Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

12 minutes ago, WellView said:

He's done nothing all season. Some folk laud him for his decent few minutes v Aberdeen in the cup. The whole team were all over Aberdeen that night, making him look good.  The man has been past it for a while, and there goes the last of the lunatic contracts of 2016 which nearly got us relegated. Maybe you should also figure that he knows he's past it, hence why he announced retirement. 

He's "done nothing all season" as he's been second choice behind Dunne and hasn't actually played - or am I missing something?  Having someone of his experience there as *emergency* cover in case the young lads aren't up to it - for a few months only - and being paid on Academy wages wouldn't be a big deal surely? 

Anyway, I'm surprised at the lack of outgoing players this window. I thought we would have seen another couple of the first team squad exit. There's time yet. Also a lack of activity on contract extensions as mooted by SR around November. I think Tanner is worth another year, and if he's on the under-20 pay rate, Petra too. Maybe Newell too? Again on the under-20 rate. I reckon all three will kick on in their second season with us. 

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

He's "done nothing all season" as he's been second choice behind Dunne and hasn't actually played - or am I missing something?  Having someone of his experience there as *emergency* cover in case the young lads aren't up to it - for a few months only - and being paid on Academy wages wouldn't be a big deal surely? 

Is that you agreeing that he's done nothing all season? Maybe I'm a weirdo but I do kinda expect footballers to actually, you know, play?  It's a moot point anyway, the man has made the decision to retire.  On a related issue, I happen to know that Leitch took his eye off the ball in November. I'm not at liberty to say why I know. The academy has been drifting, and by the time Hammell gets started full time he'll have a three month backlog to clear up and he'll need to get up to speed fast. I'm in favour of this move. I'm a bit befuddled by the Clarkston move. Was he really the best guy for the job? We'll see, all the best to him too. 

6 hours ago, WellView said:

Is that you agreeing that he's done nothing all season? Maybe I'm a weirdo but I do kinda expect footballers to actually, you know, play?  It's a moot point anyway, the man has made the decision to retire.  On a related issue, I happen to know that Leitch took his eye off the ball in November. I'm not at liberty to say why I know. The academy has been drifting, and by the time Hammell gets started full time he'll have a three month backlog to clear up and he'll need to get up to speed fast. I'm in favour of this move. I'm a bit befuddled by the Clarkston move. Was he really the best guy for the job? We'll see, all the best to him too. 

Today, Hammell came in, played well in an emergency situation - seems like he can still contribute in those circumstances.....

53 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Slightly concerning that players are coming home from training camps in Tenerife with broken legs.

Read somewhere, maybe Steelmen lies, it was Swello in the match thread, that Bowman was out with a broken jaw picked up in training the other day. The f**k are we up to in training sessions?

Edited by capt_oats

42 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

From what I heard today Bowman has an injury but not serious and if rumours I heard are true he wont be at the club much longer either.

I don't think anyone would be massively surprised if that was the case. Especially as he's out of contract at the end of the season and initial impressions of Main seem to be that he's an upgrade. I'd be interested to see what sort of level he moved to if he does go.

Some interesting transfer chat from Robinson post-match. Hartley close to being signed on a permanent deal, which would be good. He's also looking at another defender and a left back:

“I am chasing one more defender. That may become a bit more of a necessity. But I’m hoping to get Peter Hartley signed and sealed on a permanent deal as well which will be massive news for us come Monday, Tuesday. I’d like to add another left sided player, a left back to the equation as well.”

“Adam Livingstone, David Turnbull, Barry Maguire were in Tenerife with us. We’ve got some really good young boys so it’s up to me to balance who we bring through. We can’t bring them all through at the same time. Look at Allan Campbell. He was outstanding today, he’s not intimidated by anybody. We’ve got a good crop of boys. We have to balance it by not blocking their pathway as well as winning football matches.”

https://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/sport/football/motherwell-fc/motherwell-hopeful-of-signing-on-loan-defender-peter-hartley-on-permanent-deal-by-tuesday-1-4667206

Edited by capt_oats

10 hours ago, WellView said:

On a related issue, I happen to know that Leitch took his eye off the ball in November. I'm not at liberty to say why I know. 

Thanks for this startling and helpful inside information. I am very impressed.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Read somewhere, maybe Steelmen lies, it was Swello in the match thread, that Bowman was out with a broken jaw picked up in training the other day. The f**k are we up to in training sessions?

It might be total shite - it was just one of the guys I sit near that told me - could well be fake news. If it turns out to be true - I'll delete this and look as if i'm ITK.

12 hours ago, WellView said:

#ITK

On 20/01/2018 at 11:33, Swello said:

Why not leave Hammy registered as a player until the end of the season as emergency cover also -  I know his new role will mean he can't be a full time player but it could be a sensible option along with the young boys. 

Think you will find he will remain a registered player until his contract expires, I think his experience would be invaluable to the youngsters in the development squad.Reading between the lines of Hamell's retirement statement, I think he felt he didn't have the desire to subject his ageing body to the demands of first team football, and with Scott Leitch leaving his post it was an opportunity which became available at the right time.

The daily record on twitter are saying Aberdeen are planning on bidding for Cadden. Complete non story as Aberdeen don’t have anywhere near enough money for what we’d be looking for.

Aye. Cadden will be away down south in the summer IMO. I wouldn’t be surprised if we already knew which teams were interested in taking him.

He’s contracted up til 2019 so if Aberdeen weren’t willing to pay £750k or whatever for Moult there’s no chance they’re getting Cadden. I’ve said it before, our transfer history suggests we’ve no interest in selling to other Scottish clubs.