Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

I love the way that everyone thinks it's fine to abuse players especially kids in front of parents but are absolutely incensed when Mark Wilson has a go at fans. 

Heaven help whoever has a go if McGregor makes a mistake as they'll have to answer to his mum & his dad on here.

"Football without the fans is nothing " was Jock Stein not Shankly. 

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish we got comps! I bring several people every week and we all pay our £16. That should qualify us as supporters, albeit temporary.

On the flip side of this argument, Id only ever comment if the abuse was personal (ie about him rather than football). Taking flack collectively when your team is playing poorly is part of the deal. If players cant take it, they are in the wrong job. Turning out for a team whos fans were baying for blood the previous week is the character building stuff. Can be very hard for a YOUNG player however, who are trying to learn their craft and actually earning a pittance.

Could you imagine Davie Kirkwood or Paul jack or their likes needing their family to fight their battles with fans? It just confirms what utter blouses your modern day footballer is.

Things that were standard practice back in the day and part and parcel of the game are now becoming taboos leading to further sanitisation of the game- now wonder nobody can be arsed going anymore. If all you're left with is the 'product' on the park then you can get better value for money at the cinema.

The more you tell folk not to do something either then the more likely they'll rebel and do it.

Mark Wilson has some cheek to even think he can tell us how to behave as well - can find the time every night to advise Mark Warburton/ Graham Murty or Brendan Rodgers how to run a club but ask him to speak to our fans and he's nowhere to be seen.

He won't need to worry about his wee snowflakes getting abuse on Saturday because if we go 1 down there will only be one man any abuse will be directed at.

8 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Could you imagine Davie Kirkwood or Paul jack or their likes needing their family to fight their battles with fans? It just confirms what utter blouses your modern day footballer is.

Things that were standard practice back in the day and part and parcel of the game are now becoming taboos leading to further sanitisation of the game- now wonder nobody can be arsed going anymore. If all you're left with is the 'product' on the park then you can get better value for money at the cinema.

The more you tell folk not to do something either then the more likely they'll rebel and do it.

Mark Wilson has some cheek to even think he can tell us how to behave as well - can find the time every night to advise Mark Warburton/ Graham Murty or Brendan Rodgers how to run a club but ask him to speak to our fans and he's nowhere to be seen.

He won't need to worry about his wee snowflakes getting abuse on Saturday because if we go 1 down there will only be one man any abuse will be directed at.

He's available to speak to the fans every Thursday night 6-8

The number is 0800 800 1025

If you need another number to talk about his teams performance google The Samaritans 

7 hours ago, Yoda8 said:

I love the way that everyone thinks it's fine to abuse players especially kids in front of parents but are absolutely incensed when Mark Wilson has a go at fans. 

Heaven help whoever has a go if McGregor makes a mistake as they'll have to answer to his mum & his dad on here.

"Football without the fans is nothing " was Jock Stein not Shankly. 

Kids? Yet another misnomer. These lads are all over 18. I'm sure they've had worse insults hurled at them during their schools days rather than being told they're shite by an angry man about 100 yards away from them. "The abuse" the players get, is 99% of the time, nothing more than a feeble insult. If they're of such a sensitive character then they're in the wrong game. Remember these are the same lads that will be on social media bigging themselves up as a #baller etc. 

The thing about the Wilson, and how "incensed" everyone is, is that we as fans pay our money so that he can have a salary. To come out and bite the hand that feeds you is the mark of a man that's lost the plot and has zero respect for the people who still turn up to watch the brand of football he puts on the park. 

9 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

I watched Leitch's family have a go at a genuine, and mostly quiet, Airdrie fan who I've known from his Staging Post days in the early nineties. Leitch's dad and (I assume) sister went on at this bloke telling him to get behind his team and back his players, and they went on....and on.... What the fella had said about the player was fairly mundane criticism.

I'm with TCK on this one. The families of these players, well meaning as they may be, probably get in on comp's while telling people who pay their son's/dad's/brothers's wages how to behave? Nah, f**k that. 

To use your analogy, If my brother worked in McDonalds and failed to put a burger in every bun, then I'd expect some outrage from his customers. But of course that's not a fair comparison. These lads are being paid to do a job that most of us would love to do, even for a few years. They're clearly not up to it if they cant hack a few hundred of us bellowing at them in a vast, empty chasm. Wilson equally so. 

There's far too much analysis of how the environment around the player is wrong. As if these guy's are some sort of majestic, ethereal entity who are crushed by a hint of criticism yet could be built up to a Roman-esque force through our support. It's all bollocks. Our most successful team of all time took some of the most vociferous abuse I've ever seen. Yet Wilson's lot need the backing of two men and his dog dotted about the Death Star? I don't buy any of this.

ETA: f**k you Wilson. If you read this or someone reads it to you: f**k you.

So, in your example, you're talking about degrees of behaviour.  I'd agree that its easily possible to cross a line where it's moves from just expressing an opinion and travels to abuse / harassment, which shouldn't really be acceptable.

The original assertion, however, was that established supporters had every entitlement to vocally express opinions about players, whether harsh or fair, personal or constructive, but that those players friends and families had no right to challenge that, regardless of whether they do it in a fair way or an abusive way.  I don't agree.

Anyhoo, on a diffferent topic, you drank in the Post in the early 90s? Me too.  I was crushed when I discovered it's recently been transformed into some sectarian sh!itehole.  Just the kind of thing the town centre needs.

1 minute ago, Redandwhitearmy78 said:

Billy brown?

He had an absolute mental breakdown when he was East Fife manager a few years back. Took the microphone off the announcer to have a go at the fans and then gave a bizarre post-match interview where he paced up and down like a caged lion, staring wildly into the camera and went on about how we were "strugglin' a lot.

The way I see it the terraces are a slightly different world where the normal rules of conduct are slightly skewed. It is acceptable (and should be imo) to shout and holler at footballers who are making a hash of things on the park. But if, after the game I found myself walking doon the street behind Gorman or Ferguson I certainly wouldn't feel at liberty to abuse them. That would just be out of order.

Football is about passion and people become passionate when watching their team. From my experience I have never heard anything shouted by fans which has made me think "Come on, that's going too far."  It's usually just the standard "Get him tae fūck!" "Useless cūnt!" or other some such well thought out obervations.

Fact is the modern world is becoming increasingly concerned about peoples feelings and people being quick to take offence at things. Those of such a sensitive and fragile nature should probably hire a vip box or request that their club designate a 'safe space' for them in order to shield them from brutal reality.

He had an absolute mental breakdown when he was East Fife manager a few years back. Took the microphone off the announcer to have a go at the fans and then gave a bizarre post-match interview where he paced up and down like a caged lion, staring wildly into the camera and went on about how we were "strugglin' a lot.

Fs hahaha sounds lit Wilson alright

Seen this video on YT

Magnificent viewing.  Truly, truly excellent. 

At first, I thought it was a Béla Tarr prizewinning film from Cannes, exploring madness, suffering and the isolation, humiliation and barely-suppressed rage that form the human condition. But it was something much darker... diddy fitba in Scotland. 

2 hours ago, Airdrie♢Diamond said:

Fact is the modern world is becoming increasingly concerned about peoples feelings and people being quick to take offence at things. Those of such a sensitive and fragile nature should probably hire a vip box or request that their club designate a 'safe space' for them in order to shield them from brutal reality.

.... and any observer of American politics will tell you that it seems to be the loudest, most regular and most extreme complainers who are the most sensitive whenever the criticism returns in their direction.

Archived