Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

It was rumoured around the stadium on saturday that we didn't sign Leitch as their is no more money in the budget maybe its true maybe its not. Daly and and Connor will be behind Conroy who is who our best centre midfielder at the club and McBride clearly rates McIntosh. If you put Connor or Daly in midfield it would be fine if we had an out out ball winner but we don't, meaning we wouldn't be as good at retaining the ball, both players will get their chance though as a previous poster said when injuries and suspensions creep in.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand how Daly and McLaughlin aren't starting games, they're not even involved.

I was taken by McBride's early contributions and style of play early on but that seems to have gone titshaped now.

The squad reconstruction was fkked up straight away by the Black King as we all predicted by the needless, wasteful, and divisive, signing of Faria.   To compound that by being held hostage by puffychest defied any known logic.   Even the signing of Gorman (and Daly by association) are just as wasteful and now weighing us down.   Big Tam must be having nightmares about those clowns wasting his dough.

And to pile on more misery now we've repeated the Taylor Morgan cock up by signing the most awful centreback imaginable from Swedish non-league.

We've also heard that Ryan and Russell have dictated that we change formation to suit them,  we heard McBride say he altered EWB's training regime.   And super captain's assertion that EWB's genius plan to train from 3-5pm hasn't helped the dozy muppets to hold onto a slender lead at fkn Ochilview has it?

We really need to cut out a certain influence out of things.

And I'd LOVE to know why we seem to have so many questionable signings who don't fit in.  Who is scouting those players?

We look like a disorganised mess at times from back to middle behind the best strike pairing in years.   But we've the makings of a really good team but we need to reorganise a few things.

Strong stuff TBM but not many solutions. If you were in charge what would you do given that we can't sack the players you don't like?

For my part I don't think things are as bad as you paint. Going forward this is the most pleasing Airdrie team I've seen for years. However, our defending is a mess. How would you fix it?

I'm for once not having a go at you here. I'm genuinely interested in how you'd fix the defence given the squad we have.

A defence isn't just the 4 defenders.  I've already given my tuppenceworth on many occassions.

On here I've dissected every goal conceded so we can prevent future mistakes, surely the club can do that too?   I already stated on many occassions that we lack a holding midfielder, and we have defenders and a certain midfielder who constantly ballwatch (take a closed stance and fail to deal with runners getting in behind them).  Our "balancing" in defence is poor too.  One particular fullback does not tuck in.

If Jack Leitch was to sign, Hugo would need to leave but there's not a chance he'll leave because of the money he's on. He'll happily sit it in the stands and collect his wage at the end of the week. Not sure why Daly isn't starting strange one for me, remember his contract is up in January

5 minutes ago, carlukediamond said:

Just throwing it out there could Gorman be on the bench because 1 he was signed by ewb and 2 McBride might not rate him enough to start.

Gorman is simply not playing well enough he was at fault for a couple of goals was dropped out the starting 11 came on against Motherwell and passed the ball to mackin who scored for well and was 100% at fault. Gorman I don't doubt for a minute is a good player but he has to work harder. You look at players like crighton and Lithgow and know their limited in ability, however gorman isn't limited you can tell he has it all but he has to cut out the stupidity as players are starting ahead of him with less off ability but they appear to be working harder. In our midfield conroy would start every time for me. McIntosh is in midfield the now it's up to him to keep his place by playing well. I would believe McBride would fancy McIntosh ahead off Daly and Connor because he can win the ball back where as Daly and Connor their strengths are on the ball. 

I would like to se more of loudon looked sharp when he came on. I was thinking of centre defender our options are boetang, fitz ,gorman, McIntosh. The defense needs to be better and I was thinking the only other player I think capable of playing centre half is Scott Stewart. If Scott Stewart can play centre half McIntosh could slot into right back.

One area we are not weak in is going forward but we are defensively. If Scott could play as well at centre half it would go a long way as were always going be a threat going fwd even taking Scott out the equation. I think he would do really well at centre half he's quick and he's stronger than he has ever been and isn't scared of a hard challange. I would throw gorman ( give him chance) and Stewart as the two centre half against Ayr and I would pick McIntosh at right back and give Daly a start beside Conroy and se how the defense holds up.

6 hours ago, touchedbymadness said:

I don't understand how Daly and McLaughlin aren't starting games, they're not even involved.

I was taken by McBride's early contributions and style of play early on but that seems to have gone titshaped now.

The squad reconstruction was fkked up straight away by the Black King as we all predicted by the needless, wasteful, and divisive, signing of Faria.   To compound that by being held hostage by puffychest defied any known logic.   Even the signing of Gorman (and Daly by association) are just as wasteful and now weighing us down.   Big Tam must be having nightmares about those clowns wasting his dough.

And to pile on more misery now we've repeated the Taylor Morgan cock up by signing the most awful centreback imaginable from Swedish non-league.

