Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Contrary to what I said last night, there may well be 1 or 2 more signings. One of the youth coaches I know was talking to Donald Jennow and he said they had a couple of players doing pre-season training so they could have a look at them. He couldn't say who they were though.

There has to be. We tried to keep 2 central defenders from last year for instance. And obviously failed. Those positions will need to be filled.

Not really the experienced and/or ball playing centre half we're looking for. I've probably seen the lad play but have no recollection of him at all.

Just under a week now until pre - season training starts. Most of our business is evidently done but I'd still be expecting/hoping that players will be brought in over the duration of pre - season. A first team squad of 16 is fine but reasonably light so I imagine it may get buttressed with loan signings as the season progresses. Hopefully of a better quality than the loanees we had this year.

I agree that our priorities should be a centre - half and creative midfielder(s). However, I wouldn't so no to another striker. Ryan and Russell are a quality strike force but they're only two players and for various reasons - form, injury, suspension, tactics or team selection may be out of the side. Given that our other strikers are all untested youth players I think having another striker is pretty important if for whatever reason Ryan and Russell aren't producing. Someone who's versatile like Wallace could be useful too given that we're going for a smaller squad and so the ability of quality players to cover in other positions could be important (admittedly that's heavily negated by the amount of time he spends on the treatment table).

Still work to be done on every position then excluding goalkeeper.

Not really the experienced and/or ball playing centre half we're looking for. I've probably seen the lad play but have no recollection of him at all.

Just under a week now until pre - season training starts. Most of our business is evidently done but I'd still be expecting/hoping that players will be brought in over the duration of pre - season. A first team squad of 16 is fine but reasonably light so I imagine it may get buttressed with loan signings as the season progresses. Hopefully of a better quality than the loanees we had this year.

I agree that our priorities should be a centre - half and creative midfielder(s). However, I wouldn't so no to another striker. Ryan and Russell are a quality strike force but they're only two players and for various reasons - form, injury, suspension, tactics or team selection may be out of the side. Given that our other strikers are all untested youth players I think having another striker is pretty important if for whatever reason Ryan and Russell aren't producing. Someone who's versatile like Wallace could be useful too given that we're going for a smaller squad and so the ability of quality players to cover in other positions could be important (admittedly that's heavily negated by the amount of time he spends on the treatment table).

TBH I would rather we spent the wages on someone who excels at one position in particular, otherwise they would have been as well keeping Cox's who was equally as versatile. With regards to strikers I would agree we perhaps need another one who fits the mould of a big lump but priority should be a CB and a creative mid.  

Here's some comments about yer man, posted earlier today in the Stenhousemuir FC thread:

Having had Lithgow play for Stenny also would you go as far as to say their similar type of defenders no nonsense but get the job done. I think Murray could be a similar replacement for Lithgow but a bit younger.

There has to be. We tried to keep 2 central defenders from last year for instance. And obviously failed. Those positions will need to be filled.

I think if we had kept Lithgow and Crighton... One those 2 would have been on bench I think Gorman has been signed as first choice centre half.

I can genuinely see us signing Wallace and playing him out on the right wing. I think it would very interesting to know what players are training with the club at the moment. 

I can genuinely see us signing Wallace and playing him out on the right wing. I think it would very interesting to know what players are training with the club at the moment.

No one is training with the club, because training hasn't started yet.

Had a look on pfa website on player availability, Murray is on it who we are rumoured to be signing. The other players i recognise on it (defenders) Ewan Moyes played with Brechin and also El Zubaidi who we tried to sign last season. One player I seen on it who i would definatly try and sign is Francis Angol who was at Motherwell. Ryan Donnelly is also on it also and I would sign him also, full time football I believe could be the making of him.

Had a look on pfa website on player availability, Murray is on it who we are rumoured to be signing. The other players i recognise on it (defenders) Ewan Moyes played with Brechin and also El Zubaidi who we tried to sign last season. One player I seen on it who i would definatly try and sign is Francis Angol who was at Motherwell. Ryan Donnelly is also on it also and I would sign him also, full time football I believe could be the making of him.

Ryan Donnelly you serious? No this shite again

I think if we had kept Lithgow and Crighton... One those 2 would have been on bench I think Gorman has been signed as first choice centre half.

You may be right. Based on that though we wanted 3 centre halves. We currently have 1 (bar the guys in the u20's who I'd imagine were always going to sign). So I can't see our business being done based on that alone.

Why have you randomly started typing in italics btw!?

El zubadi useless, Donnelly useless.

You may be right. Based on that though we wanted 3 centre halves. We currently have 1 (bar the guys in the u20's who I'd imagine were always going to sign). So I can't see our business being done based on that alone.

Why have you randomly started typing in italics btw!?

By accident I changed the typing format :-). I get your point its all up in the air though we have let go of  a lot more than we have kept.

El zubadi useless, Donnelly useless.

Haven't seen much of El Zubaidi to really comment but know he choose Cowdenbeath over us last year. Donnelly wasn't useless the season he banged in well over 20 goals would you agree or disagree, I actually think when we made the  step up to championship the following year it didn't help a lot of the players in that season the only one who really flourished was Chris ONeil who didn't look out of place. I also heard of Ayr fan when he was their he had actually had done reasonably well and had knuckled down and had worked hard. Donnelly like it or not has showed he has potential, teams like Wigan and Celtic don't scout you if you don't have a talent. I just believe if the club had Donnelly training full time you could unearth a really good player. Footballers sometimes lose their way, look at big Jimmy Lister he actually went down to Juniors then made the step back up.

Haven't seen much of El Zubaidi to really comment but know he choose Cowdenbeath over us last year. Donnelly wasn't useless the season he banged in well over 20 goals would you agree or disagree, I actually think when we made the step up to championship the following year it didn't help a lot of the players in that season the only one who really flourished was Chris ONeil who didn't look out of place. I also heard of Ayr fan when he was their he had actually had done reasonably well and had knuckled down and had worked hard. Donnelly like it or not has showed he has potential, teams like Wigan and Celtic don't scout you if you don't have a talent. I just believe if the club had Donnelly training full time you could unearth a really good player. Footballers sometimes lose their way, look at big Jimmy Lister he actually went down to Juniors then made the step back up.

Donnelly had a great HALF a season, he went for a training week to Wigan and came back thinking he was Billy big spuds, he then had a sh1te second half, flopped, and has found himself on the slippery slope to the juniors.

I for one am glad he won't be signed.

Donnelly had a great HALF a season, he went for a training week to Wigan and came back thinking he was Billy big spuds, he then had a sh1te second half, flopped, and has found himself on the slippery slope to the juniors.

I for one am glad he won't be signed.

That is fair enough, maybe he realises now he made mistake, maybe the pressure got to much he was young . I wouldn't write of him of though as I had not seem a striker since Coyle be such a good finisher that season than Donnelly was.

That is fair enough, maybe he realises now he made mistake, maybe the pressure got to much he was young . I wouldn't write of him of though as I had not seem a striker since Coyle be such a good finisher that season than Donnelly was.

Are you at the wind up?

Archived