Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Well done to Motherwell Colts on their victory at Dens last night. Well deserved, though Dundee had a great chance just before the winner to clinch it. Great first goal and was very impressed by the sub, Broque Watson. Unusual name that... Watson!

Well done to Motherwell Colts on their victory at Dens last night. Well deserved, though Dundee had a great chance just before the winner to clinch it. Great first goal and was very impressed by the sub, Broque Watson. Unusual name that... Watson!

Was really impressed when I saw him against East Stirling in the previous round.

Going on his post-match interview he looks like he’s not short of confidence either. Looking forward to seeing how he progresses.

I guess the lack of an (acceptable)  offer for Carson has pushed everyone down the expected pecking order by one place. I assume that we were expecting to run with Gillespie as first choice and Ferguson as backup this season....

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I guess the lack of an (acceptable) offer for Carson has pushed everyone down the expected pecking order by one place. I assume that we were expecting to run with Gillespie as first choice and Ferguson as backup this season....

I'm still not 100% on that. I think the intention would have been that had Carson left then Gillespie would have been #1. Absolutely.

I'm not sure it was necessarily what we were expecting to happen though. If that doesn't sound daft. After last season I'd have thought, rightly or wrongly, we may have been looking to run with 3 first team goalkeepers and I'm not sure Morrison's there at the moment.

The whole "improve the 12-18" suggests to me that we were aiming to have two solid goalkeepers and a competent third to avoid a situation similar to the scenario where we had Griffiths and his lettuce wrists costing us points and also having to scramble to get a Xenodochof in to sit on the bench.

Ferguson's obviously got a fair amount of experience from his time at Airdrie but given his age and also the fact he's stepping up from League 1 3rd choice 1st team & 1st choice reserves seems about right for him at the moment. That's not a diss btw.

As it stands it feels like that's the sort of depth Robinson might have been after regardless of whether Carson moved or not.

On 9/6/2018 at 16:38, Swello said:

The Loving Cup ceremony during the cup game a couple of years back had me waking up in a cold sweat for months - seeing Falkland veterans with sashes on abseiling off the govan stand to Simply the Best would finish me.

On 9/7/2018 at 00:09, well fan for life said:

Now there are some weird goings on in Govan, but the Loving Cup is window licking mental.

The was some of the weirdest shit I have ever seen and I can't believe I had never heard of it before. Why aren't they constantly ridiculed for this?

The was some of the weirdest shit I have ever seen and I can't believe I had never heard of it before. Why aren't they constantly ridiculed for this?

The recording of both clubs board members at the presentation before the match that was cringeworthy. They might well have just got down on their knees and sucked the Sevco board members cock!

It went on behind closed doors until Charles Green bought the cup.

On 07/09/2018 at 02:22, YassinMoutaouakil said:

The celebrations at Moult' s goal that day were some of the biggest #scenes I've ever seen. If we (Stephen McManus) hadn't utterly bottled it after then it'd probably be one of those games yer da tells everyone about for decades after. 

In hindsight though, that result was also probably the beginning of the end of Mark McGhee's Motherwell career, so not all bad.

McGhee's ridiculous post match interview that day was the turning point in that season where it went from dire to absolutely fucking stinking. I said at the time and stand by it, he lost the dressing room at that moment and while the players weren't blameless for what happened in the next month following that, it's understandable that they did perhaps 'down tools' somewhat after hearing their boss publically throw them under the bus like that.

McGhee was always one for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time and making ill advised comments but that interview took the fucking biscuit. 

10 hours ago, MJC said:

McGhee's ridiculous post match interview that day was the turning point in that season where it went from dire to absolutely fucking stinking. I said at the time and stand by it, he lost the dressing room at that moment and while the players weren't blameless for what happened in the next month following that, it's understandable that they did perhaps 'down tools' somewhat after hearing their boss publically throw them under the bus like that.

McGhee was always one for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time and making ill advised comments but that interview took the fucking biscuit. 

I've actually never heard that interview - I was too gutted for the week after the game to have anything to do with it , the Loving Cup was making me retch at random times and by that time, there was no point seeing him make an arse of the club.

For the same reason, I've never seen his pittodrie meltdown as my enjoyment of supporting us was reaching Albion Rovers Game levels at that point.

Edited by Swello

On 9/8/2018 at 11:48, MJC said:

McGhee's no stranger to interviews like that. Mind the Thistle interview when he completely pinned all the blame on Ainsworth for Thistle's goal. While he's not blameless there were 10 other shiftless c***s on the park that night that got away no problem.

14 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

McGhee's no stranger to interviews like that. Mind the Thistle interview when he completely pinned all the blame on Ainsworth for Thistle's goal. While he's not blameless there were 10 other shiftless c***s on the park that night that got away no problem.

I was fucking raging after that. Leave Lionel alone you big sidemooth c**t.

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

Is it the plan to play all of the 20s game away (Stirling, is it?) or is there a possibility of this being at Fir Park?

Would go along if it's at Fir Park.

Genuinely not sure. They played the Edinburgh City and Airdrie games at Fir Park when the 'Colt' teams were introduced to the competition but last season the Queen's Park game was at Stirling, then they played Crusaders in Belfast.

I'd like to think that since they've drawn one of the non-Scottish sides they'd make an effort to get the game on at Fir Park. Would be pretty disappointing if that wasn't the case tbh.