shire v edin city

As I saw it, the defender took the ball with him - effectively in the crook of his arm? - as he slid along and then tried to get up. That's a penalty.

City were fluent and played some nice stuff for most of the first half. You'd have thought they were the team from the division above. They should have been several goals to the good at the break - as well as scoring the penalty, they missed free headers past each post, Allum skied a good chance over the top, and the 'Shire keeper did marvellously to tip a longer-range effort onto the bar. Visitors had little answer and had to resort to heavy challenges which clocked-up about 3 yellow cards by the hour mark.

'Shire equalised after the City defence fell asleep then failed to react to a loose ball which was prodded home... Aside from shots straight at the keeper this was about their only chance of the game. (Indeed if SPFL website is to be believed Shots On Target: 6 / 0, Shots Off Target: 4 / 2. Not quite, clearly...).

Second half was a scrappy affair although Allum did have a one-on-one denied. Like everyone else in the stand - so it seemed - I didn't see what got a straight red for Mbu. Ref must have put too much water in his half-time Ribena - after a decent performance, his last 15mins left both sides bemused.

Based on the first half I think City will be disappointed not to have established a lead. Similarly I think 'Shire will be happy to start from scratch.

So it comes down to a winner-takes-all, result-on-the-day clash at Ochilview next week. Interesting tie in prospect. Also good crowd of 1,090 today.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're in a very small minority atleast. Gayfield is a very popular away day for the vast majority of fans.

Arbroath is a great away day until you get to Gayfield then asked to pay £13 to stand on crumbling terraces.

We were lucky that neither visit was hypothermia-inducing this season so that was a bonus.

Arbroath is a great away day until you get to Gayfield then asked to pay £13 to stand on crumbling terraces.

We were lucky that neither visit was hypothermia-inducing this season so that was a bonus.

Crumbling terraces...hardly,   southern softies moaning about the cold again

As for the game this thread is about :) not really fussed who wins but hope Shire survive if they do drop down

Crumbling terraces? Have a word.

Crumbling terraces? Have a word.

I suspect you must be the misguided individual who proclaimed near the start of the last season that Gayfield was the best stadium in the division.

No point in trying to talk to the deluded.

I suspect you must be the misguided individual who proclaimed near the start of the last season that Gayfield was the best stadium in the division.

No point in trying to talk to the deluded.

Far from the only one with that opinion, so might not have been me.

Cmon City Shire are a dead team walking, offered nowt to the SPFL for years time for a change

Yet they still managed to draw away to Edinburgh city. More evidence that both the lowland & highland leagues are full of overrated dross.

Yet they still managed to draw away to Edinburgh city. More evidence that both the lowland & highland leagues are full of overrated dross.

And they beat the two teams that are currently in the playoff final for a spot in league one. So?

East stirling beat annan, annan beat hamilton, therefore shire should be in premiership?

Archived