Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

7 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

which level would that be?   in fairness he stood out for Annan pre-season.   Should have stayed there.   I was there for that friendly when he scored 2 absolute screamers but I said after the game that he wouldn't get that amount of space to play in at our level.    Sad to be proven correct on this rare occasion.  

It was more a rhetorical point really - can't say I've thought about it that much but I'm sure there will be a club somewhere at some level that's right for him. 

I never saw him at Annan but I'm sure anyone could have scored two goals against us that day TBF. A total joke of a way to sign a player in the first place.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, airdrieman said:

It was more a rhetorical point really - can't say I've thought about it that much but I'm sure there will be a club somewhere at some level that's right for him. 

I never saw him at Annan but I'm sure anyone could have scored two goals against us that day TBF. A total joke of a way to sign a player in the first place.

I was quite vocal that day that there was no midfield protection.    They were cracking finishes but give any pro or junior 10 yards of freedom at the edge of the area they should hit the target at least.

Anyway, he's gone.    We let go of Prunty and Cox who wanted to play for us,  underwhelmed guys like Cadden plus had Gow and Coogans were on trial and were overlooked.     Would any of them have done better?

Some of our buying policy has been truly horrendous since the Black King era started:

FLOPS: 

FARIA > WATT    Really, did that happen?

FERGUSON/MACKIN > O'NEILL/PRUNTY  Again, what did that prove and what was the purpose?   O'Neill would be a low cost starter now and Prunty was happy with a supporting role.

MCDONALD > BAIN  Wouldn't swap 10 McDonalds for 1 Bain and thats saying something.

BOATENG + GORMAN > CRIGHTON + LITHGOW  As much as I despised Dizzy and Dosey they at least had experience and were bang average.   Not the kind of players for a progressive side and both had little upside but Boateng in particular is a circus act by comparison.   Gorman should come good and has more to offer but needed help to settle him.   A rebuilding job that needed done but was badly executed.

RUSSELL + SCHMIDT > COX + CADDEN  Again no contest.  Russell at 35 now has commanded a big wage and flipped the over 26s policy, and, given his status, has been a bit of a disaster.  A "jobs for the boys" if ever I saw 1.   Scmhidt with nothing at all contributed.

ESPOSITO > ???  Yeah, that was an intruiging one.

DALY > ESPOSITO   Contributed less than Esposito

SUCCESS?

RYAN > LISTER   At least this one worked out spectacularly well.

CONROY > FARIA  No contest but then the bar was set extremely low.  Conroy has been outstanding

LEITCH > MCLAUGHLIN  Another desperation move like Boateng's but this one seems to be working.   Any chance of retaining Leitch will depend on promotion.

All in all a bit of a disaster area.

Totally agree with DBM about the summer signings. Only Ryan, Conroy and Leitch have been a success although some will argue that Russell has scored 13 goals (albeit mostly pens) and as a forward should be judged on this. It's now obvious we would have been in a better place squad wise if we had kept the likes of O'Neill or Bain and at least one of Crighton or Lithgow. However there weren't many on here too disappointed at the time when they left the club. 

I had hoped we would have seen at least one new defender signed since the last game. We've freed up some space in the squad this week and hopefully this means we will be bringing a couple of new faces in before the transfer window closes although this doesn't really apply to us as we will be looking at free agents and maybe loans.

25 minutes ago, Hugh Jarss said:

Totally agree with DBM about the summer signings. Only Ryan, Conroy and Leitch have been a success although some will argue that Russell has scored 13 goals (albeit mostly pens) and as a forward should be judged on this. It's now obvious we would have been in a better place squad wise if we had kept the likes of O'Neill or Bain and at least one of Crighton or Lithgow. However there weren't many on here too disappointed at the time when they left the club.

I had hoped we would have seen at least one new defender signed since the last game. We've freed up some space in the squad this week and hopefully this means we will be bringing a couple of new faces in before the transfer window closes although this doesn't really apply to us as we will be looking at free agents and maybe loans.

I would agree with that comment for Lithgow and perhaps Crighton but I would disagree hugely with Bain and O'Neill, I was gutted. They are two players who should have been retained, would mean we would have had O'Neill putting pressure on MacDonald at LB so he isn't becoming complacent and also acts as a really useful back up for RB and at a young age has plenty of time to develop. Bain would allow us to play Stewart in a far more effective position without having to learn as he goes. In addition to that would allow McIntosh to develop as well and not be shoe horned in at RB to cover for an injured Stewart who again is being shoe horned in their to make ends meet. I would honestly take them back tomorrow if they were available.

30 minutes ago, Hugh Jarss said:

I said at the time that the rebuilding should have been around the young core that we had.     Rohan, O'Neill, Watt, Cadden, Stewart, McIntosh, Leighton.   We had local lads who wouldn't cost the earth like Bain and Cox who wanted to be part of the future and wouldn't cost so much either.    Ideally we could have had Rohan, O'Neill, Crighton, McIntosh and Bain (or a better left back/Gorman) in defence.       We could have had 3 from Fitz, Watt, Stewart, Brown and (Conroy or Leitch) in midfield with Cox, Ryan and Cadden as your front 3 with Prunty or a Coogans as back up to Ryan.

