Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Woleki was King's mate and as time goes by I'm appreciating Woleki's view on how football should be played and his desire to move away from the route 1/second phase, caveman bullshit.  I also liked his plan to move away from signing has-beens and to trust the youth.   Like me, he was a devotee of Raymond  Verheijen's periodizadion methods too.   For me though, he just wasn't a very good manager, didn't quite have it all tacticly, and he didn't quite have the judgement of players (Faria for example and McDonald/Gorman/Daly too)  which was also compromised by the now seemingly defunct "Love" connection.

I'm not sure if things would have worked out better if Woleki hadn't suffered that horrific stroke.   Certainly leaving that strutting Peacock pr*ck King in charge absolutely wrecked that whole movement.

McBride still tried to keep the passing game going, albeit with a really schizo blend of talented and useless players but we now seem to be reverting to the caveman, route 1/second ball footy.  

Will the new way be better or worse?   

The idea of playing and punting younger players as a business model won't be so easy if we're relying on a more robust playing model.

Also still trying to figure out what Wilson's preferred tactics and formation are.   I genuinely think he's tearing his hair out as we have so many square pegs.   You can't seriously play the Woleki/McBride 433 without proper wingers.  And of course the lack of proper destroyers.   The plan was good, just the execution that was terrible.

Ps.  Spotted Woleki getting pushed through the hospital by his wife Emma last week.    What a horrific thing that poor guy suffered

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as Mensing goes,  I have no idea what he's capable of now.  

If he can organise our 3 or 4 man defence and be better than Boateng then we'd be laughing.   We really need an organiser in there.

Can see us going with a back 3 of McIntosh, Mensing and Gorman with Stewart and McDonald wide.    It's the only way we can get width into this wingerless team.   We'd likely go with Hutton and Conroy in midfield with Leitch or Brown supporting a front pair likely to be McKay and Ryan.    We'd have Russell and Brown off the bench for a bit more impact.   

We need Stewart wrapped in cotton wool.

Will be interesting to see how we line up at the back tomorrow now with Boateng and MacDonald suspended. I for one am quite glad actually as it will force the manager to actually think about his back four and not just keep putting the same dysfunctional back four out which obviously isn't working. Would like to see something like this -

Ferguson

Stewart        Cairns        McIntosh        Gorman

Hutton

Leitch                  Conroy

Russell/McKay         Ryan                Brown

For that system to work Hutton would basically need to sit right in front of the back two and act almost as a fifth defender and use his experience to try and marshal the young lads a bit. Would also require the two wingers to be quite narrow and close to Ryan, he is a fantastic asset but he can't work miracles every week and needs to have players in and around him to help create space for chances.  No good having two wingers who are always at the half way line or level with the midfielders, means we have very few out balls to play and leaves us with limited passing options which usually leads to mistakes.

1 hour ago, WeeDiamond90 said:

Would also require the two wingers to be quite narrow and close to Ryan

The opposite could work better too of we had our 2 wide men really high and wide allowing Ryan space to drop off and run at them and create space. 

Their strength is their compact shape.   We should be using that against them

Nothing like giving a guy a chance, eh?

Every time I've seen Mensing play against, I've left wishing he played for us. Hard as nails and bags of experience.

Admittedly I haven't seen him play for a few years, but why don't we maybe give him a couple of games before crucifying him?

Every time I've seen Mensing play against, I've left wishing he played for us. Hard as nails and bags of experience.
Admittedly I haven't seen him play for a few years, but why don't we maybe give him a couple of games before crucifying him?

Here we go the fucked in patter don't judge someone by skill just by how they get fucked in,He's done has been since he left Hamilton,Absolute rotten signing

Just now, el Gringo said:

That's what football is all about, opinions!

Every time i seen him play i thought he was complete and utter donkey, and that was when he was at his peak! A short term signing until the end of the season but what is clear is that our youngsters are clearly not deemed anywhere near good enough.

I admit that I don't know if Mensing is any good or not and he might turn out to be rotten, but at least let's give him a chance.

Redandwhitearmy, what leads you to the view that he's terrible? Have you been watching him in America? Before that how often have you seen him in the last few years? When I watch a match I would be hard pressed to comment on individual opponents. I only watch our players.

I'm not saying you're wrong but how come you can be so sure?

I admit that I don't know if Mensing is any good or not and he might turn out to be rotten, but at least let's give him a chance.
Redandwhitearmy, what leads you to the view that he's terrible? Have you been watching him in America? Before that how often have you seen him in the last few years? When I watch a match I would be hard pressed to comment on individual opponents. I only watch our players.
I'm not saying you're wrong but how come you can be so sure?

I've seen him playing against Airdrie never ever ever seen him play well against us Boots the ball the way he faces gets caught under the ball from crosses/By kicks,My granny could run faster than him

7 minutes ago, Redandwhitearmy78 said:

I've seen him playing against Airdrie never ever ever seen him play well against us Boots the ball the way he faces gets caught under the ball from crosses/By kicks,My granny could run faster than him

Anyone else think this could be big Bo? Getting the slightest inclination that he doesn't really like or rate Mensing, but then again maybe I'm reading to much into it.

YOU. ARE. A. MUPPET.

Cause I spread my opinion as a poster says above football is based on a opinion so piss off you nonce
Anyone else think this could be big Bo? Getting the slightest inclination that he doesn't really like or rate Mensing, but then again maybe I'm reading to much into it.

Nah just I know what big mensing is like we'll need to play him in the middle of a back 3 to see if we can still get whatever he had as footballer out him

Archived