Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 hours ago, Swello said:

I think that there is a level of entitlement there that hasn't really been there in the past. 

I think that's just the case with a majority of young folk these days. 

When are we due to play Rangers/Celtic at Fir Park? I'm going to spend the week before it on Twitter saying we should move the game to Hampden so we can get as many Rangers/Celtic fans in as possible so we make a shit load of money. 

8 hours ago, Swello said:

I think that there is a level of entitlement there that hasn't really been there in the past. We can all go mad after individual results or get a bit morose after a long run of bad form like the 2nd half of last season but some of the recent stuff has been OF level - we're close the Claret & Amber Pound being used non-ironically.

The idea that a club would lock out their own supporters to accommodate a random team from another country that they'll never play again after this tie is so mental, it doesn't really merit talking about. I've not really got a problem with folk getting flights early but surely it was always on the understanding that you're gambling on both the result and a ticket. 

I think the club is so well run compared to the past that folk are reduced to the kind of manufactured grievance pish that were seeing now. 

Agree with all that obvs but ironically I think there's an argument that the entitlement is actually an unexpected consequence of the way the club is run in that we seem to have developed an unintentional culture where there's an expectation that any minor grievance or inconvenience will be dealt with directly by our actual-fucking-CEO.

Give folk an inch, the ongoing Karen-ification of culture etc.

giphy.gif

I don't think it's even football-specific, let alone club-specific.

Society in general seems to have drifted towards a default feeling of perceived injustice, contentious anger and assumed suspicion. That's been massively amplified by Covid and lockdown, and facilitated by social media giving a carte-blanche platform for expressing it.

No matter what the subject or issue is, there is a massive percentage of the population whose instinctive reaction is to vigorously challenge anything and everything on the assumption they are being persecuted or victimised in some way. Everything is met with opposition regardless of what it is, which is why you end up with the same people arguing against both sides of an outcome. We're in a genuine "can't win either way" scenario because it's got nothing to do with what's being said or done....it's about challenging it no matter what it is, and being contrarian and sticking it to the man regardless.

Oh and also that element of "I've supported Motherwell for longer than he has and I post on forums too....why should he get to be Chief Exec and not me?!?!?!"

Edited by Al B

8 hours ago, Syme said:

As "tolka" says above, Sligo Rovers don't have any realistic options when it comes to ticket allocations for visiting fans 

They're well-supported. Pull 2,000+ for normal league games. The Bala game sold out.

I went to a game at Sligo when I lived in Dublin in the 1980s. The Showgrounds has improved a wee bit since then. Only holds 5,000 though.

It intrigued me why Sligo was a "soccer" town. It still does. And it still is.

There are no other "soccer" towns out west. East coast, aye. The BBC was accessible on the east coast before satellites.

Markievicz Park likely holds 15,000 or 20,000 these days. Less than a mile away... ag an preachan eitilte. A mite longer by the walking football fan. 

Can't be using that, though. 

Politics and football, eh?

Aside from other physical issues, Markievicz Park has fewer seats than the Showgrounds and it would be fewer again once you needed to segeregate its sole stand.

If you count Donegal as out west there are several 'soccer' towns there where Gaelic has yet (even post 92) to make a serious impact, from spots like Buncrana and Ramelton to even Arranmore. Of course the BBC was also accesible there! Sligo for all of its credentials as a 'soccer' town had a serious issue with producing senior players or decent school / junior teams for decades before the recent brilliant work with their academy started paying fruit (not that this is at all limited to players from the town). The areas below Sligo are very Gaelic orientated.

Sligo's captain, Greg Bolger, was supposed to sign for Motherwell when he was at St Pats but the clubs weren't able to agree a fee. He's had a very good career in the LoI but to be honest he is showing his age a little this season and it is arguably part of the issue with this Rovers team. The two up front are useful on their day - Mata is hit and miss but quite skilful and Keena has totally revived his career over the past couple of months and seems much happier. Other than that they're quite average with an exceptional keeper.

54 minutes ago, ropy said:

Do they use the tombola for the ballot ? 

Be magic if they forgot to take the players names out and they got all the tickets.

With the chat of entitlement. It is not specific to football.

I think customer service & "the customer is always right" attitudes have a lot to do with it, not enough idiots are told to f**k off when they are miles out or completely wrong.

13 minutes ago, tolka said:

Sligo's captain, Greg Bolger, was supposed to sign for Motherwell when he was at St Pats but the clubs weren't able to agree a fee. He's had a very good career in the LoI but to be honest he is showing his age a little this season and it is arguably part of the issue with this Rovers team. The two up front are useful on their day - Mata is hit and miss but quite skilful and Keena has totally revived his career over the past couple of months and seems much happier. Other than that they're quite average with an exceptional keeper.

Somewhat related I was playing golf at Gullane No1 a couple of weeks back.  The Starter (Celtic Fan !!) saw my Well Tattoo (right arm) and he started to talk about how one of his best friends son is the Sligo keeper.  If Sligo got thru he would be going along to Fir Park with his dad and family to watch him. 

He mentioned he was highly rated and that Aberdeen were one of the clubs looking closely at him.  His place of birth = Motherwell ! Maybe we should be looking at him....

34 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Be magic if they forgot to take the players names out and they got all the tickets.

With the chat of entitlement. It is not specific to football.

I think customer service & "the customer is always right" attitudes have a lot to do with it, not enough idiots are told to f**k off when they are miles out or completely wrong.

I worked in customer service for about 10 years and I can confirm that the customer is, almost always, a dickhead. 

27 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I worked in customer service for about 10 years and I can confirm that the customer is, almost always, a dickhead. 

yep, not long away from it after about 14 years. All knobs.

I've chucked them a tenner, I'm actually quite looking forward to this tomorrow even if it's a friendly. It's the one true dress rehearsal we have before Sligo and Thistle are already up and running in the LC so while I'm not expecting anything resembling a competitive fixture, hopefully the first 60-70 minutes at least is not the usual turgid pre-season stuff.

It'll be fascinating to see the team too, wee questions everywhere from the 4-3-3 v 3-5-2 to the vast majority of the personnel. From the outside Kelly, Slattery and KVV will start, everyone else could get the nod or not depending on how they've been doing in training.

9 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I've chucked them a tenner, I'm actually quite looking forward to this tomorrow even if it's a friendly. It's the one true dress rehearsal we have before Sligo and Thistle are already up and running in the LC so while I'm not expecting anything resembling a competitive fixture, hopefully the first 60-70 minutes at least is not the usual turgid pre-season stuff.

It'll be fascinating to see the team too, wee questions everywhere from the 4-3-3 v 3-5-2 to the vast majority of the personnel. From the outside Kelly, Slattery and KVV will start, everyone else could get the nod or not depending on how they've been doing in training.

@thisGRAEME mentioned trying to work out the team from the clips of that bounce game in Austria, I noticed in the video the club posted with Jake Carroll last night there's a shot of all 10 outfield players at 3m 31s (given KVV was captain I assume it was Fox or Connelly in goals).

Given the rough positions when the goals were scored it looked like:

McGinn Mugabi Lamie Carroll
Slattery Maguire
Shields Spittal Goss
KVV

Edited by capt_oats

I am in Portugal keeping an eye on my emails for my fate in the ballot.

But, why have Golden Wonder/Walkers not penetrated the European market.  Lay’s crisps are pish.

Edited by ropy