It would have been a cheaper team,  more depth,  better and have more valuable young players to trade.    It's easy to say in hindsight but we were all almost unanimous at the time before those 2 clowns were let loose.

In defense of Russell, Prunty or Coogans never came as close to ever scoring as many goals penalties or not withstanding & we would be in a far worse scenario without his contribution. 

Watt couldn't make the bench for Livi & it will remain to be seen if he makes the same effective contribution at Brechin that he did in the later part of last season.

Agree that Bain should have been kept, but Cox would have given the ball away more often as not.

Solid central defense (with bench cover) & good holding midfielder still remains the problem 

Looking at Russell there has been a lot of criticism of him. Some of it is warranted especially his disciplinary record. However, I think much of it is unfair. We have to accept that he is coming towards the end of his career and is slower in every respect than he was 5 years ago. However, to suggest, as some have, that he was not a good signing is in my opinion wide of the mark. He has scored a lot of goals and the fact that a lot of them are penalties doesn't matter. A goal is a goal. Also his link up play with Ryan and Brown is excellent and he has a number of assists.

The one point I would make is that he has to be played in a position to have shots at goal. Sticking him on the wing or in midfield is a waste of time.

49 minutes ago, CumbyDiamond said:

In defense of Russell, Prunty or Coogans never came as close...

I suggested either of them instead of Schmidt as a back up to Ryan, not Russell.    Cadden would have been my preference over Russell as left wing.   

Watt couldn't make the bench for Livi 

Watt scored into double figures from midfield last season.   At Dec/Jan last season we should have been rebuilding around him.   Watt not playing for Livvy is more about their scouting and overall competence is it not?  Livvy signed our ex players to nobble us.  Brechin certainly value Watt appropriately.

Agree that Bain should have been kept, but Cox would have given the ball away...

We're obviously crying over spilt milk but Cox was a good, wholehearted competitor in his prime.

With Regard to Cadden it was said at the Q and A that major efforts were made to keep him but following him getting an agent he signed for Livi for more money. From recollection, I think it was King who said so some people might not believe it.

15 minutes ago, waysider said:

With Regard to Cadden it was said at the Q and A that major efforts were made to keep him but following him getting an agent he signed for Livi for more money. From recollection, I think it was King who said so some people might not believe it.

And why would you believe it? From what I gather the money he was offering existing players was awful because he didn't really fancy them, so who is to say the same didn't happen with Cadden? The man has basically kept us in this league for another year, barring a miracle, through his poor 'management' of the club and treating it like some kind of real life FM game.

6 minutes ago, WeeDiamond90 said:

And why would you believe it? From what I gather the money he was offering existing players was awful because he didn't really fancy them, so who is to say the same didn't happen with Cadden? The man has basically kept us in this league for another year, barring a miracle, through his poor 'management' of the club and treating it like some kind of real life FM game.

You might think that but I couldn't possibly comment.

It's you whose thick TBM. It's a well known quote (although obviously not to you) from a book by Michael Dobbs called House of Cards where a scheming politician put words in people's mouths and when they were quoted back to him he said "you might think that but I couldn't possibly comment" so it wouldn't come back to him.

Was shown on TV and then famously adapted for U S A.

Obviously above your head thicko.

9 minutes ago, waysider said:

It's you whose thick TBM. It's a well known quote (although obviously not to you) from a book by Michael Dobbs called House of Cards where a scheming politician put words in people's mouths and when they were quoted back to him he said "you might think that but I couldn't possibly comment" so it wouldn't come back to him.

Was shown on TV and then famously adapted for U S A.

Obviously above your head thicko.

Maybe Dobbs used the quote in the intended context?   But you throw it out there as you have no answer to weediamond?

Just now, DestroyedByMadness said:

Maybe Dobbs used the quote in the intended context?   But you throw it out there as you have no answer to weediamond?

Yeah still trying to figure out where he put words in my mouth to make that quote valid, mind you I'm probably just thick #itsaconspiracy

2 minutes ago, WeeDiamond90 said:

Yeah still trying to figure out where he put words in my mouth to make that quote valid, mind you I'm probably just thick #itsaconspiracy

I'm so happy we're not all on Waysnider's level

All he does is start fights and kill discussions.   His first post was a dig at me, said he'd been a passive viewer for years but didnt want to comment.  Now has 439 comments in under a year and still not made 1 single point.

16 hours ago, Ceecil said:

Well if we do it come back with someone decent, i'll still go if not goodbye all because a total lack of ambition when we need it.

It's good that your first post wasn't complete and utter word spaghetti...oh wait...

Archived