Big league winners.

Well given that I've been mainly discussing Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs, I'd have thought you'd be able to figure it out for yourself.

No you haven't.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seen that was the case for the tickets for the Celtic game at the weekend. It's good that they have this in place. For cup finals though I'd be setting the minimum points criteria to be eligible for a cup final ticket to a certain amount for fans who have been to say 40-50% of home games games roughly. Anyone who hasn't gained enough points for that criteria would be given the opportunity to purchase tickets if they bought a 3 match package for Aberdeen's home games.

If they don't want to buy them then I'd hand them back to the opposition club to sell. Unless of course they don't have a large support (Celtic/Rangers) and I'd then open it up to any Aberdeen fan wanting a ticket can get one. I'd def be getting them signed up to a registration scheme though if that was the case and bombarding them with e-mails and promoting ticket sales for home games.

So what you are basically saying is that a club like Aberdeen or Hearts should be given a maximum of 12,000-16,000 tickets for a cup final. Let's take a club with a smaller stadium like Ross County for example. You have to buy a 3 match package to get a cup final ticket, Victoria Park only holds 6,500. How would you accommodate 20,000 people buying a 3 match package over the season. If the 40,000 reds who turned up at Parkhead all bought a 3-match package then how are we fitting them all in. Do you get to choose your matches or are they allocated, does it depend on when you can get a flight from London, Sydney, New York etc.

Aberdeen have my e-mail address as I'm in their database, I get e-mails every other day from them.

Would the same criteria apply to rangers and Celtic. Like you have to have been a season ticket holder for 10-15 years to get a ticket for an old firm cup final.

This whole debate is absolute fucking nonsense and you know it.

Eta. The starting point for any game at a neutral venue should be 50/50 and then work it from there. If one club can't sell it's tickets and the other demands more then fine.

So what you are basically saying is that a club like Aberdeen or Hearts should be given a maximum of 12,000-16,000 tickets for a cup final. Let's take a club with a smaller stadium like Ross County for example. You have to buy a 3 match package to get a cup final ticket, Victoria Park only holds 6,500. How would you accommodate 20,000 people buying a 3 match package over the season. If the 40,000 reds who turned up at Parkhead all bought a 3-match package then how are we fitting them all in. Do you get to choose your matches or are they allocated, does it depend on when you can get a flight from London, Sydney, New York etc.

You select 3 matches. If they sell out then you move on to the next 3 matches and so on.

Aberdeen have my e-mail address as I'm in their database, I get e-mails every other day from them.

Would the same criteria apply to rangers and Celtic. Like you have to have been a season ticket holder for 10-15 years to get a ticket for an old firm cup final.

It already does given that we have to be balloted for these games. Only ST holders can apply for cup final tickets so straight away you must have a ST. For the semi-final if you were registered to the Home Cup Ticket scheme then you were guaranteed a ticket. Also if you had been to a certain number of away tickets then you were given a ticket also. Those who go watch their team the most were rewarded. I don't see why this logic can't be applied to finals. If I go watch my team at every home league game & European & cup games as well as the odd away game as I do, why then should I miss out on a cup final while a fan in the other end is at their first game watching that side in 2-3yrs or more?

This whole debate is absolute fucking nonsense and you know it.

I

Eta. The starting point for any game at a neutral venue should be 50/50 and then work it from there. If one club can't sell it's tickets and the other demands more then fine.

It's not. You disagree because it wouldn't suit your club. I'm sure if your club had to play against say Montrose at say St Mirren Park, I'm sure you wouldn't be happy with them getting 4,000 tickets, the same as yourselves!

You select 3 matches. If they sell out then you move on to the next 3 matches and so on.

It already does given that we have to be balloted for these games. Only ST holders can apply for cup final tickets so straight away you must have a ST. For the semi-final if you were registered to the Home Cup Ticket scheme then you were guaranteed a ticket. Also if you had been to a certain number of away tickets then you were given a ticket also. Those who go watch their team the most were rewarded. I don't see why this logic can't be applied to finals. If I go watch my team at every home league game & European & cup games as well as the odd away game as I do, why then should I miss out on a cup final while a fan in the other end is at their first game watching that side in 2-3yrs or more?

It's not. You disagree because it wouldn't suit your club. I'm sure if your club had to play against say Montrose at say St Mirren Park, I'm sure you wouldn't be happy with them getting 4,000 tickets, the same as yourselves!

If Montrose could sell the 4,000 tickets then fine. What you are basically saying is that the old firm should be guaranteed more tickets than anyone else for a cup final. Just yet another example of the value of self entitlement that comes from following one of these horrid vile clubs.

If Montrose could sell the 4,000 tickets then fine. What you are basically saying is that the old firm should be guaranteed more tickets than anyone else for a cup final. Just yet another example of the value of self entitlement that comes from following one of these horrid vile clubs.

