Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

If you're putting someone who has watched Airdrie for 30 years week in and week out in the same fan bracket as someone whose son, brother, uncle, cousin plays for us for a season or two, then no I'm afraid you've nae chance of getting there.

The only bracket I have is "people who are entitled to express an opinion".  I can't really think of any other that reasonably applies.

As an occasional attender in the later years of the Ballantyne managed decline I was encouraged by our chairman's philosophy & the prospect of full time football given the encouraging end to last season. Although the team dismantled felt that the new signings Russell, Conroy & Ryan in the main showed promise & bought first season ticket in a while & prepared to give my full support to a season full of promise. League cup games we showed some promise but knew there would be a lot of work. After the first home Livingston game, felt that they were as good as they were going to get but we were improving. Peterhead & Rovers at home made me question that but felt after Alloa away the lessons had been learnt and we steadily improved from then on, did however, think that an experienced manager would improve us so much more.

When McBride sacked expected a Danny Lennon type replacement & was disheartened by the appointment of Wilson which has now come home to roost. These guys are quickly killing the club & should go now. The crowds may never flood back but I am sure there are few such as myself who are now questioning whether its worth the money or the bother given our expectations that Wotherspoon may have had a plan to get us challenging in the Championship.

For what its worth;

Gorman is the worst defender I have seen in recent years & would take Boeteng or Mcgregor in team ahead of him any day. Felt Boeteng took most of the crticism (as guilty of the odd sclaff - a feature Mensing also exhibits) when Gorman more culpable. Boeteng steadily improved until sending off, think the guy has real confidence issues & the sending off & comments from the pundits set this back 10x.

Ferguson OK he is young but has sown no sign of improvement, not vocal enough, unable to command 6 yard box, slow with an outball & right now couldn't catch a cold.

We cannot play Brown & Russell in same team as both don't defend when needed, would rather have Brown than Russell who has contributed nothing since November & said on Saturday he was going to miss penalty as just doesn't seem interested.

Leitch plays better when Conroy right behind & vise versa.

Actually thought that both McIntosh & MacDonald had their best games so far on Saturday & both steadily improving.

"If you can't support us when we draw or lose, don't support us when we win."

I feel that quote doesn't really relate to the Airdrieonians situation. 

No fan expects a win every single week. But there's a difference between that and getting constantly gubbed by part timers while the management scratches their heads in bewilderment before blaming the fans for being too mean.

An occasional win would suit me. And a manager who doesn't appear to have a scooby!

"If you can't support us when we draw or lose, don't support us when we win."
I feel that quote doesn't really relate to the Airdrieonians situation. 
No fan expects a win every single week. But there's a difference between that and getting constantly gubbed by part timers while the management scratches their heads in bewilderment before blaming the fans for being too mean.
An occasional win would suit me. And a manager who doesn't appear to have a scooby!

We're no asking for much tbh

It's unbelievable that we are still in a play off position after our recent form and it would be even more unbelievable if we managed to stay there and win the play off. St Mirren are bottom and whilst a cup tie can be a 1 off, they look miles ahead of us.

TW should already be preparing for next season and looking at his lessons learned and i would love to know what went on with Iain King. Lets hope he doesn't give up as the options appear limited bearing in mind the Ballantynes were trying to sell for years.

Mark Wilson should also learn or his coaching career will be over before its starts, give up the punditry young man, no one is taking you seriously!

Then again come May, perhaps we are all hailing him as the new Mourinho. 

I'm struggling to find the Shankly quote which says "fans are all entitled to their opinions except the ones who are related to the players .... they can just f*ck off".

His mammy or the keepers da aren't supporters of airdrie. If their family members signed with the old firm or Albion Rovers or who ever tomorrow they'd be off supporting them. Our club survives on our supporters. If our supporters aren't happy and don't go to games then we don't have a club. However, you'd think the way Wilson and TW go on that we are some major inconvenience whose views are irrelevant. They should be a bit more great full and show a bit more respect to the hand that feeds them.

What does it matter?

Sit among the fans and be prepared to listen to the most irrelevant, low IQ, misappropriated shite you could ever imagine.   It's their choice.

I get embarrassed and offended at the shite coming out of some folks mouths.

There would be no shouting if Diesel, Wilson and Droopy Doolittle could do their jobs. 

It's ALL their faults. 

F**K OFF DIESEL AND WILSON 

21 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

His mammy or the keepers da aren't supporters of airdrie.

Whether they are is neither here nor there.  They're entitled to support their kids in their chosen profession and challenge opinions they hear expressed which they disagree with, especially if they feel those opinions unduly harsh or unfair.  Football just happens to be one of those jobs were the opportunity exists to do that.  Don't try it if your kids work in a bank or Macdonalds.

1 hour ago, stuartcraig said:

Fixed that for you.  We are talking about Airdrie fans here remember.

It's the same anywhere, despite what that w@nker King and his ex "Mucker" said to you all at that Q+A.  I'd lay off slating our own.

The players parents are entitled to defend their kids but why were they there?

7 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

It's the same anywhere, despite what that w@nker King and his ex "Mucker" said to you all at that Q+A.  I'd lay off slating our own.

The players parents are entitled to defend their kids but why were they there?

Who's slating?  I'm a crabbit old sh!te.  I'm from Airdrie.  I don't think both facts are coincidental. On the contrary, I'm quite proud of it.

As for why the parents were there, you'd have to ask them.  Maybe supporting their kids.  That would be my reason if it was my kid playing for a team other than the one I follow.

1 hour ago, stuartcraig said:

As for why the parents were there, you'd have to ask them.  Maybe supporting their kids.  That would be my reason if it was my kid playing for a team other than the one I follow.

Most clubs astutely hide the parents and families away from the riff raff.

7 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Whether they are is neither here nor there.  They're entitled to support their kids in their chosen profession and challenge opinions they hear expressed which they disagree with, especially if they feel those opinions unduly harsh or unfair.  Football just happens to be one of those jobs were the opportunity exists to do that.  Don't try it if your kids work in a bank or Macdonalds.

I watched Leitch's family have a go at a genuine, and mostly quiet, Airdrie fan who I've known from his Staging Post days in the early nineties. Leitch's dad and (I assume) sister went on at this bloke telling him to get behind his team and back his players, and they went on....and on.... What the fella had said about the player was fairly mundane criticism.

I'm with TCK on this one. The families of these players, well meaning as they may be, probably get in on comp's while telling people who pay their son's/dad's/brothers's wages how to behave? Nah, f**k that. 

To use your analogy, If my brother worked in McDonalds and failed to put a burger in every bun, then I'd expect some outrage from his customers. But of course that's not a fair comparison. These lads are being paid to do a job that most of us would love to do, even for a few years. They're clearly not up to it if they cant hack a few hundred of us bellowing at them in a vast, empty chasm. Wilson equally so. 

There's far too much analysis of how the environment around the player is wrong. As if these guy's are some sort of majestic, ethereal entity who are crushed by a hint of criticism yet could be built up to a Roman-esque force through our support. It's all bollocks. Our most successful team of all time took some of the most vociferous abuse I've ever seen. Yet Wilson's lot need the backing of two men and his dog dotted about the Death Star? I don't buy any of this.

ETA: f**k you Wilson. If you read this or someone reads it to you: f**k you.

Archived