If we took Eurovision seriously

lionel hutz

A Song For Scotland  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The U.K. Will never win. Elton John could sing his best ever number and we would still finish bottom half. It's all politics. If you think we have any chance of wining including the folk performing for us then you're deluded

In all seriousness, Amy MacDonald would win it no bother. A landslide.

Yes. She probably would.

But would she want to do it? I'm no sure.

Then again she's done the 8-11am show on Clyde 1/TayFM on a Sunday Morning for no reason.

The Proclaimers would be our first choice and we'd easily double England's effort before failing to qualify for another five years.

Quite why the Proclaimers in their relevant pomp were never chosen, I have no idea.  Possibly too stereotypically Scottish-twee for the wider UK audience.  Still, they could have been contenders.

Quite why the Proclaimers in their relevant pomp were never chosen, I have no idea.  Possibly too stereotypically Scottish-twee for the wider UK audience.  Still, they could have been contenders.

We're trying to be nice to the rest of Europe. Plus it's a separate Scottish entry not a UK entry.

This techno tune is perfect for Europe:

Let's face it - the song for Scotland would probably be something like Shang-a-Lang by the Bay City Rollers

Somewhat naff, somewhat annoying - full of silly lyrics - with people bouncing about in a somewhat manic way

Sounds like a Eurovision song to me.

(.. and they wearing silly costumes with tartan on them - which I am told is somewhat Scottish)

The U.K. Will never win. Elton John could sing his best ever number and we would still finish bottom half. It's all politics. If you think we have any chance of wining including the folk performing for us then you're deluded

This is actually nonsense considering the changes to the voting structure that were initially enacted after 2009. The problem with the UK is often that it's not about big names or big acts, but a song that tends to tap into various national/cultural music tastes; and that's just the first part of it. Now that the contest is truly a visual spectacle, the BBC have failed to keep up with it - The UK had a good draw late on in the competition, and a song that wasn't the worst (this also applies to Molly in 2014), but the staging was an utter catastrophe and likely cost votes. 

Archived