Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Pesadilla, I can't tell from your post whether you have been attending matches but I've seen every league game and I would disagree with you on a couple of points. I really don't know whether or not  McBride is being dictated to. However, I believe that most of our defenders are not too bad in passing the ball. Also I believe that Conroy has in a couple of the games demonstrated an ability to control the game. I would also say that we have the best moving attack for many years. Ryan in particular is outstanding.

The big weakness is that we can't defend for toffee particularly at cross balls. We have a goalie who can't, or won't, leave his line and whatever central defence we try is found wanting when it comes to covering attackers who are heading the ball.

Even allowing for this bad weakness the team deserves our support.

No disrespect, but to play in the way we're setting up to play 'not too bad' in passing the ball ain't good enough. We need confident players who buy into the style. McBride is obviously being told this is the way we'll play. Everybody in the stands could see Livvy sussed it and pressed us deep. We looked out of ideas.
I actually do find it marginally more entertaining than previous seasons and agree we have, for this level, an excellent front line. However, we need to be able to change things up though and not be hamstrung by the 'philosophy'. Livvy pressed 4 players into our half every time the keeper had the ball in his hands. That's screaming for it to be launched to give them something to think about, but we try the same play, putting us under pressure from our advantage.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conroy is a brilliant signing and he can and will win us points dominating midfield. Your referring to the livvy game that was a learning curve. Since then the goals we have lost are down to errors and nothing to do with passing the ball back to front. I am all for it what do you want us to do lump the ball forward. I do believe the players are buying into mcbride or we wouldnt have attracted russell ryan and conroy in the first place. Mcbride is clearly the boss.

27 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

Conroy is a brilliant signing and he can and will win us points dominating midfield. Your referring to the livvy game that was a learning curve. Since then the goals we have lost are down to errors and nothing to do with passing the ball back to front. I am all for it what do you want us to do lump the ball forward. I do believe the players are buying into mcbride or we wouldnt have attracted russell ryan and conroy in the first place. Mcbride is clearly the boss.

Hate jumping on the bandwagon, but clearly you're not right. 

We drew with relegation fodder Stenhousemuir. We got easily out-thought and out-played by one of the favorites. 

I plainly said we need to mix it up rather than rely on passing from the back every time. That's not a bad tactic, that's sensible.

McBride also said at the very start of the season he was going to take EWB's philosophy forward. The chairman has stated that  would be the way we'd play. So, on what account do you think that McBride is 'clearly' the boss? 

Conroy can find space and see a pass but he cannot dominate the midfield. We need someone big and ugly in there beside him. Is McBride the boos though? We pass the ball from side to side just as wide did with EWB, they lack any conviction and penetration at times and for starters it's far too slow to be effective.

Has anyone looked at the video of Stenny game?   

Follows the same pattern of poor defending as previous games.   

Both full backs caught upfield at same time,  central defence exposed,   CDMs not tracking forward runs,  not marking well enough at corners...

There's stuff there that I could sort on the training ground or analysis room in a heartbeat...  we have potential to be a really good side but we're currently underperforming and repeating mistakes.

I'm an optimist, hard to believe,  I think we can play good football and be effective with most of the players we have.   Formations dont matter so much.   Steve Archibald's 442 bore no relation to Gary Bollan's version.   It's about the tactics employed within the formation.   We can pass the ball and retain possession without reverting to the awful longball shite.  

When you have strikers like Ryan and Russell you really only need to get the ball to them in the box and shut up shop.

We are literally a bawhair away from being a really good team.   If only we could see it?

13 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Hate jumping on the bandwagon, but clearly you're not right. 

We drew with relegation fodder Stenhousemuir. We got easily out-thought and out-played by one of the favorites. 

I plainly said we need to mix it up rather than rely on passing from the back every time. That's not a bad tactic, that's sensible.

McBride also said at the very start of the season he was going to take EWB's philosophy forward. The chairman has stated that  would be the way we'd play. So, on what account do you think that McBride is 'clearly' the boss? 

Having a difference of oppinon doesnt warrant saying im not right in context you are suggesting. We want to play football what do you regard as mixing it up playing the long ball. Scottish football has been on its knees for years because to many teams are happy to get by not playing football. Kevin mcbride is the boss, do you think he would have taking the job if he didnt agree with the clubs plans.the  main thing wrong with the team is the centre of defense if we had 2 decent central defenders on saturday we would have strolled the match. We have great strike force a good midfield who can play football and a poor centre defense which is why i would suggest the club bring in a decent centre half who is commanding. The same team you refer to struggling against stenny took a spl partick thistle very close its all very well measuring a team based on a couple of matches the problem lies with the defense.