He's not saying that the Old Firm should just get more tickets for the sake of it. You don't like his argument because it doesn't suit your glory hunting fan base.

If Celtic and Rangers are getting 40k every week for league matches and Hibs or Aberdeen are getting 10k - 14k every week when their stadiums hold 20k+ then why should they be given 25k just because its a cup final?! It is extremely frustrating for guys who have been to every home game at Celtic Park who have to be balloted for a cup final ticket so that a team can double its support all of a sudden. Where are these fans every week?

I also see some comments above going on about Seville or when Rangers return. We filled our stadium every league game back in 2003 (60k) and took 80k to Seville. I really don't see how that equates to a team who can go from 10k to 40k overnight. Same with the Rangers games next season, we will have games where the crowd is 30k - 40k and then it will be 60k for Rangers. Why is that any different to Aberdeen pulling in 10k for some league games, yet when Celtic roll into town, they get 19k/20k?

He's not saying that the Old Firm should just get more tickets for the sake of it. You don't like his argument because it doesn't suit your glory hunting fan base.

If Celtic and Rangers are getting 40k every week for league matches and Hibs or Aberdeen are getting 10k - 14k every week when their stadiums hold 20k+ then why should they be given 25k just because its a cup final?! It is extremely frustrating for guys who have been to every home game at Celtic Park who have to be balloted for a cup final ticket so that a team can double its support all of a sudden. Where are these fans every week?

I also see some comments above going on about Seville or when Rangers return. We filled our stadium every league game back in 2003 (60k) and took 80k to Seville. I really don't see how that equates to a team who can go from 10k to 40k overnight. Same with the Rangers games next season, we will have games where the crowd is 30k - 40k and then it will be 60k for Rangers. Why is that any different to Aberdeen pulling in 10k for some league games, yet when Celtic roll into town, they get 19k/20k?

A cup final should always be 50/50 split if both teams have the demand for it, always.  I don't care if its you, Rangers, Aberdeen, Stranraer or whoever.

You don't have the same sense of entitlement to a ticket to away games just because you attend CP every other week so why should it be any different for a cup final?  Cup finals are meant to be at a neutral venue with neutral ticket allocations.  If one team can't sell out their 50% of the ground then by all means increase the oppositions share.

OK we drew in some glory hunters for our cup final (as does every team out there) but that also gives the club the opportunity to grow its core fanbase should the day be a success, some of those glory hunters may just start to come back on a regular basis.

Just to add to that, I don't have any issue with a 50/50 split at all, but I can certainly understand the frustration it causes amongst Old Firm supporters.

The thing I don't get is why a Club like Aberdeen can't attract 20,000 fans every week but can have 40,000 turn up for a Cup Final. Aberdeen is a one team City in a decent sized City at that, 3rd/4th biggest club in the Country, amazing history etc. Aberdeen fans talk about that league cup final crowd with pride, id be raging at that if I was an Aberdeen fan, wondering why the hell can we not get 20,000 every week.

I will try not sound too arrogant here, but it really isn't that big a deal for Celtic if we don't fill our stadium, we have the biggest budget by far and the best players so it makes no real difference to us in the league. The money and more importantly the atmosphere it would bring to a club like Aberdeen if they were to fill their ground would have a hugely more material impact and might just get them to a position where they could win the league. There is no excuse for having attendances of 10,000 for some games

Just to add to that, I don't have any issue with a 50/50 split at all, but I can certainly understand the frustration it causes amongst Old Firm supporters.

The thing I don't get is why a Club like Aberdeen can't attract 20,000 fans every week but can have 40,000 turn up for a Cup Final. Aberdeen is a one team City in a decent sized City at that, 3rd/4th biggest club in the Country, amazing history etc. Aberdeen fans talk about that league cup final crowd with pride, id be raging at that if I was an Aberdeen fan, wondering why the hell can we not get 20,000 every week.

I will try not sound too arrogant here, but it really isn't that big a deal for Celtic if we don't fill our stadium, we have the biggest budget by far and the best players so it makes no real difference to us in the league. The money and more importantly the atmosphere it would bring to a club like Aberdeen if they were to fill their ground would have a hugely more material impact and might just get them to a position where they could win the league. There is no excuse for having attendances of 10,000 for some games

For a start our average home attendance is 14k but that may be splitting hairs.

Your argument is one that gets trotted out all too often.  Name me one club in the UK that's attendances don't increase for cup finals or in your case matches against your best mates?  It's all well and good saying it doesn't make that much difference to Celtic's budget but the simple fact that is a very common, very simple social trend that cup finals/big games attract bigger crowds than run of the mill league games.  What is difficult about that?

If Celtic and Rangers are getting 40k every week for league matches and Hibs or Aberdeen are getting 10k - 14k every week when their stadiums hold 20k+ then why should they be given 25k just because its a cup final?!

