Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Guest LonglivetheKING

I think you're being a bit unfair to Fiztpatrick Airdrieman. He's been made captain by 3 different managers so he can't be that bad. He can play in several positions and he is experienced, an attribute which is in short supply in the current squad.

He has experience of being shite in 4 different positions as captain. No arguing there.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's clear and has been for a while that the squad isn't good enough for promotion. Guys like Faria, Fitzpatrick and Brown should not be there and there are too many unproven youth players. Thankfully, there's still time to fix things and hopefully there's the money now too now that King is gone.

I agree no going to win anything with those three clowns

Guest LonglivetheKING

Can't see how King could be solely to blame for any of the signings, whether they weren't good enough or not ready for the first team.

Surely to f**k the clubs owner needs to rubber stamp any contract???

Clearly not, whats point of having a ceo?

Clearly not, whats point of having a ceo?

Imo, a ceo will use too much of our budget. Surely a club looking who are in the transition from part time to full time should be using as much of its financial recourses on the playing squad as possible.

Don't know when this happened but think it pretty recent. The OS has the squad updated. Shows 12 players and the only young ones are Higgins, McIntosh and Loudon.

If T W still has the same plan as previously stated there is room for 4 more signings.

Guest LonglivetheKING

Imo, a ceo will use too much of our budget. Surely a club looking who are in the transition from part time to full time should be using as much of its financial recourses on the playing squad as possible.

If Ceo was bringing in revenue over and above his salary then fine. He'd be a nett win.

What was "kingy"? Was he u20s coach who wanted 1st team duties too? Was he chief exec? What was his footprint idea? Did it increase crowds? What was his influence? His good advice netted us a womens coach who was a disaster. Their good advice lost us several young and old players, mostly acrimoniously. And weve been strangled by some ugly looking deals.

Thankfully TW has woken up but I fear those eejits decisions will curse us for years.

It's one thing over the years that has bothered me it's the lack of communication from the club. I can understand they want to get deals signed and sealed before any announcement but right at this moment the silence is deafening.

In the end it doesnt really matter. Half the bullshit we hear turns out to be false hope. Some of the classics this summer have included allegedly ITK rumblings about Gasparotto, Coogans, Kidd, Faria to reserves, "an Irish guy", Watt getting offered a deal, Taylor Morgan coming back, etc.

Actions speak louder than words.

Just look at our potential starting XI as things stand:

Ferguson

Higgins McIntosh Gorman McDonald

Stewart Faria Fitzpatrick Brown

Ryan Russell

That is not an impressive team at all.   Very inexperienced in defence,  a real lack of creativity (anything) in midfield but a decent though thin forward line.

With Loudon the only other player listed as first team,  you'd think we have four spaces.   My diamond midfield solution with Gow as the no. 10 would be an improvement on the above,  but we're still desperately thin.   A full back, a central defender and another striker would be a must.   And that's not allowing for a potential injury or suspension to Rohan which would be catastrophic.

I can see us having to start the season with;

Ferguson

New RB,  New CH,  Gorman, McDonald

(Higgins, Mcintosh)

Stewart,  Faria, Fitzpatrick

(Brown) (the Irish guy)

Gow

Ryan and Russell

(Coogans, though I'm not sure he's on the radar like some suggest)

Out of the kids,  there is some potential but some of them are miles away.   Kerr, Ross, Cairns, Leslie, Truesdale, Russell, Bell, McGrory, Russell, McLaughlin, Loudon and Thomson look a while away yet,  I liked Leighton but would think he'd be likely to get not much more than some occasional seasoning this season.

On the basis of the above, I'd think we'd be looking at using the loan market more than I think we'd planned.    A goalie,  a midfielder and possibly another defender will soon be needed depending on performance.

He's definitely training with us. Given that he didn't play all that often last year (injuries?) it seems sensible to have a good look at him before offering him a contract.

I know it's for charity, if he's going to get offered a deal and knowing how prone to picking up an injury, is it wise for him to play in Brian mcphee charity game. Just saying

We have 2 players currently training with us (gow and Daly) not sure on the Euan Murray situation now since King has left as I think it was King that wanted to sign him. Still need 2 more defenders, winger and a back up striker, can't see coogans signing anymore, not heard anything about Lewis Kidd.

Daly posted a picture of the stadium on his Instagram with a "delighted to sign" type post so he's either signing for us, Glasgow Uni or Glasgow City. Although his tweets to Joe Gorman give that game away. He seemed to be expecting to formally sign last week so possibly King's departure has delayed that. 

Just look at our potential starting XI as things stand:

Ferguson

Higgins McIntosh Gorman McDonald

Stewart Faria Fitzpatrick Brown

Ryan Russell

That is not an impressive team at all.   Very inexperienced in defence,  a real lack of creativity (anything) in midfield but a decent though thin forward line.

With Loudon the only other player listed as first team,  you'd think we have four spaces.   My diamond midfield solution with Gow as the no. 10 would be an improvement on the above,  but we're still desperately thin.   A full back, a central defender and another striker would be a must.   And that's not allowing for a potential injury or suspension to Rohan which would be catastrophic.

I can see us having to start the season with;

Ferguson

New RB,  New CH,  Gorman, McDonald

(Higgins, Mcintosh)

Stewart,  Faria, Fitzpatrick

(Brown) (the Irish guy)

Gow

Ryan and Russell

(Coogans, though I'm not sure he's on the radar like some suggest)

Out of the kids,  there is some potential but some of them are miles away.   Kerr, Ross, Cairns, Leslie, Truesdale, Russell, Bell, McGrory, Russell, McLaughlin, Loudon and Thomson look a while away yet,  I liked Leighton but would think he'd be likely to get not much more than some occasional seasoning this season.

On the basis of the above, I'd think we'd be looking at using the loan market more than I think we'd planned.    A goalie,  a midfielder and possibly another defender will soon be needed depending on performance.

Would imagine that would be our starting XI right now which as you and everyone else concedes is very weak. A creative centre mid (possibly Daly or Gow) and a centre - half are clearly the priorities. Another striker would also be ideal (Coogans has reportedly been seen at Ravenscraig) and then another player (probably another defender since that's where we are lightest although I wouldn't say no to another midfielder). 

I've never seen Higgins, McIntosh or Louden play to be able to give an opinion on whether or not they're good enough to step up but there are clearly far too many young apprentices signed up. I assume the 9 apprentices will be waged? Wasting a wage on 9 players who aren't yet good enough to play regular first team football and as a result will hardly feature is a disaster. Obviously, their wages won't be that high but their combined wage of could be and should be used on experienced quality players. (That's not to mention Faria, Fitzpatrick and Brown who are also wasting a wage). They'll effectively just be U20s players which means they could have just been kept on U20s contracts in the first place and played the same amount of first team football (none) at no additional cost to the first team.

Whilst this post is obviously negative if we can make the 4 or so quality additions that we need then we may not turn out to be a bad side. Our team last season was utterly dreadful but at half - time on the last day of the season we were sitting in 4th place. We obviously can't afford to be that bad again but this league is gash. We have one of the best strike partnerships in the league. If we can sign someone in the midfield who'll give them the ball and if we can steady the defence we may not turn out not too badly. King seems to have been blamed for recruitment. Now that he's gone hopefully we can make the improvements to the squad that we need.

Archived