Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 minutes ago, SCDave said:

Marvin Johnson to Leicester for £2m being reported.. would apparently make us in the region of £500k. 

Taking his total fee to somewhere in the region of 1m then? Not a bad return like for our 30k odd investment.

Obviously pennies mind compared to what we'll make when the Dom Thomas millions start rolling in but decent money none the less.

39 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'm getting the feeling that Moult is gone regardless of what we do - he's decided (and fair enough) that he needs to take a step up. Whatever we see getting through to the player budget from that £500k would be helpful in replacing the qualities of Moult and McDonald as that is still the most difficult task of the summer IMO.

Presumably a % of that £500k (and every other fee we bring in) will be going to pay off Boyle and Hutchison based on the arrangement announced when the Well Society took ownership. Obviously making money is good for everyone involved so more of that please.

Agree on Moult he was sold the club on the pitch that we'd give him a platform and if he scored goals then everyone could make money out of the arrangement. I do get the feeling that he's possibly a bit more discerning about where he sees himself going though. The only real issue seems to be that there seems to be a reluctance to take a chance on him in the market we're trying to punt him to, for whatever reason. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if there were some mentions of sides that we've done previous business with like Derby, Sheffield United, Birmingham or even Oxford showing interest.

Hello friends, We have just signed David Ferguson formally of the Well'

Tell me his hopes and dreams. Xx

Was absolutely roasted by Jordan Jones and hooked before half time in his last appearance for us, which bodes well for Ayr against Killie. I reckon he was pretty clearly out of his depth at our level but has the potential to be a fairly solid defender somewhere else, hopefully he does well. Some of the guys who watch the u20s will know more.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Was absolutely roasted by Jordan Jones and was hooked before half time in his last appearance for us, which bodes well for Ayr against Killie. I reckon he was pretty clearly out of his depth at our level but has the potential to be a pretty solid defender somewhere, hopefully he does well. Some of the guys who watch the u20s will know more.

What position is he? 

1 hour ago, Al B said:

On Charalambous, I remember his signing-on publicity photo looked like it was taken sitting at a table in Burger King or something :lol:

AngelisCharalambousI10062010.jpg

Holy fuckin f**k. Read his t-shirt.

Edited by SCDave

2 hours ago, Andy_AUFC said:

Hello friends,

We have just signed David Ferguson formally of the Well'

Tell me his hopes and dreams. Xx

As Yassin says he was absolutely roasted by Jones when he played at right back and he struggled against St Johnstone in the 2-1 defeat. Having said that he was a standout in our Youth Cup final and generally speaking he always looked comfortable at centre half in the u20s side, he seemed to get chucked in to the first team as a stop gap to fill whatever spot needed a body, more often than not full back.

Based on his u20s performances he's comfortable on the ball, has a bit of pace and generally seems like a reasonably rounded player it was just unlikely that he'd ever be likely to nail down a first team spot with us. He could probably use a bit of work in terms of the physical and defensive side of the game but I'd think regular first team football would help with that. I'd have thought he'd be fine in League 1.

8 minutes ago, Swello said:

So I assume the lad Dembele enjoyed his 5 star pre-season jaunt to Ireland and some games to get his fitness up and has now headed home and we'll never hear about him again?

I was hoping his "family problems" where what was holding that up. You may be right though.

I was hoping his "family problems" where what was holding that up. You may be right though.

In truth if his family are London based then I'd have thought if he's got other options on the table now that are closer to them and/or are offering more money then it'd be a no brainer for him. I'd imagine he'd be staying put.

He's 29 so will probably be looking for the best wage he can get (which is fair enough) and his 2 clubs in England have been Stevenage and Barnet which are about 20 miles apart so I'd imagine his family are quite settled.

I'm probably way too cynical - but when I heard the "family problem" chat just at the point that negotiations started, my first thought was "aye, right".  It will no doubt turn out be true and I'll end up looking like an utter c**t.

43 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'm probably way too cynical - but when I heard the "family problem" chat just at the point that negotiations started, my first thought was "aye, right".  It will no doubt turn out be true and I'll end up looking like an utter c**t.

I was a bit less cynical in that I had thought it was more likely to be a simple case of him going back to London to discuss his options with his family rather than it necessarily being "drama" but then why not just frame it like that? Player comes on trial, is offered a deal along with other options, goes back home to discuss further and make a decision. I'd have thought it's a pretty normal chain of events.

It seemed a bit unnecessary to place further weight on the whole thing by suggesting that he might become our 10th signing on Monday (or words to that effect) then go silent on everything. Obviously if there's nothing further then there's nothing further but as it stands, if he's got better paying gigs closer to where his family is based then I'd imagine that's what he'd opt for.

Edit: Ha! and with that, it's confirmed he's kb'd our offer.

Edited by capt_oats

See Bira Dembele has turned you down and Robinson is saying you wont go back with an improved offer. I take it he showed up quite well during pre-season?

Edited by Kyle

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

See Bira Dembele has turned you down and Robinson is saying you wont go back with an improved offer. I take it he showed up quite well during pre-season?

He got 45 mins in each game against Stirling Albion and Livi and looked pretty assured. We kept clean sheets in both then went into the Gateshead game without him involved at all and shipped 3 and Barrow and conceded 1. Which isn't to say these things are directly related or that he'd have been the answer to us turning into a rock solid defensive unit but certainly in the 45 I saw at Stirling he showed up pretty well, seemed comfortable on the ball, covered well defensively etc.

Not surprised :)

Are we now at the "worth a punt" stage of recruitment now that our initial targets have been exhausted one way or the other? I see to remember that there is a point where English clubs need to register squads at which point a bunch of players become surplus to requirements, or did I imagine that?

38 minutes ago, Swello said:

Not surprised :)

Are we now at the "worth a punt" stage of recruitment now that our initial targets have been exhausted one way or the other? I see to remember that there is a point where English clubs need to register squads at which point a bunch of players become surplus to requirements, or did I imagine that?

Genuinely no idea what stage we're at on that front. I got the feeling that Dembele was more along the lines of someone who fitted the bill but we weren't 100% sure about, possibly due to his release from both Stevenage and Barnet, rather than him necessarily being a priority target. If he had been someone we definitely wanted to sign then I'd have thought we'd just have gone baws oot and signed him given the rate we were hoovering up players at the start of the window.

I can see the role being a pretty tough sell depending on how McManus is viewed for the season ahead tbh. It's pretty niché. We seem to be after a left sided centre back with experience to either act as cover or possibly replace McManus but do so within a specific budget. I'd have thought that anyone who fits the sort of profile we'd be after would probably want some sort of reasonable assurance that he'd get a decent amount of game time however the flip of that is that even with the reduction in terms McManus took last season you'd think that he'd still be one of the higher earners. So you find yourself in the position where one of your higher earners might be sat on the bench.

As far as I'm concerned we clearly needed cover for Heneghan and we got that in Kipré but as last season showed we've been relying on McManus as a mainstay at centre half for ages and he's just coming back from a serious injury and even disregarding that...he'll be 35 next season, it'd be a big ask for him to play 38 league games.