43 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

he  main thing wrong with the team is the centre of defense if we had 2 decent central defenders... we have great strike force a good midfield who can play football and a poor centre defense which is why i would suggest the club bring in a decent centre half who is commanding... the problem lies with the defense.

I agree with Pesadilla.   

Copper.  Last week McBride was a genius for signing Schidt rather than Coggans.   Now he's "the boss" for signing Ceasar mkII - who isn't commanding enough for you so he needs to sign another with no money?

And given your constant slagging of our defence above I can see your having a go at our wonderful capitan.   Copper18,  that's so last week!   Give Fitzy a break goddammit.

Your schizo posts are giving me a sore head.   

Watching the video highlights last night, the first goal was lost by the attacking players on the left, who lost possession and this meant that our two centre backs were marking four attackers when Stewart/Mcintosh/Conroy were still on their way back. MacDonald then appears but scullion is nowhere to be seen. The corner was largely the goalie letting himself be blocked by a Stenny player tho' he still might not have stopped that running header by Kerr. It is all about opinions mind you.

19 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Watching the video highlights last night, the first goal was lost by the attacking players on the left, who lost possession and this meant that our two centre backs were marking four attackers when Stewart/Mcintosh/Conroy were still on their way back. MacDonald then appears but scullion is nowhere to be seen. The corner was largely the goalie letting himself be blocked by a Stenny player tho' he still might not have stopped that running header by Kerr. It is all about opinions mind you.

Who was marking Kerr?

Why wasn't Stewart tucked in and CDM sitting deep when McDonald was crusading?

The airdrie highlights package look worse.

The first goal conceded looks even worse.    Yet again the opposing fullback is out of shape (this is constant).   Yet again Conroy doesnt make it back (not his game, why is he played there?).    Fitz and McIntosh are blameless on this occassion.    Boateng is ballwatching (yet again).   Afraid he is totally useless.

These goals conceded this year are repetitive.   The first at Stenny mirrors Livi's 4th.   Just like Hugo's f**k up at Partick mirrored mistakes he made at Clyde pre season that I highlighted on here.  We must start analysing the mistakes and be harder to beat.   Opposing teams are targetting our weaknesses.   If I can see them others far better qualified will.

And the defending at corners... 

Our mistakes are preventable.   We could be a really good side with some basic work.   But if we keep making the same f**k ups someone will pay.

That first goal is something you would expect to see at primary school level, just awful! Boateng ball watching again and no where the flight of the ball or the striker. Feel Stewart could have positioned himself better and at least made it difficult for McMenamin to get his head on it.

I know Stewart is still learning his trade and could be a very promising right back, but when you watch the clips this season and late on last season of him going forward you wonder why we aren't utilising his size and pace as winger?

The first goal conceded looks even worse.   Yet again we lose a key goal from a McDonald squander whilst in possession.   Yet again the opposing fullback is out of shape (this is constant).   Yet again Conroy doesnt make it back (not his game, why is he played there?).    Fitz and McIntosh are blameless on this occassion.    Boateng is ballwatching (yet again).   Afraid he is totally useless.

These goals conceded this year are repetitive.   The first at Stenny mirrors Livi's 4th.   Just like Hugo's f**k up at Partick mirrored mistakes he made at Clyde pre season that I highlighted on here.  We must start analysing the mistakes and be harder to beat.   Opposing teams are targetting our weaknesses.   If I can see them others far better qualified will.

Our mistakes are preventable.   We could be a really good side with some basic work.   But if we keep making the same f**k ups someone will pay.

To be fair though if the boy scullion could control a ball we'd have been in a promising attacking position in which McDonald would have no doubt been involved it. The first goal is a catalogue of errors but it all stemmed from Scullion losing control of the ball.

11 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

To be fair though if the boy scullion could control a ball we'd have been in a promising attacking position in which McDonald would have no doubt been involved it. The first goal is a catalogue of errors but it all stemmed from Scullion losing control of the ball.

I thought that was McDonald.   

5 hours ago, touchedbymadness said:

The first goal conceded looks even worse.   Yet again we lose a key goal from a McDonald squander whilst in possession.   Yet again the opposing fullback is out of shape (this is constant).   Yet again Conroy doesnt make it back (not his game, why is he played there?).    Fitz and McIntosh are blameless on this occassion.    Boateng is ballwatching (yet again).   Afraid he is totally useless.

Archived