Stinlar v Super Ayr; Honest Men v Ferry Boys: Promotion bonanza

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was one of the worst games I've ever been to. The standard was appalling and I can't remember seeing a game with so few chances.

That said, it was still a good experience. Sommerset Park with a decent crowd in it is by far and away my favourite ground in Scotland. Tremendous turn out by the Ayr fans.

If Killie go down, I'll definitely try and make at least one Ayrshire Derby at Sommerset.

Delighted for Ian McCall. We've a lot to thank him for and it was looking as if he wouldn't get another management gig.

What a sorry excuse for a footballer Ryan Stevenson is. I genuinely thought he'd been taken off at half-time as he was completely anonymous for almost all of the second half. Some of his mates were standing next to me and even they were laughing at how bad he was.

I felt sorry for Jamie Longworth. He's a cracking player but he had a nightmare today. Cairney still looks like a class act on the ball, but woefully unfit.

A few observations -

Stranraer were the better team over the two legs.

It wasn't too bad a game apart from the "attempts" on goal.

How did Stranraer miss those two late chances?!

My first "in person " penalty shoot out was a bit of a damp squib.

Flemming is a hero.

Utter scenes at the end.

*Falkirk please send Killie down!!!!

Having seen Ayr earlier in the season against Dunfermline and being quite impressed that was an awful display today and it was just as well that Stranraer were equally as poor.

Ayr finished second so a deserved outcome.

I have seen some terrible penalty shoot outs in my time but the Stranraer penalties take some beating - to lose in that fashion on the back of some truly embarassing efforts must be a terrible anti climax for the supporters.

Great crowd though - didnt see that coming and a decent Stranraer support as well.

finished 2nd by default Peterhead hibsed it

Yes some ayr fans came over to us for a fight. One clown jumped on wall in front of us. He got dealt with in the correct manner.

It was the same when they won play-offs at the Glebe. Instead of celebrating promotion amongst themselves and the players, a fair number decided to come and goad our support at the opposite end of the park. Nothing a few coins didn't sort out. Always going to get clowns like that in big games unfortunately.

We deserved that for our results over the season but Stranraer deserved it over the two play off legs. Respect to Graham for hitting a penalty as not normally the most comfortable with ball at feet. Considering the amount at stake I thought McCall picked a shocking starting team today and the large crowd that turned up deserved better. Sad to see Stevenston reduced to winning the odd ball in the air and the occasional sideways pass. Well done to McCall for turning it round and bringing some pride back to the team.

Well done Ayr. Interesting to hear your chairman and then mccall speak about going full-time. mccall didn't sound up for it at all saying it isn't the right move for the club and they could be a club who pays very good pt wages rather than a club paying low ft wages. Makes sense imo.

they could do with spending some money on their stadium, a piece of wood fell down from upper level of stand, thankfully no one was standing under it at the time

they could do with spending some money on their stadium, a piece of wood fell down from upper level of stand, thankfully no one was standing under it at the time

I'm an Ayr fan and I admit its a shithole. There has been a decomposing bird in the netting of the main stand since July/Aug. Rank rotten

Just as I thought Ayr were no better than Wednesday night but scraped through the lottery of the penalty kicks.I think Cammy Belford had one save to make today probably about the same as Wednesday.My prediction of Paul Cairney running the show was spot on but McCall realised this in the second half and put Farmer Adams in mid to man mark him didn't make much difference PC still sprayed passes all over the park.The blues were better over the 2 legs but that's fitba for you.I think on this showing Ayr have some work to do to stay in the Championship,and talking to an Ayr fan after the game he says the Chairman won't spend much money,he'll need to.But congrats to Ayr they managed it,will they do better than last season's playoff winners Alloa,I really don't know.

I'm an Ayr fan and I admit its a shithole.

Then you're a numpty. Somerset is a cracking wee ground, and absolutely miles better than some of the prefab lego ones that have been built in the last 10-15 years.

Not long home and my missus giving me serious grief about my red face. That was hot out there in the terrace.

Woeful game but who cares?

What has wee Forrest done to upset McCall? I was surprised to see stevo start, and fucking amazed to see him come out for the second half. I've been critical about Forrest in the last couple of years but he has that ability to turn a game. He'd have run tired legs into the ground.

finished 2nd by default Peterhead hibsed it

You don't half have some chip on your shoulder when it comes to Ayr. Ayr finished second by virtue of having more points than Peterhead and then comfortably disposed of them.

Hope the bumpkins enjoyed their trip to the big city today. You definitely shaded it over two legs but it would be a travesty to get promoted after finishing 4th in a league of 10.

Took this in today alongside Cardinal R who I owe an apology to for being hungover and terrible chat. Thought the first half was reasonable enough with some nice football by Andy Stirling in particular and Stranraer dominating possession, and expected there to be far more chances from both sides in the second half. From then on the game seemed to get progressively worse and worse, possibly not helped by both teams seemingly under the impression that the half towards the Railway End was the only available playing space. It dragged on and on. A little bit brighter in extra time with each team having a chance of sorts, but in the end settled by some terrible Stranraer penalties. Lovely day for football ruined a bit by the football itself, but congratulations to Ayr. Interested to see how both teams get on in their respective leagues next season, especially if Killie end up going down. 

ETA: Completely forgot about my personal highlight of the day, in which an overweight man in what seemed to be his late 30s-early-40s, attempt to scale and climb over the fence between home and away supporters on the North Terrace, successfully wound up by half a dozen Stranraer supporters no older than 15. Got up around halfway, slipped, and fell. Minter.

Also, thought the pie I had was reasonably decent. 

Hard one to take. Ayr obviously better over the season. Well done and best wishes for next season.

Our play off nightmare continues. Only way we're going up is winning the league.

Some really uninspiring trips await next season.

Very sore one to take. Lost the game in the first leg in hindsight. Terribly tense and nervous match today with 0-0 written all over it from early on. Still don't think Gibson was fit and never quite happened for Stirling today. Still should have went up over the 2 ties but such is football. Not going to be critical of any players, 3 seasons now we've been superb and just not had the run of the green in big matches. Great effort from a small club. Honestly believe well win the league next term with the players well have. Certainly well need to avoid the playoffs (0-7). Stand proud.

Archived