Erm, you're getting 40K every week precisely because your support is largely composed of glory hunters :lol:

For a start our average home attendance is 14k but that may be splitting hairs.

Your argument is one that gets trotted out all too often.  Name me one club in the UK that's attendances don't increase for cup finals or in your case matches against your best mates?  It's all well and good saying it doesn't make that much difference to Celtic's budget but the simple fact that is a very common, very simple social trend that cup finals/big games attract bigger crowds than run of the mill league games.  What is difficult about that?

I know its 14k but there are games when only 10k turn up.

Its not hard to understand at all, I expect teams to attract bigger crowds for bigger games and that's fine, that's the nature of football and we all deal with that. What I don't get is that fans on here, Aberdeen especially, like to come on and remind us Celtic fans that we are filling half our stadium, that we are glory hunters, only want to see our "best mates" when they are the worst team in Scotland for doing exactly that....i.e. fill half their stadium for some games, attract 3x their average support for a cup final, fill their stadium for Celtic, Rangers and European games. Why come on here and slag fans of our club when your own club are guilty of the exact same thing?

AFC are growing their core fan base, season ticket sales have been steadily increasing for the past few seasons. We've never had a giant support though, even in the glory days Pittodrie wasn't selling out every week. You have to remember that the team has been utter guff since about the mid 90's, almost an entire generation has been lost to supporting the club. Take my old man for example, went every week for probably 20 years but then in the mid 90's he stopped going, has probably been to Pittodrie three or four times in the last 20 years, he was one of the ones who went to the Cup final, should he have been entitled to a ticket, yes, why not??

Following Aberdeen in the early 2000's was bloody hard work and I'm not surprised that many people chose not to do it. When the bigot brothers were at the peak of their powers, regularly both getting close to 100 points and scoring over 100 goals in a 38 games season there really wasn't much enjoyment for the rest of us. Watching Celtic and Rangers turning up and spanking 6 or 7 past teams away from home every week for 4 or 5 seasons turned a hell of a lot of folk away from going to games in my opinion. If that duopoly returns in the next 3 to 4 years then expect the same to happen, attendances elsewhere will drop off again.

If Celtic or Rangers were to get to a European Final again (no sniggering please) and they were to play say Barcelona in the final, should Barca get 2/3 of the tickets because they have higher attendances than Celtic or Rangers ??

I know its 14k but there are games when only 10k turn up.

Its not hard to understand at all, I expect teams to attract bigger crowds for bigger games and that's fine, that's the nature of football and we all deal with that. What I don't get is that fans on here, Aberdeen especially, like to come on and remind us Celtic fans that we are filling half our stadium, that we are glory hunters, only want to see our "best mates" when they are the worst team in Scotland for doing exactly that....i.e. fill half their stadium for some games, attract 3x their average support for a cup final, fill their stadium for Celtic, Rangers and European games. Why come on here and slag fans of our club when your own club are guilty of the exact same thing?

worst team in Scotland  :lol:

I'm not debating with you if you're just going to talk shite

That makes no sense whatsoever!!

You're moaning about Gloryhunters only going to cup finals to support other clubs but the only reason you get the support you do is because of gloryhunters going to your stadium for league games. Perfect sense.

AFC are growing their core fan base, season ticket sales have been steadily increasing for the past few seasons. We've never had a giant support though, even in the glory days Pittodrie wasn't selling out every week. You have to remember that the team has been utter guff since about the mid 90's, almost an entire generation has been lost to supporting the club. Take my old man for example, went every week for probably 20 years but then in the mid 90's he stopped going, has probably been to Pittodrie three or four times in the last 20 years, he was one of the ones who went to the Cup final, should he have been entitled to a ticket, yes, why not??

Following Aberdeen in the early 2000's was bloody hard work and I'm not surprised that many people chose not to do it. When the bigot brothers were at the peak of their powers, regularly both getting close to 100 points and scoring over 100 goals in a 38 games season there really wasn't much enjoyment for the rest of us. Watching Celtic and Rangers turning up and spanking 6 or 7 past teams away from home every week for 4 or 5 seasons turned a hell of a lot of folk away from going to games in my opinion. If that duopoly returns in the next 3 to 4 years then expect the same to happen, attendances elsewhere will drop off again.

If Celtic or Rangers were to get to a European Final again (no sniggering please) and they were to play say Barcelona in the final, should Barca get 2/3 of the tickets because they have higher attendances than Celtic or Rangers ??

As I said above, I have no issue with a 50/50 split but can understand the annoyance. Having higher attendances isn't the problem here. The problem some people have is that teams are averaging 6k and then get 25k for a cup final and are theoretically finding 19,000 new fans out of thin air who don't seem to want to watch "their team" any other time. If Celtic played Barca in a 70,000 stadium then in theory we would get 35,000 tickets which would still mean 5,000 of our average gate missing out.

Archived