Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Attendances on 2nd January are always far higher than a standard Saturday so that can't be taken as an indicator. Look at any game we've played on the 2nd Jan and you'll see a big increase, same with every club. 1000 more fans attended the Raith v Dunfermline game on the 2nd Jan than did in the same fixture back in August. We had 500 more at that Rovers game than the previous home game against Rovers. You're right about turning those fans off by not performing when we get a big gate though.
Anyway I was just predicting what the club's response would be to why the price is what it is, I wasn't necessarily agreeing with them.

As I said - I take your point. You bank on what you can rely on.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot very common themes occuring every game defensively and a few players under the microscope:

• ROHAN:   We could expect more at times, poor positioning at some set plays?   But he's only 19 and needs to learn from them.  Bear in mind Johnny Martin was almost 22 when he debuted.
  • McDONALD:  I've highlighted since day 1 that he's a defensive weakness.   Shipping goals week after week,  the latest non-challenge v. East Fife is unforgiveable.
  • GORMAN:  Makes a stream of errors almost every game.   Compromises himself every game by challenging left footed when his right is the option.  Always backing off when sometimes he needs to be tight.  And he's not so good in the air at defending set plays and often the fall guy.
  • BOATENG:  I've said enough.   And I can tell from his gaffers reactions what he thinks
  • STEWART/MCINTOSH:  Both still learning the game but visibly improving.

Why are Stewart and McIntosh improving and the other defenders aren't?

There are a lot very common themes occuring every game defensively and a few players under the microscope:
  • ROHAN:   We could expect more at times, poor positioning at some set plays?   But he's only 19 and needs to learn from them.  Bear in mind Johnny Martin was almost 22 when he debuted.
  • McDONALD:  I've highlighted since day 1 that he's a defensive weakness.   Shipping goals week after week,  the latest non-challenge v. East Fife is unforgiveable.
  • GORMAN:  Makes a stream of errors almost every game.   Compromises himself every game by challenging left footed when his right is the option.  Always backing off when sometimes he needs to be tight.  And he's not so good in the air at defending set plays and often the fall guy.
  • BOATENG:  I've said enough.   And I can tell from his gaffers reactions what he thinks
  • STEWART/MCINTOSH:  Both still learning the game but visibly improving.
Why are Stewart and McIntosh improving and the other defenders aren't?

I think this is a more than accurate and fair assessment.

Ferguson imo would/will get better with age and a more experienced centre half pairing.

Defensively McDonald is more miss than hit recently and could benefit maybe in a role further forward which seems to suit his play.

The thing with Stewart and McIntosh they look assured and confident in there ability and will only get better and be good quality players.

Boateng and Gorman this might be as good as they get, if there not able to do the basic schoolboy defending at this stage in there career there's no hope.

Ferguson was posted missing at their first goal, while Gorman ended up on his backside while their scorer had a free header. Schoolboy stuff as mentioned above. Equally bad was Macdonald under the crossed ball for the second. Far too easy for East Fife. Would be happy if coming for crosses was literally all that Ferguson worked on in training all week, as it'd make a huge difference seeing as the two CBs can't/won't take the pressure off. Outwith those two we lack height in these situations. 

I felt on Saturday that Macdonald wasn't very confident going forward - often preferring a pass back to Gorman rather than taking the ball forward, maybe just confidence but he's certainly not on top form at the moment.

I'd also like to see our starting position from opposition punts/goal kicks be deeper. Far too often we get caught out from long balls and, like him or not, Boateng is better attacking the space in front of him than back tracking (Brechin at home probably being his best performance for us a few months back and where he did just that).

Won't solve all our problems but would help make the best of what we have. Deeper defence would also help a lack of pace at the back and make the pitch bigger for Ryan (and Brown and Russell) to stretch teams.

On a positive note, it was good to see leitch get a goal - I like him but he needs to make more of an impact in the final third. Assist away to Stranraer and a goal at the weekend is hopefully signs of further improvement from him.

22 minutes ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

I'd also like to see our starting position from opposition punts/goal kicks be deeper. Far too often we get caught out from long balls 

I've dissected every goal we've conceded this season with appropriate volumes of blame on various factors, not just individuals but on situations.   The number of goals we lose due to poor organisation at set pieces is shocking.   Corners, throw-ins,  goalie kick outs, etc., and they're repeated regularly

22 minutes ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

Deeper defence would also help a lack of pace at the back and make the pitch bigger for Ryan (and Brown and Russell) to stretch teams.

McIntosh has a really decent turn of pace.   Laying deep means you have large gaps between your lines for other team to play in.    When both of our CDs back off they're letting players take a touch and turn us.   We have 3 type 2 central defenders but no type 1.    As much as I didn't like Crighton (dumb as a bag of dogs) last season he'd actually be perfect for us this year instead of Boateng.   Apart from the fact that he can outjump most others in the league, he'd have been a massive help at defending corners and could be deployed in a more marking role allowing which would be infinitely better for Gorman or McIntosh who are more natural sweepers.    Neither Boateng nor Gorman are getting tight enough to attackers, they're taking a touch unchallenged and can easily turn and run at them.   Unfortunately Boateng isn't good in the air for his size and had the concentration span of a goldfish.   Gorman is not brilliant in the air either and not a natural attacker of the ball.

Ideally we could find a Crighton type (greedy asking for better?) who is very good in the air and can simply be used in a marking capacity.  Easier said than done?

16 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I noticed Alan Lithgow was at Saturday's match, wonder why.

Liam Kelly was also there watching his ex East Fife team mates, probably tagged along with him with our game being off. 

