Under Campbell this season we defended well and couldn't score, under Bollan have attacked well but could defend (or keep goals). Then occasionally under both we have thrown in a performance like Saturday where the players inexplicably down tools. We're still in with a chance but you couldn't really argue we don't deserve to finish bottom. 

Arguably losing Darren Dods during pre season was as big a blow as we've had imo, Douglas too but he was chucking them in as well this season. We held on too long trying to sign Hilson, then spent too long trying to get Linn and as a result started season with just Templeman and Swankie up front and that clearly wasn't enough.

Archived