Stinlar v Super Ayr; Honest Men v Ferry Boys: Promotion bonanza

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched this on Alba. Terrible standard of football but delighted for Ian McCall, who gets overlooked in terms of the work he did in laying the foundations for McNamara and Archie.

Question for Ayr fans - has Stevo been that bad since he signed for you? He was certainly on the way down when he left us but I didn't imagine he would now look quite so finished.

Also, I can see McCall making a move for Paul Cairney in the summer (presuming he's out of contract?). He first signed him for us, and Cairney could easily still be a standout at Championship level as he was for us.

Can vaguely remember McCall being one of the most promising up and coming young managers in Scotland but seemed to fall away after doing decent work with the likes of Partick. Spent so long out of the game he was starting to wonder if he would ever get a job in football again.

Stevo has been pish. His legs are done. Despite the fact he has a good long range shot on him he can barely run. It was painful to watch him attempt to chase down any Stranraer defenders or the goalie. Wouldn't have him back next season but I've got a feeling he will return.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Cairney sign as I think he would make a pretty good partnership with Doc (if he stays).

It will be interesting to see what the SPFL do regarding pitch invasion and some goading of away fans.

Last time a team did that they were warned and told a hefty fine would be on the way, resulting in us spending a fortune on 2 billion stewards for last home game!

Of course since this game did not involve one of them and a humping into the bargain, nothing will be said or done. Nor should it be imho. Just typical double standards from Doncaster and co....

When we won this league last season the pitch was invaded right after the whistle went. It was all good natured with folk posing for photos etc. The Peterhead fans were completely ignored. Tannoy asked fans to leave the park so that the presentation could take place and they duly did without fuss. The only person jeered was Cockwomble when he brought the trophy on. Didn't hear anything about warnings or fines afterwards.

Can vaguely remember McCall being one of the most promising up and coming young managers in Scotland but seemed to fall away after doing decent work with the likes of Partick. Spent so long out of the game he was starting to wonder if he would ever get a job in football again.

Stevo has been pish. His legs are done. Despite the fact he has a good long range shot on him he can barely run. It was painful to watch him attempt to chase down any Stranraer defenders or the goalie. Wouldn't have him back next season but I've got a feeling he will return.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Cairney sign as I think he would make a pretty good partnership with Doc (if he stays).

If you get a stone or two off Cairney he would be a great signing. I would give Stevenson a chance pre-season, surely too young to be done.

Over the 2 legs, Stranraer were the better team, however the previous 36-38 games just about allows us to get away with it.

Some day, great crowd, shite game, some league next year. Will be interesting to see over the next few weeks who's staying/leaving and possible signings.

I would give Stevenson a chance pre-season, surely too young to be done.

He's either done or very unfit, either way he's had his day for us.

Stranraer were far better over the two games but Ayr finished 10 points ahead of us so fair dos. When you see the crowd yesterday Ayr should be in that league. For us a season long series of humpings in the championship would have been depressing but with signings made already we should have another decent season. Shite game but enjoyable day.

There's no doubt Stranraer retained the ball better, passed it better and looked more of a team. Serious questions must be asked why in both games when playing a team performing as badly as Ayr, I mean a fucking shambles why you couldn't beat us? The balloon d'or contender cairney should have dismantled us however it's surely apparent now that he is atrocious

Shame the standard of the performance from Ayr won't do much to encourage folk to come to games, but it really was a great crowd. It would be worth remembering that this was by far the biggest occasion in a lot of our players' careers and it should be no surprise that nerves got in the way of us being at our best. Was absolutely brilliant coming up the steps towards the Somerset Road End before the game and seeing a mass of people packed into the home end. Good support from Stranraer as well.

We may well struggle next year but this isn't the time to wory about that. Trips to Hibs and Dundee Utd next season instead of trips to Peterhead and Brechin are what we want.

Huge well done to Ayr , over the season you deserve your promotion and over the season we don't, if we can't beat such a poor Ayr over two legs then questions need to be asked . Apart from the game it is clear the gulf between the clubs and Ayr are far more suited to the championship than we are , still so so disappointed that we played so poorly yesterday I honestly feel it was a lack of belief from our team , Ayr were there for the taking yet we just looked happy to settle for 0-0 , taking off our main goal threat( who was having a decent game ) for a defender was a strange move , and playing an unfit Gibson( looked that way) was a gamble that didn't pay off.

And after getting to penalties well !!! Yes it can be a bit of a lottery but you have to strike the ball with conviction or keep it away from the keeper ......

Anyway , huge huge effort from all connected with the club from Chairman, committee ,manager ,players and fans what an amazing turn around from where we were at Christmas and we should be able to continue our progress into next season , good to see some players resigning early and hopefully some more decent signings to come as I feel Cairney will move up to the championship ( possibly with Ayr ) .

Just on a final note , our keeper !! Could so easily been sent off in the first half for violent conduct when for no reason he deliberately stamped on an Ayr player who was on the ground , not what I want to see from any Stranraer player and not the first time he has acted in an unacceptable way , decent keeper that I think will resign but he needs to remember we are a club that has higher standards than that ...

Just on a final note , our keeper !! Could so easily been sent off in the first half for violent conduct when for no reason he deliberately stamped on an Ayr player who was on the ground , not what I want to see from any Stranraer player and not the first time he has acted in an unacceptable way , decent keeper that I think will resign but he needs to remember we are a club that has higher standards than that ...

It was disgraceful. Very lucky that the officials didn't spot it. Completely unnecessary and could have cost his team the game at such an early stage had it been spotted.

I was with Michael Moffat last night, his contract runs out in 2 weeks and he hasn't been made an offer from Dunfermline. Stranraer have offered him a contract but he is desperate to sign with Ayr. I wouldn't want him back at Ayr though.

I was with Michael Moffat last night, his contract runs out in 2 weeks and he hasn't been made an offer from Dunfermline. Stranraer have offered him a contract but he is desperate to sign with Ayr. I wouldn't want him back at Ayr though.

Why not?

Dunfermline fans seem to think he's nowhere near good enough for the Championship. Plus after we stuck with him through the whole betting thing he jumped ship the second another club came calling. It's a no from me.

Would have him back any day. Even in the championship.

Dunfermline fans seem to think he's nowhere near good enough for the Championship. Plus after we stuck with him through the whole betting thing he jumped ship the second another club came calling. It's a no from me.

You can't blame him for wanting to sign for a bigger team.

I can accept thinking he isn't good enough, though I don't agree. Things haven't gone as well for him at Dunfermline as they did at Ayr (although he seems to have been playing a different role), but he's not in noticeably worse shape now than he was when he left and you don't just lose all that ability in the space of two years. We'd have had no qualms about taking him into the Championship had we been promoted two years ago and with the right system I don't see why he couldn't get back to that level.

Why wouldn't the club have stuck by him? All he got was a four game suspension - there was no rational argument for getting rid of any player under those circumstances. And from a pragmatic standpoint, the club would've been utterly mental to get rid of him given that he near enough single-handedly dragged Ayr into the playoffs. He owed the club absolutely nothing and it genuinely baffles me why people hold it against him for taking the chance to play full time football.

Archived