Brief summary of conceded league goals;

QP:   Corner,  Fitzy could've done better

Livi: 1)  Boateng poor header  2)  from a Corner  3.) Boateng OG + Poor kickout Ferguson and McDonald mistake  4) Poor McDonald Pass

Stenny:   1.) Boateng positioning / ball watching   2.)  Corner,  poor marking Boateng

Brechin:   1.)  Poor team defending  2.)  McDonald and Fitz   3.) Goalie and Boateng mix up

East Fife:   Stewart ball watching

Albion:   1.)   Corner:    McIntosh sclaff,  Rohan positioning   2.)  poor fitzy clearance

Alloa:   Long kickout, Boateng and Gorman misread

Peterhead:   1:)  Corner:  Boateng marking   2.) Boateng flat header,  midfield don't win 2nd ball  3.)  Gorman pass after being hemmed in, poor team play pissing about

Queen Pk:   Penalty:  Boateng

Albion Rvrs:   Penalty:  Gorman using left peg when right was needed

Alloa:   McDonald ball watching

Peterhead:  1.)  McDonald ballwatching   2.)  Unjustified penalty

Stenny:  1)   Boateng inducing pressure initially, Boateng backing off   2.)   Boateng and Hutton poor marking at free kick  3.)  free kick from Boateng's needless foul resulting in sending off.   4+5 when down to 10men

Livi:   1.)  Team disorganised at throw in,  defenders standing off    2)   late counter when all thrown forward

Stranraer:   Boateng and Gorman backing off,   McIntosh and Stewart not tracking back, covering over from fullback

Albion Rovers:   1)  Boateng positioning, Gorman backing off,  McDonald not covering   2.)   Goalie kickout,  defence too high,  Mcintosh slip,  Boateng poor positioning, Gorman using left not right leg again

Queens Park:   1.)  Poor McIntosh pass,  poor Boateng positioning, failed offside trap,  Gorman going with left foot instead of right,  Brown not tracking full back   2.)   Boateng needless free kick,   Boateng not marking at freekick for goal

E. Fife:    1.)   Corner, goalie positioning,  Gorman outjumped    2.)  McDonald backs out of challenge from cross.

There's your goals conceded

2 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

McIntosh has a really decent turn of pace.   Laying deep means you have large gaps between your lines for other team to play in.    When both of our CDs back off they're letting players take a touch and turn us.   We have 3 type 2 central defenders but no type 1.    As much as I didn't like Crighton (dumb as a bag of dogs) last season he'd actually be perfect for us this year instead of Boateng.   Apart from the fact that he can outjump most others in the league, he'd have been a massive help at defending corners and could be deployed in a more marking role allowing which would be infinitely better for Gorman or McIntosh who are more natural sweepers.    Neither Boateng nor Gorman are getting tight enough to attackers, they're taking a touch unchallenged and can easily turn and run at them.   Unfortunately Boateng isn't good in the air for his size and had the concentration span of a goldfish.   Gorman is not brilliant in the air either and not a natural attacker of the ball.

Ideally we could find a Crighton type (greedy asking for better?) who is very good in the air and can simply be used in a marking capacity.  Easier said than done?

McIntosh pace only helps if he's playing CB as per the weekend though, otherwise he's likely to be too far out wide.

My feeling is that a high defence seems to give our defenders problems and a deep defence with more space for the opposition helps us as our midfield is tilted forwards mobile, passing players. The opposition can either sit deep themselves and give our midfield (and full backs) space to play in or play high and give us chances on the counter. But minimising the chances for our defenders being caught out on the halfway line has to be a priority as we're leaking goals. 3 clean sheets in 27 games is dreadful. 

Agree re Crighton or similar. Gregor Buchanan at Dumbarton would've been my preferred choice right enough.

18 minutes ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

McIntosh pace only helps if he's playing CB as per the weekend though, otherwise he's likely to be too far out wide.

Which he should be

But minimising the chances for our defenders being caught out on the halfway line has to be a priority as we're leaking goals. 

How often has that happened?

Agree re Crighton or similar. Gregor Buchanan at Dumbarton would've been my preferred choice right enough.

There's plenty out there.   I dont think young Deano fits that bill yet.   

Whatever way we approach it,  for me completely dropping Boateng will make a massive difference in itself.  

We could solve our issues by signing another midfielder or fullback/wingbacks and moving someone like Stewart into the middle but just ditch Boateng (and hopefully McDonald) and we are infinitely better defensively.

There's plenty out there.   I dont think young Deano fits that bill yet.   
Whatever way we approach it,  for me completely dropping Boateng will make a massive difference in itself.  
We could solve our issues by signing another midfielder or fullback/wingbacks and moving someone like Stewart into the middle but just ditch Boateng (and hopefully McDonald) and we are infinitely better defensively.

Drop joe gorman more like been the worse out the 3 for weeks

7 minutes ago, Redandwhitearmy78 said:

Drop joe gorman more like been the worse out the 3 for weeks

I'm losing patience with Gorman too,  way too many f**k ups on a regular basis but he can be worked on. 

I'll take it on the chins if I have it wrong but I see something in him that I think could lead to a good steady performer.   The other 2 are beyond help.

I'm losing patience with Gorman too,  way too many f**k ups on a regular basis but he can be worked on. 
I'll take it on the chins if I have it wrong but I see something in him that I think could lead to a good steady performer.   The other 2 are beyond help.

I just don't see why he get all the plaudits and he's just as bad as bobo and he gets pelters

I just don't see why he get all the plaudits and he's just as bad as bobo and he gets pelters

There's a player in there somewhere much like Adam Brown. Sometimes his communication is great and other times it's non existent. Communication and organisation is one thing that clearly needs to be priority at training.

Archived