Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

On the flip side of those posts above about the size of the squad here are the players who (as things stand) are under contract for next season.

It's definitely a different look...

Goalkeepers
1 - Trevor Carson (30) - summer 2020
13 - Rohan Ferguson (20) - summer 2020
20 - Mark Gillespie (26) - summer 2020

Defenders
2 - Richard Tait (29) - summer 2020
6 - Peter Hartley (30) - summer 2020
18 - Charles Dunne (25) - summer 2020
22 - Liam Donnelly (22) - summer 2020

Midfielders
8 - Allan Campbell (20) - summer 2021
28 - David Turnbull (18) - summer 2021

Forwards
24 - Danny Johnson (25) - summer 2020

Where does Jake Hastie fit into this ? Did not seem to be on your list for out of contract players, although I do believe he is. He needs to be our next priority now that Turnbull has signed a new deal. 

I would like us to keep Aldred, Grimshaw, and maybe Mbulu and McHugh. The latter is a strange one. I think most fans if not all think he is a better defender than midfielder and rarely lets us down in defence. But if he wants to play in midfield he will probably need to find another club. 

Clearly there will be a significant turnaround of players this summer. I do think we will try and sign a few out of contract players but that would leave up to 6- 8 new players coming in. 

And then of course there is Cadden. A fans favourite but in all honesty he stared this season poorly. Maybe not playing in his favoured position. The injury has come at the wrong time for him and us and it will be interesting to see when he comes back where he fits into the team. We would be due a hefty development fee if he leaves I believe. So maybe best if he does. But he is still relatively young and could sign on for a couple more years in the hope he can kick on and get a good move and us a decent transfer. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Where does Jake Hastie fit into this ? Did not seem to be on your list for out of contract players, although I do believe he is. He needs to be our next priority now that Turnbull has signed a new deal. 

I would like us to keep Aldred, Grimshaw, and maybe Mbulu and McHugh. The latter is a strange one. I think most fans if not all think he is a better defender than midfielder and rarely lets us down in defence. But if he wants to play in midfield he will probably need to find another club. 

Clearly there will be a significant turnaround of players this summer. I do think we will try and sign a few out of contract players but that would leave up to 6- 8 new players coming in. 

And then of course there is Cadden. A fans favourite but in all honesty he stared this season poorly. Maybe not playing in his favoured position. The injury has come at the wrong time for him and us and it will be interesting to see when he comes back where he fits into the team. We would be due a hefty development fee if he leaves I believe. So maybe best if he does. But he is still relatively young and could sign on for a couple more years in the hope he can kick on and get a good move and us a decent transfer. 

Aye, I left Hastie off both lists as he's still down as an u20 rather than first team (for the time being at least). Fully agree though, he should be the next priority and all that group of u20 players Robinson keeps mentioning are out of contract at the end of the season (ie: Hastie, Maguire, Scott and Livingstone).

Sensible planning to give Turnbull a two-year extension.   Would mean if he were to leave at the end of his contract in 2021, we'd be very well protected by compensation as he'd still only be 22.

FWIW: seems to be some chatter about ATS to Crewe.

Apparently they're after full back cover and they're announcing a player today from "the Scottish Premier League (sic)" who is an "experienced defender who has played in the English Football League."

There are a few (by a few I mean 2) Crewe fans on The Twitter who are suggesting ATS a shout. Which tbf based on that info isn't that wild.

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

This going to replace or work alongside the Tam Scobbie patter?

You don't think it's coincidence we're getting rid of Aaron Taylor-Sinclair, do you?

It's time. 

5 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

He emulates Wes Fletcher in both demeanour and injury records.

Wes Fletcher was a different level when it comes to hairstyle though.  Never forget.