Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

I see your long lost brother has started posting again on the Livi thread. Are you having some sort of identity crises?

Going back to the above post, I've always thought of Brown as a winger. Apart from the last game he plays on the wing.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Offered very little when he was here so he will not be missed. His booting the ball against the QP player and subsequent Red Card probably summed him up. Offloading quite a few but still no real CB competition. Boateng will be here till end of season so top four is still quite risky. Will be at Stenhousemuir for a challenging game.

1 hour ago, waysider said:

Going back to the above post, I've always thought of Brown as a winger. Apart from the last game he plays on the wing.

I thought you said you had blocked me and my alter ego?

Bryan Prunty was stuck out on the left wing last year.   Did that make him a winger?

What qualities do you think makes a good winger? What qualities does Brown possess?

11 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

I thought you said you had blocked me and my alter ego?

Bryan Prunty was stuck out on the left wing last year.   Did that make him a winger?

What qualities do you think makes a good winger? What qualities does Brown possess?

Would have to agree with you on this one, think he is what is described as a 'luxury' player sometimes. Needs 10 good players, playing well around about him to be truly effective, too often in games he goes missing or is just lazy, the way he holds himself on the pitch makes you think he would be better just behind the striker waiting to thread a good ball through, not chasing full backs towards his own goal or trying to make something out of nothing on the wing. 

Almost fell sorry for Schmidt, the system we played never really suited his style of punt and chase, hope he finds somewhere else but glad he is off the books now.

5 minutes ago, WeeDiamond90 said:

Would have to agree with you on this one, think he is what is described as a 'luxury' player sometimes. Needs 10 good players, playing well around about him to be truly effective, too often in games he goes missing or is just lazy, the way he holds himself on the pitch makes you think he would be better just behind the striker waiting to thread a good ball through, not chasing full backs towards his own goal or trying to make something out of nothing on the wing. 

Almost fell sorry for Schmidt, the system we played never really suited his style of punt and chase, hope he finds somewhere else but glad he is off the books now.

A winger needs to be comfortable in a 1v1 situation attacking opponents.   Brown doesn't like that at all.   McIntosh and Stewart are both much better at dropping a shoulder and skinning a full back.    Brown is a good passer and link man,  he gets good shots away early.   He's a midfielder in the no. 10 mould.    Russell is not a winger either in my book.   Again,  he is not someone who is going to take on a full back, hit a byeline and cut back for Ryan to score.  

As for Schidt,  what system does he need?   How many times was he 1v1 with the keeper and not hit the target?   Sorry,  he was just another absolutely horrendous purchase.

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

Schmidt tried his best but he was way out of his depth. Best option for both parties and hope he can find a club at his level.

which level would that be?   in fairness he stood out for Annan pre-season.   Should have stayed there.   I was there for that friendly when he scored 2 absolute screamers but I said after the game that he wouldn't get that amount of space to play in at our level.    Sad to be proven correct on this rare occasion.  

It's difficult to say what a good winger is these days. My ideal wingers were Willie Henderson and Jimmy Johnstone! 

Brown has pace and when he's not feart of the defender he can beat his man. He puts in some good crosses. He has a good shot but I accept that is not necessarily a quality of a winger. He is deficient in coming back to cover which is needed these days. Not perfect but the nearest we've got to a winger.

On the positive side getting rid of Schmidt has to mean that a player (or players) are coming in.

6 minutes ago, waysider said:

It's difficult to say what a good winger is these days. My ideal wingers were Willie Henderson and Jimmy Johnstone! 

All levels of football have wingers.   Bale and Ronaldo at Madrid usually are.   Neymar and Messi at Barca are.   Robben and Ribery at Bayern are.   Pedro and Hazard at Chelsea are.   Sanchez and Walcott at Arsenal.   Sinclair and Roberts at Celtic.   

Brown has pace and when he's not feart of the defender he can beat his man.

What does that mean?   Clearly it's not his game then?

On the positive side getting rid of Schmidt has to mean that a player (or players) are coming in.

Thanks for the incisive input as ever!  

6 hours ago, Kennboy1978 said:

If he did that facing goal he might have just scored.

Indeed but on the many occasions he was facing goal( QP first league game/ Peterhead away are ones I recall) he could not apply the boot. I never even saw the goals he scored for Annan against Airdrie. Well seen the missing "m" summed up his game. Frees up some money?

Archived