Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 hours ago, well fan for life said:

There's no difference between that challenge, McHugh's, Kiernan's or McDonalds. All got the ball first then followed through onto the man. There can't be a middle ground, it's either every one a booking, or every one a red. 

Absolutely. Straight leg, lunges in etc. Referee has a clear, unobstructed view. If you add Larnell Cole trying to kick Lucas' legs off to the pile then you've got a situation where the only variable is the ref in charge which essentially underlines Motherwell's point in that statement with regards inconsistencies.

5 similar incidents (I'm sure they could dig out more if they wanted) yet only 2 were viewed as red cards, 3 were yellows.

fXgU1o.gif

Edit: you could add Lucas flying into a tackle in the 2nd half of the 0-0 against Killie to the list of those that were only given as yellows too (I can't find any footage of it though). Either way you've got 6 similar incidents where 2 were given as reds, 4 given as yellows, so despite the small sample the majority seem to have been viewed as yellow card offences. If, as seems to be the case, it's being accepted that McHugh & McDonald's were indeed red cards then that's 4 other incidents, from an admittedly small sample, that referees have got wrong. 

And another from the Hibs v Ayr game at the weekend. Lunges in, completely takes the boy out, both feet off the ground, nowhere near the ball...yellow card.

OzIuoS.gif

Edited by capt_oats

These things are just down to the ref's opinion so there's never going to be any consistency. It's annoying as it's cost us lately but it's just what happens in football. As shown in the match thread there was a huge difference in opinioin between people who thought it was a red and those who didn't, it'll be much the same with refs.

These things are just down to the ref's opinion so there's never going to be any consistency. It's annoying as it's cost us lately but it's just what happens in football. As shown in the match thread there was a huge difference in opinioin between people who thought it was a red and those who didn't, it'll be much the same with refs.

Tbh, if that wee sample shows anything then it's that there is a degree of consistency there in so much as the majority were viewed as yellow card offences. In fact if you were to include Pearson absolutely bodying that Hearts player, that one didn't even warrant him being spoken to.

If anything it seems like the two red cards have been the exceptions rather than the rule. Unfortunately it just seems a case of "unlucks lads" when it comes to any sort of appeal since there's no real context comes into play.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Caley Thistle have been lined with Louis Laing, ex of Motherwell.

Thoughts on him Well fans?

Could do a job, IMO.

He was nothing more than decent.  The fact that the only manager in about the last six years to have taken to him and played him regularly was Ian Baraclough, speaks volumes. 

He never recovered from the East Fife debacle, but all the best to him if he ends up at Inverness.  As I said on another thread, I like Richie Foran and hope he can recover and do well up there. 

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Absolutely. Straight leg, lunges in etc. Referee has a clear, unobstructed view. If you add Larnell Cole trying to kick Lucas' legs off to the pile then you've got a situation where the only variable is the ref in charge which essentially underlines Motherwell's point in that statement with regards inconsistencies.

5 similar incidents (I'm sure they could dig out more if they wanted) yet only 2 were viewed as red cards, 3 were yellows.

fXgU1o.gif

Edit: you could add Lucas flying into a tackle in the 2nd half of the 0-0 against Killie to the list of those that were only given as yellows too (I can't find any footage of it though). Either way you've got 6 similar incidents where 2 were given as reds, 4 given as yellows, so despite the small sample the majority seem to have been viewed as yellow card offences. If, as seems to be the case, it's being accepted that McHugh & McDonald's were indeed red cards then that's 4 other incidents, from an admittedly small sample, that referees have got wrong. 

And another from the Hibs v Ayr game at the weekend. Lunges in, completely takes the boy out, both feet off the ground, nowhere near the ball...yellow card.

OzIuoS.gif

Opening it up to the wider world of football, this from Rodwell was deemed to be only a booking:

Caley Thistle have been lined with Louis Laing, ex of Motherwell. 

Thoughts on him Well fans?

As Tamdunk says he got utterly roasted by Nathan Austin in that cup game against East Fife. It pretty much finished his career here. He only started one game between that and McGhee's first game in charge against Celtic where he tried him as a DM. Both Baraclough and Craigan benched him and he struggled to get back into the side under McGhee. By all accounts his recent loan stint at Notts County was a disaster, though there was more to that than just Laing not being very good.

McGhee seemed utterly convinced that Laing was never a centre half, this interview from the other week is quite revealing. http://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/sport/football/motherwell-fc/louis-laing-s-away-to-forge-a-career-in-midfield-1-4356450

For what it's worth I quite liked Laing, or at least the idea of him. He's a got the physique, he's comfortable on the ball and can carry it out from the back. He's more a covering centre half than a dominating stopper. He got a bit of a run at right back towards the tail end of last season and put in a couple of decent performances there but with his contract up at the end of this season and us having the likes of Heneghan, Ferguson along with McMillan, Kennedy and Watt all capable of playing the right sided centre half role the writing was pretty much on the wall for Laing. He had a very decent reputation coming through at Sunderland and Notts Forest but definitely never came close to fulfilling that potential at Motherwell.

Who knows, there may we'll be a player there if he can get games and has a manager who'll show a bit of faith and belief in him.

12 hours ago, Tamdunk said:

I could pretty much go along with this line of argument if it wasn't for one thing.  You don't get consistency in the same match with the same referee.

Kiernan - yellow.  McDonald - red. 

As it stands you almost can't make a tackle now because even if you win the ball and there is no intent to injury you can still be sent off on the whim of the referee.

5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I could pretty much go along with this line of argument if it wasn't for one thing.  You don't get consistency in the same match with the same referee.

Kiernan - yellow.  McDonald - red. 

As it stands you almost can't make a tackle now because even if you win the ball and there is no intent to injury you can still be sent off on the whim of the referee.

Aye but that was against a ten man rangers , Gollum was always going to be desperate to 'even things up' and is a special case. We've just had bad luck lately, hopefully refs will take a look at it and make a conscious effort to stop utterly shafting us. Its the caley thistle tackle on Lucas that annoys me as being a yellow, cos it was easily as bad as all the reds we've had lately.

Interesting initiative from Les Hutchison/The Well Society announced earlier with Les matching funds raised in 2017 up to £500k.

Reading through the spiel I'll bump my DD up off the back of it and, to be fair, the fact that Alan Burrows seems to be a pretty safe pair of hands as far as the running of the club goes with us having made some decent cash off the Johnson sale and not rolling over with bids that have come in for Moult, McDonald et al.

http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/02/10/doubleyourmoney/