Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I feel like as a club, we're just better at it now as well. The kind of 'vision' of having players knowing they're working their ticket from the moment they're in the front door probably makes it easier to do it on the other end too.

Definitely this.

The culture around football has obviously changed massively since people were getting bent out of shape over Pearson but the script that Kev's working off in his press conferences now is, I would imagine, pretty much the sales pitch we give players when we're trying to sign them. He's just saying it out loud, to an audience.

We give a platform, if we get an offer that matches our (reasonable) valuation and works for us then we won't stand in anyone's way. The last player to chuck their toys out the pram was probably Marvin - which was right at the start of our leaning into the concept of player trading.

Players have been saying the quiet bit out loud for a few seasons now - I remember Moult referred to us as a "stepping stone" in a club video in a way that only he would have got away with. Scott McDonald is a club legend but he was literally the worst I've ever seen at engineering a move - he was wanting to go back to Australia every transfer window.

What's happening with KVV now is a fucking *brilliant* advert for us to show to the English League 1/League 2 journeymen that we are trying to recruit at this very moment - "You won't get this exposure playing for Walsall mate".

31 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Definitely this.

The culture around football has obviously changed massively since people were getting bent out of shape over Pearson but the script that Kev's working off in his press conferences now is, I would imagine, pretty much the sales pitch we give players when we're trying to sign them. He's just saying it out loud, to an audience.

We give a platform, if we get an offer that matches our (reasonable) valuation and works for us then we won't stand in anyone's way. The last player to chuck their toys out the pram was probably Marvin - which was right at the start of our leaning into the concept of player trading.

Agreed, and tbh (and I know KvV is slightly older) if a guy under the age of 28 isn't looking to us as a springboard onto somewhere "better" I'd question why we'd want to sign them in the first place.

Although I'm sure Gallagher was the last toys out of pram player not Johnson.

Edited by Antiochas III

28 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Agreed, and tbh (and I know KvV is slightly older) if a guy under the age of 28 isn't looking to us as a springboard onto somewhere "better" I'd question why we'd want to sign them in the first place.

He had a gun to his head

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

Yeah, I'd forgotten about the whole 'gun to his head' situation.

I suppose the difference there was that his huff was about the contract he had signed rather than us actively knocking back bids in a prohibitive way - which was MJ's beef.

His whole bit about that 1 year extension kicking in kiboshing his "dream move" to Celtic would probably have needed Celtic to actually make a bid. Which I'm not sure they did - although I'm happy to stand corrected on that one.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah, I'd forgotten about the whole 'gun to his head' situation.

I suppose the difference there was that his huff was about the contract he had signed rather than us actively knocking back bids in a prohibitive way - which was MJ's beef.

His whole bit about that 1 year extension kicking in kiboshing his "dream move" to Celtic would probably have needed Celtic to actually make a bid. Which I'm not sure they did - although I'm happy to stand corrected on that one.

As much as Celtic were a fucking mess at the end of Lennon I absolutely do not think they made a bid. Was there not also rumours they were looking at SOD around the same time? 😅

Don’t want to be too harsh on Toby since he clearly has had unspecified health issues. But never been less enthused at a Motherwell tweet in a long time.

If he was fit and played again in the 1st team it would be a comeback to rival our 6-6 end of season game v Hibs. Quite possibly means he will be here next season now 🤷‍♂️.

Edited by welldaft

It's true, no one in Scotland can afford a 30 goal a season player of the year from an elite European league, no matter what age he is. 

That tweet definitely served its purpose though, bites aplenty. Scores of fans demanding their club throws silly money at us to prove a point. 

Edited by rowsdower

47 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's Toby!

He has timed his come back to coincide with his summer holiday, remember he is cleverer than you think

Edited by ropy

As we coast towards the end of the season it’s hard to remember that the best we were hoping for was a play off against Queens Park, I miss the days when the logic dictated that when Stevie Hammell’s defence conceded another self inflicted goal it was proof that we should never have spent that money on the pitch.

29 minutes ago, ropy said:

As we coast towards the end of the season it’s hard to remember that the best we were hoping for was a play off against Queens Park, I miss the days when the logic dictated that when Stevie Hammell’s defence conceded another self inflicted goal it was proof that we should never have spent that money on the pitch.

Me every week when I see Lamie & Mugabi jogging down the touchline to warm up:

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Reaction GIF