Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

17 hours ago, carlukediamond said:

It doesn't really matter as Schmidt still Isn't very good
Coogans 30 appearances 4 goals
Schmidt 10 appearances 0 goals

To put some meat on the bones.   Coogans scored 4 goals in 14starts.   Of his 16 sub apps most of them were very, very late time wasting appearances by Bollan who was clearly trying to piss him off and trying to offload.  And those starts were all as a 16+17 year old.   His finishing skills, movement and pace suggested he would be a goal threat.

He moved to Huddersfield for a very nice wage but he wanted home after a year.   Hardly a crime being a homesick 18 year old.   Holding out for a full time move last season was a poor move and was a wasted season.   

He's a still promising player who needs a chance to get back.   Airdrie fkd him around pre season like they did a few players (Bain, Prunty, Cox, Gow, Cadden to name a few though the culprit I believe had gone).   He was at QP but we all saw that wouldnt work as their dinosaur manager wants hammer throwers.

He's now trying to re-establish himself (as a 19 year old) at a junior superleague level with a lot of his old 20s team mates and manager.  Shame he's had to take a few steps back but if he hasnt been sickened too much he has a chance.

Not much can be said for Kevin.  He hardly has any track record.  Not good enough for Stranraer last year and spent time at EK.   All that can be said is that he's lived up to expectations.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was rounded on for saying that Schmidt was terrible on Saturday, with multiple people actually saying he was our best performer. He did absolutely nothing bar give the ball away a lot and continually fail to beat his man or pass in a straight line. He's utter dross and like many others (Faria and Fitz for example) a complete waste of a wage.

10 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I was rounded on for saying that Schmidt was terrible on Saturday, with multiple people actually saying he was our best performer. He did absolutely nothing bar give the ball away a lot and continually fail to beat his man or pass in a straight line. He's utter dross and like many others (Faria and Fitz for example) a complete waste of a wage.

He's utter dross.  Whomever rounded on you needs their heads looked at.

38 minutes ago, carlukediamond said:

Just trying to say that statically Schmidt isn't very good. Compared to a 16+17 who started 6 games more and scored 4 goals

Copper18 is being obtuse yet again for the sake of it.

I was accused (at least i think that's what the illiterate tosser meant) that i hero worship Coogans and declared him the new Owen Coyle when I had merely suggested that the boy had already done a good job and still full of promise and is merely 19 years old, as opposed to players like Coyle who was by comparison a grizzled veteran of rising 24 when we got him,  Nipper was 27, Connolly mid20s, Russell mid 20s etc.

Makes you wonder who or what Copper really is.

17 minutes ago, touchedbymadness said:

He's utter dross.  Whomever rounded on you needs their heads looked at.

Frank Grimes and Waysider both were impressed by him and airdrie 1878 and superfud Cooper both thought he was our motm. Not sure what game the 4 of them were at.

15 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Frank Grimes and Waysider both were impressed by him and airdrie 1878 and superfud Cooper both thought he was our motm. Not sure what game the 4 of them were at.

Anyone is a fud it is you. I never said he was our man of the match what i did say was he one of our better peformers on saturday. If your going to say i said something at least get your facts right.

29 minutes ago, touchedbymadness said:

Copper18 is being obtuse yet again for the sake of it.

I was accused (at least i think that's what the illiterate tosser meant) that i hero worship Coogans and declared him the new Owen Coyle when I had merely suggested that the boy had already done a good job and still full of promise and is merely 19 years old, as opposed to players like Coyle who was by comparison a grizzled veteran of rising 24 when we got him,  Nipper was 27, Connolly mid20s, Russell mid 20s etc.

Makes you wonder who or what Copper really is.

On the pie and bovril on seperate link on the forums you posted you believed Liam Coogans could be the next Owen Coyle.

You go on and rant about supporting young players and giving young players a chance. Why don't you give Schmidt a chance ??

20 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I'd take anything Waysider and superfud say with a very large pinch of salt.   Unfortunately folk might  believe the nonsense

6 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

On the pie and bovril on seperate link on the forums you posted you believed Liam Coogans could be the next Owen Coyle.