We've also heard that Ryan and Russell have dictated that we change formation to suit them,  we heard McBride say he altered EWB's training regime.   And super captain's assertion that EWB's genius plan to train from 3-5pm hasn't helped the dozy muppets to hold onto a slender lead at fkn Ochilview has it?

We really need to cut out a certain influence out of things.

And I'd LOVE to know why we seem to have so many questionable signings who don't fit in.  Who is scouting those players?

We look like a disorganised mess at times from back to middle behind the best strike pairing in years.   But we've the makings of a really good team but we need to reorganise a few things.

'As we all predicted'? As I remember it you were the one telling us all last season how King couldn't be responsible for signing diddies because he has a UEFA B Licence and therefore could spot a player... 

Just now, Diamonds are Forever said:

'As we all predicted'? As I remember it you were the one telling us all last season how King couldn't be responsible for signing diddies because he has a UEFA B Licence and therefore could spot a player... 

Did I need to lace every post with sarcastic smileys just for you?    Could you not see the sneering seethe oozing out of every post aimed at that cretin? 

I'm sure I sarcastically kept that theme of "no way King will resign Fitzpatrick, King's a B Licence coach,  he'll know a player when he sees one".   

You see I knew he was resigning Fitzy well in advance.  I couldnt believe it.  I needed to set up a pinata for me to rattle hard when things went bad.   

16 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Now that King has gone who is/are the 'certain influence on things'? The only post-King signing that looks a bit out of place is Boateng, even then he's no worse than what we had there and we clearly needed a centre back. He wasn't a Faria, out of the blue, type signing.

Why did we sign a centre half who is no worse than what we had?  Shouldn't we have got better?

EWB is clearly, IMO, still an influence given statements that leak out, and is still visible.   His post illness fuckups with Faria and Gorman still haunting us and fkk knows what other landmines he's planted.

Daly (Gorman's pal) and Schidt,  would also qualify as "post king" signings that now look out of place and weighing us down.

And the change from his "blueprint" training regime and formation after building the squad to allegedly fit?  

And exactly what does Jannow do?

I have to agree ONeil should have been kept. I have stated in the past and it is true the season he had the injury he was taking a couple (2)injections without his injury being fixed and that is why I was so pissed of at jimmy boyle as I think it's wrong a young player should be taking injections and no matter the pressure Jimmy was facing he should have told Chris he wasnt taking injections to temporary put injury on hold. I do believe a lot more of loyalty should have been shown to O'Neil. I read the posts about Schmidt and I have to say I believe he is a good signing.

18 minutes ago, touchedbymadness said:

Why did we sign a centre half who is no worse than what we had?  Shouldn't we have got better?

EWB is clearly, IMO, still an influence given statements that leak out, and is still visible.   His post illness fuckups with Faria and Gorman still haunting us and fkk knows what other landmines he's planted.

Daly (Gorman's pal) and Schidt,  would also qualify as "post king" signings that now look out of place and weighing us down.

And the change from his "blueprint" training regime and formation after building the squad to allegedly fit?  

Because they were desperate? And when you're desperate you make mistakes with signings. Every single club signs players that aren't as good as they hoped, that doesn't imply some outside influence on signings though. He was signed 3 weeks into the season, which just screams desperation. I assumed Daly was 'scouted' before King left, and thought that was what you were implying by your Gorman and Daly comment also. Schmidt I forgot about (which probably says it all), from the outside it looks like he was signed after scoring a couple of goals against us in a friendly, which if true is a more worrying signing philosophy than anything else we might have.

I don't think it's fair to say EWB is an outside influence, the guy is still being paid to be our manager. We are in a unique situation which in fairness to the club will have made things difficult. However I do agree with (what I think is your general point) that too many people are involved who will obviously have different opinions, agendas. King leaving removes one of those, but there are obviously others and I think the EWB/McBride issue will need sorted soon.

TBM, this time I am having a go at you. Yesterday you asked what Daly had done wrong, today he looks out of place and is weighing us down.

You also at the beginning of the season were a great supporter of McBride and told us we had to be patient with the young squad. Today you've gone bananas and are slagging everyone you can think of off. It is a bit difficult to follow your rant but I take it that you are also at least by implication criticising McBride unless you think he has no control over what is happening.

Why don't you take your own advice and give the Club some time. Maybe you had too high hopes for the season. We haven't actually had a disastrous start and we already had 3 players who are challenging last year's top scorers for the season. The defence is weak but I for one am enjoying the positive attacking play. I agree about our defensive frailties but despite being annoyed at not winning yesterday enjoyed the match. The passing movement leading to the penalty was a treat to watch.

I don't expect to win the league but I am enjoying for the most part watching a team who don't engage in humping useless balls up the park.

You that was moaning about Daly not getting a game yesterday?

Archived