CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

22 minutes ago, Sao Paulo said:

I follow you on playing players out of position. Or reinvention, as Barry no doubt sees it; it has been a horrible habit of recent Clyde managers, all of whom have in common a lack of tangible success with the club. I can't follow you when you lay into Easton, mind. There is no show-boating in his game. There is bad decision making, yes. Plenty of it. But he wouldn't be a Clyde player otherwise.

The most profound injury we could've sustained is the one we just have: losing Easton for the season. He was our fulcrum. He is outstandingly the best player we have and without him, things being as they are, we'll do well to hold a play-off spot. With him, we might just have managed it. Albeit no more comfortably than last season.

There are a lot easy things one can say about how the team might benefit from Easton's loss. All those things will be rubbish, of course. To my memory, I was the first poster on this board to write with concern about Easton cramping Flynn's style; it was blatant from their very first game together. However, even if Flynn does come into his own, he isn't Easton and willing him to be won't make it so.

The sensible, hard-headed reaction to this injury is to abandon masochism. Get players playing in their strongest positions. That means having a proper left-back. And that has to be Scott Linton, I'm sorry to say. Whatever the price paid in midfield is - a heavy one. It means getting a proper right-back too. And that'll have to be McNeil or Oliver. Proper centre-halves (Smith, McNiff or Perry). McLaughlin and Flynn will have to run the engine room themselves. I don't see how. But it was a midfield lacking real ball-winning clout even with Easton. It'll be important that Phil Johnston, now a really important player, has an advanced role and isn't told he's a defender. He should be wide right where he belongs, being a permanent menace with his pace. And then I suppose we've just got to hope that Scott Ferguson's speed and fitness returns pronto; he and Johnston could go some way to compensating for the ball-carrying which Easton would do were he available. The return of JP McGovern can't come quick enough, of course. And god help us if Peter MacDonald gets injured...

The silly, ideological, hell-bent reaction to this injury is to say things like "I don't see why everyone is being so negative", and to bleat on about our home form: three wins from three. All of which came against teams who either performed abysmally or who look now to be set to prop up the top half of the table. And in which games, by the way, we conceded a total of six goals. Elgin have the best defensive record in the league. Only Edinburgh City and Cowden best ours as a bad one. Admittedly, only Forfar best our goals, but that was Clyde plus Dylan Easton; nine assists and two goals in all competitions this season from the wee man.

Loanees, free-agents... We need cover ASAP if we're to put this season back on the rails.

You really are full of shit, away back to champ manager 93 and spout your pish there.

3 minutes ago, Mon Da Clyde said:

You really are full of shit, away back to champ manager 93 and spout your pish there.

Me and you will get a pint before Elgin. C'mon. We can talk Champ' Man', FM... Pro' Ev'. All those good things. And you can tear lumps out of me in person.

I'm just sick of the constant bickering amongst the fans. When we win there's and argument, when we loose there's and argument fs

It's just the Clyde way :)

It's social media as well it encourages people to write things they would say to someone's face
Really don't take it too seriously

Easton huge miss and the type of guy who can make difference to winning the league and being in play offs
The season isn't over but to lose him and Lowden is a huge blow in terms of skill and Match winning ability
We do have a small squad still a good one but injuries and suspensions could really hurt sure at some point we will bring in another player or two but we really can't afford to lose any of the first team squad

Sorry to hear about Easton. Never good hearing a guy getting injured as bad as that playing the game we all love. Especially at part time, you never know if they'll ever make it back the same player without the resources FT players have.

Biggest compliment I can give him, and this is meant in the best way possible, is that Clyde on everybody's fixture list will look like a much more appealing proposition now. Speaks volumes of the guys talent.

Truth is the last week has seen two season ending injuries. I defy any team in this division to be able to cope with losing two first team players. Lowden is a big miss, but Easton is massive. Would Peterhead have got promoted without McAllister or East Fife without Austin? It can be argued that we have a less effective creative player in Flynn ready to step in, yet a more productive in terms of goals.

My opinion, is that we've started well, but to some not good enough, we're averaging over 2 and a half goals, but need a 20 goals a season striker.

Some will never be of the opinion that BF has what it takes, and will be first on here to tell us they told us so.

Now more than ever, and given what has happened to the previous league winners, we need to be there or thereabouts come January, to improve the squad, and somehow replace the undoubted quality we have lost this week.

I do agree about Flynn, I think he is a really good player, he is the first we have had since Bryson who can make runs from deep (Not saying he is at Bryson's level). But if you watch him he is always making himself available and is in the box in virtually every goal we have scored this year.

Agreed-i have a feeling we will now see the best of Flynn. Also agree with Gunther that it would be a terrific gesture to offer Easton a contract extension. It has been good to read the comments from the Clyde manager about Clyde giving all the support they can to assist Lowdon and Easton in their recuperation.

I thought Ferguson looked well off the pace when he came on on Saturday. That is understandable after the injury and long lay off. I don't think people should be putting too much pressure on him to perform too quickly. He'll need many games to get back to his best.
I would push Johnston forward into midfield, put McNeil at full back and bring Ferguson on later in games until he's fully fit.

20 hours ago, bullyweehutch said:

I'm just sick of the constant bickering amongst the fans. When we win there's and argument, when we loose there's and argument fs

no worrys pal clyde will win the legue easy this year barry has a good squad think well win by 10 points easy

First of all, I'm absolutely devastated about the injury to Dylan, he's a lovely young lad with his feet to the ground after a few years of fannying around and the niggly injuries, the boy has worked hard to get where he is and after a successful season with us, would have worked his way up the leagues to a level he should be playing at. I hope like Scott Ferguson, we offer Dylan an extra year on his contract and support the boy in his recovery. 

In terms of this season, we can't be written off! I think some of the comments have been unfair to the rest of the team. A lot of people have mentioned the ineffectiveness of Flynn, he plays in the same position as Easton, but because Easton was given that role, Flynn was playing to the right of the midfield diamond. With wee Shagger back, stick him on the right and put Flynn at the top of the diamond where his preferred position is and we'll no doubt see the Flynn we seen at Annan last year, the Flynn who scored 14 goals from that position last year. Goals win games, Easton had this high assists, Flynn will make up for that in Goals.

ETA. I said at the time of Marsh's departure how disappointed I was that he didn't stay to fight for his place, I said all it took was for one or two injuries and he's back in...

So Easton the best player we have had in years has stifled Matt Flynn and basically what you are saying at the end of the post is we will score more goals with Flynn in the position than Easton
There isn't one player at the club could lace Easton's boots

through the work have had Kilmarnock and celtic in they both raved about Easton and Lowden
Yet clyde fans now class him as a showboater who inhibits other players

Hope your right about Flynn I haven't written the team off did Annan make the play offs ?