Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

That 3rd goal is offside, surely? Not even a glance at the linesman by the defence, either.

Aye. I'd have said so, he's a mile off when McHugh hits the shot as soon as the ball comes back off the bar and well...he scores, he becomes "active".

1st goal looks off as well, though giving the assistant the benefit of the doubt McHugh's header is close to the 18 yard line and there are a group of bodies at the back post. Again though, not one defender seems to even ask the question.

Edit: As an aside, it turns out Bira Dembele has ended up at a French side. So it's probably not too much of a surprise that he knocked back our offer. 

http://www.stade-lavallois.com/actualite/l-actualite/25565-Bira-Dembele--Heureux-detre-ici.html

Edited by capt_oats

On 22/07/2017 at 11:03, MJC said:

No doubt it'll get an airing and Bob will get a nice big cheer from the usual suspects in our support who love to cheer opposition players playing against us, ala Foran & Vigurs. :rolleyes:

Richie Foran is a legend though

8 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

That 3rd goal is offside, surely? Not even a glance at the linesman by the defence, either.

Aye, fucking miles off, said that last night. Said to my mates "Why was Tait over there?" Then when you watch it back he makes a mad run and is about 5 yards off when the shot comes in.

8 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

He was a greeting faced wee p***k, fell out with the manager and was bullying the younger guys, apparently.

8 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Some player though.

Both true.

Joining the part-time league should suit him, tbh.

57 minutes ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

What's the story with Scott McDonald for leaving you lads?

Apparently in talks with us?

That's interesting. I was wondering where he'd end up seeing as it seems his much-vaunted move to Australia seems to have fallen through.

Basically he had a year option on his deal that was in his favour that he decided against taking up. He did an interview on Sportsound at the end of the season where he said that he didn't get on with Stephen Robinson and though they smoothed things over he didn't see himself working with the manager in the future. If reports are to be believed he was pretty disruptive in the dressing room and was just a complete pain in the arse to manage. He also straight out said that his performances were affected in the 2nd half of the season after the club had told him to sit on his (sizeable) arse and they refused an approach from the Australian side Western Sydney Wanderers in January (they were also in for him last summer as well). It seems pretty wild that a club would spend two transfer windows chasing a player and in turn disrupt our entire season by unsettling a player then just patch things when the player actually becomes available, but there you go.

McDonald seemed to spend the whole of last season preparing to leave. The initial approach from WSW came literally 2 weeks after he'd signed a new deal with Motherwell. He was interested in taking up their offer but the club asked him to see out his deal and kicked the bid (such as it was) into touch. The same club then came back in for him in January at which point McDonald threw his toys out the pram trying to force the move, he ended up benched for the Cup tie at Ibrox as a result and as he concedes himself he took the huff for the remainder of the season.

As a few on here would no doubt agree, Skippy seems to hate a pre-season. Over the past couple of seasons he'd have Motherwell's offer sat on the table and just leave it there while he explored other options and would invariably accept the offer mid-way through pre-season or once pre-season was done. He'd wander straight into the team and would take a couple of months to get up to speed. Even last season he ended up back at Fir Park after burning his bridges with Lennon and Hibs after it looked like he was heading there.

Having said all that he was smashing for Motherwell, legitimately one of our best and most influential players. Scored double figures in each of the last two seasons, had a pivotal role in staying up in the play-off season. Even more so his influence around the team on the park can't really be underestimated. He brought out the best in Lee Erwin and made him look a player, he had a huge influence on Moult and his development to become the player he has. 

TL;DR version below;

34 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

He was a greeting faced wee p***k, fell out with the manager and was bullying the younger guys, apparently.

34 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Some player though.

Edited by capt_oats

I really liked Scott McDonald - I think he's our top Premier era scorer as well (or did I imagine that?) and has done a lot to ensure that we're still in the top league over both his spells. BUT - he seems to be the worst in the world at the well-engineered transfer. I don't know if he's got a shite agent or if he handles himself but he singularly fails to do what he sets out to do each year. Captain Cook* made it to Australia with less of a fucking fuss than Skippy has over the past few years. 

From what we can gather, the balance of worth-putting-up-with/disruptive-wee-bastart tipped the wrong way after he still wasn't able to attend events at Sydney Opera house once the window had shut in January. There is a feeling that it's for the best he's moved on - but we'll know that once the season starts..

*and Steven McGarry

12 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

McDonald will absolutely stroll the Championship imo. Can't see him ever being that 20 goal a season guy again but in terms of link up play, moaning etc he'll be a class above.

Pretty much. I'd imagine United would probably be a good fit for him. With them in the Championship I'd imagine he'd be able to keep his media work to supplement his wage and the fact that (rightly or wrongly) they're viewed as a "big club" or that they should be a "top 6 Premiership side" would sit well with him in terms of his ego which probably shouldn't be underestimated.

Reading between the lines with the interview he did with Sportsound it sounded a bit like he was fed up with the relegation grind. Even though we finished 5th the season before last we were headed for another play-off at best before McGhee got the job and we hit a bit of decent form in December and from end of February through March while last season was in no uncertain terms, brutal. I don't see him signing for a top 5 side so there's no guarantee that it wouldn't be a case of rinse and repeat if he was to stay in the Premiership. It may well be the case that dropping down a league to a club who are expected to be challenging for promotion and win games would be the sort of move that might let him enjoy his football a bit more.

I liked skippy at fir park but like others have said it will be September before he is up to speed fitness wise. Don't know what the harmony is like in your squad but he is likely to disrupt it, also don't know if he'll be able to handle having to defenders on him at all times. When he was here the opposition defence were more worried about Louis. All in all he's a moaning wee */^$#. [emoji16][emoji16]

There was a player from Oldham called something King signed for the under 20s as well if twitter was anything to go by at the weekend. His profile picture is him signing with Crags

Edit Dylan King is confirmed in article about Newell which I've now read.

10 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

There was a player from Oldham called something King signed for the under 20s as well if twitter was anything to go by at the weekend. His profile picture is him signing with Crags

Aye, Dylan King. He's been around for a while. We've signed 3 for the 20s so far. King, Newell and Liam Brown who's arrived from Queens Park.

Edited by capt_oats

Newell has been in for a couple weeks training with 20s and 1st team, scored in a friendly against clydes 1st team a couple weeks ago when our under 20s beat them 2-0, certainly seems to be rated at fir park from what they've seen of him so far.