You go on and rant about supporting young players and giving young players a chance. Why don't you give Schmidt a chance ??

You previously slagged me (or was it him you were snidely digging at) by saying I DID proclaim him the next Coyle.   

I said Andy Ryan could be the next Coyle or Fernandez calibre player for us.   

But dont let that stop you repeatedly f**king this board up with your illiterate shit.

And Schidt is literally rotten.   But if you are what I think you are I'd expect you to Love certain players,  especially the 3 stooges from the Love shack.

A blind man can see Schmidt was a bad signing based on one good performance against us , every attack broke down when he got the ball Saturday & the missed kick at the edge of the box second half was laughable, waste of a jersey in every appearance so far.

I'd suggest watching the highlights again, especially around the 2.39 mark. Plus he started the move down the left with a cracking ball to MacDonald.

If we are totally nit picking, pretty sure Andy Ryan sclaffed at least three chances. After all he the good guy and Schmidt is the baddie.

How many games has Schmidt played as a striker?  He's not been very impressive so far, but it's not really fair to judge him until he's had a reasonable run in his natural position.  I wouldn't play him in place of either Ryan or Russell, but I just don't think we can say yet whether he's any good or not as backup for them.

As for Coogans, I'd have him back in a flash.  I spoke with another fan at the friendly against Gala, who said that she'd seen him playing for us in a closed-door game the week before (I think), and that he was rank.  I've no reason to doubt that, but again - there's a limited amount you can really tell from one friendly.  

Just now, Kennboy1978 said:

I'd suggest watching the highlights again, especially around the 2.39 mark. Plus he started the move down the left with a cracking ball to MacDonald.

If we are totally nit picking, pretty sure Andy Ryan sclaffed at least three chances. After all he the good guy and Schmidt is the baddie.

Yeah I mentioned that and a fan said he slipped. Couldn't even give him.the credit for making a good run.

Just now, touchedbymadness said:

You previously slagged me (or was it him you were snidely digging at) by saying I DID proclaim him the next Coyle.   

I said Andy Ryan could be the next Coyle or Fernandez calibre player for us.   

But dont let that stop you repeatedly f**king this board up with your illiterate shit.

And Schidt is literally rotten.   But if you are what I think you are I'd expect you to Love certain players,  especially the 3 stooges from the Love shack.

If we had the other 2 stooges crighton and Lithgow our defense and league position would be a lot better.

25 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

If we had the other 2 stooges crighton and Lithgow our defense and league position would be a lot better.

I seriously doubt it but I know how much you Love Slothgow.  We'd never get on the ball and still lose the stupidest of goals.    

But you'd know best wouldn't you Rocketman?

1 hour ago, Kennboy1978 said:

Yes. There are just some players going to get it for everything they do and others who are to be forgiven everything. Thought Schmidt did OK and Brown had an off day.  Also Scott Stewart played well except his defending of crosses is poor. But I forgot everything that's wrong in defence is boateng and fitz's fault' fault

Just now, carlukediamond said:

If McBride had any faith in Schmidt as a striker I am sure he would have played, recently with Russell not contributing much other than getting sent off this would have been the ideal opportunity to give him a run.

Schmidt was injured for the Ayr game and played out wide against brechin when he was fit again.

McBride said he was happy with kevins performance on Saturday

Regards to Russell I can accept a player having a bad game as long as their giving their all for the Jersey but why are some of our fans saying willing turn blind eye to russells cheatung but they wouldn't for bain and also Russell's role is vice captain what kind of example is he setting to the younger players ?

Am I the only one that feels it puts dampener on when we have a good performance and opposition fans are talking about Russell's diving. The sportsman ship he shows is what I hate in football and I would rather not have him at the club if he doesn't cut it out.

If every club got rid of players with poor sportsmanship etc there would be lots of five a side games in all leagues. I can only think of DI canio stopping play for west ham as the opposite in recent years. The increase in those who fall when they feel contact is largely because the authorities have nearly taken tackling out of the game. Shorty Shanks would have sorted out many of these :divers" but he'd have gained so many Red cards he would have been "Sine die" like Willie Woodburn. Russell will have a very good season despite these complaints.

Archived