The ones who got away

Shay Given started his career as a very highly rated youth player at Celtic in the early 90s. Only for Lou Macari to give him a free transfer in 1994. Shay then goes on to have a highly successful career down south and win over 100 caps for Ireland.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So his 'highly successful' stint down south was he played a lot of games for mid to lower table shite?

I never said he never had a decent career down south. He never had a 'highly successful' one though, not by a long shot.

Did Barry Smith and Tom Cargill have 'highly successful' careers up North, Lichtie?

So his 'highly successful' stint down south was he played a lot of games for mid to lower table shite?

I never said he never had a decent career down south. He never had a 'highly successful' one though, not by a long shot.

Did Barry Smith and Tom Cargill have 'highly successful' careers up North, Lichtie?

You're speaking utter shite here Deeboy. Of course Given has had a really successful career, he's been a very good EPL goalkeeper and played in the league for 20 year. 133 Ireland caps and he's played in the World Cup and Champions League.

Barry Smith played for Dundee ffs. Shay Givens on a whole different level.

But yes, Smith has had a very good career, in Scotland, racking up however many games he did in the league is a very good acheivement.

If someone plays for Borussia Dortmund/Liverpool/Athletico Madrid and Brazil over their career but doesn't win any World Cups/Domestic Cups or leagues does that mean they've not had a successful career because the club and country teams they've played for haven't won anything?

No, his career in English football got him those caps though.

How do you know he wouldn't have got those caps playing in Scotland or even murkier backwaters such as Wales? Answer - you don't. Being a highly successful footballer is by being a highly decorated one. Yes, there's anomalies such as Djimi Traore, but I'm not for one second accepting Shay Given had a 'highly successful' career down South purely because he kept the nets for a crock of shite like Newcastle for many, many a year.

I'm sure Given will be gutted he only managed to play and be a very good keeper in the EPL for 20 year and get however many appearances, win the FA Cup once, get 133 caps for his country and play in the World Cup and Champions League when he looks back on his career.

A very unsuccessful career that. Loads of players acheive that really easily like.

I'm sure Given will be gutted he only managed to play and be a very good keeper in the EPL for 20 year and get however many appearances, win the FA Cup once, get 133 caps for his country and play in the World Cup and Champions League when he looks back on his career.

A very unsuccessful career that. Loads of players acheive that really easily like.

Would you like to go back and read what was originally said?

I'm sure Given will be gutted he only managed to play and be a very good keeper in the EPL for 20 year...win the FA Cup once,

:lol:

He didn't play in the final!

a very good EPL goalkeeper

a very good keeper in the EPL.

In short, and by Lichtie's own admission, Given has enjoyed a very good career, not a successful one.

Archived