Scottish Greens

Wilky1878

Can the greens now be classed as a major party in scotland? Lib dems who were classed as more major than the greens in the lead up to the holyrood elections now have less seats so the only logical explanation should be that they are now a major party and lib dems a minor here.

The Greens did lack the prerequisite minimum number of seats to be treated as a Parliamentary "group" for the purposes of the Committees and Bureau. This time both they and the Lib Dems meet the threshold.

Not Major, but certainly an up & coming force. As far as influence in this parliament, I think it will be limited (unfortunately IMO).

Where the SNP vary greatly from the Green Party on single issues (fracking & airport tax duty for instance). I believe the abstainers (Lab) or the power hungry, swing in the wind(Libs) will carry SNP policy through.

I see this as a bad thing, as I'd rather the SNP were kept in check by a more left thinking & Indy friendly party- Greens.

Certainly can be seen as being on the level of the Lib Dems now, which is quite respectable. They'll play an important role in the next 5 years in holding the SNP to account at times, and also probably being the party to work alongside them most closely.

No, complete irrelevance whom will play no role at all in holding anyone to anything, the only possible influence they could have is to block a referendum.

Harvie has now stated he wouldn't block a second referendum if the SNP proposed one. And we know they only will when it's winnable.

Edited by Antlion

Is standing as a (virtually) list only Party a realistic long term option if they are truly looking to breakthrough to regularly get more than a handful of seats? Not suggesting they can regularly win constituency seats in the short term but the extra coverage and kudos it brings is important perhaps.

Is standing as a (virtually) list only Party a realistic long term option if they are truly looking to breakthrough to regularly get more than a handful of seats? Not suggesting they can regularly win constituency seats in the short term but the extra coverage and kudos it brings is important perhaps.

for a protest party in this system absolutely. To progress to something more absolutely not.

I think the Greens will have a decent sway at Holyrood, there's a definite affinity between the parties that's just not there with the other parties.

The greens won't block another referendum. They have 6 seats and thousands of new members PRECISELY because of the last referendum. It would be political suicide.

Absolutely true, the SNP won't propose unless they feel it's a foregone conclusion so why would Green's possibly block?

I know Robin Harper favoured a No vote, is being a Yesser a prerequisite now for candidates?

No, complete irrelevance whom will play no role at all in holding anyone to anything, the only possible influence they could have is to block a referendum.

Fuzzy, you are starting to do my head in. You're "they're wrong and should be ridiculed for it" type of posting is what's turning previous NO voters away from YES.

Your participation in other threads is cringeworthy, and does nothing positive for YES.