Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

36 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Robbie Mahon only managed 4 starts for Dunfermline in league 1 last season. I'd be nothing short of astounded if he got anywhere near the squad 

He doesn’t seem to have got anywhere near the squad in pre season. 

I really like Tierney he's not displacing Spittal.
Is he versatile? What's his position.
He seems to be an (I'm going #OldSkool FM) AMC. (Trequartista/Enganche/"no. 10" for all you f**k boys)

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I really like Tierney he's not displacing Spittal.
Is he versatile? What's his position.
He seems to be an (I'm going #OldSkool FM) AMC. (Trequartista/Enganche/"no. 10" for all you f**k boys)

He's a 'raumdeuter'...the Irish Tam Muller. :)

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

knew i'd forget one

Aye.

In all seriousness though, I agree. I think he's got the potential to be smashing but it's that weird thing of where he fits in.

As you say, he's not replacing Spittal but when you look at the goals he's scored (in not a lot of time on the park) he has a knack of being able to drift into pockets of space...a space interpreter if you will.

His goal against St Mirren is a fucking brilliant finish like.

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye.

In all seriousness though, I agree. I think he's got the potential to be smashing but it's that weird thing of where he fits in.

As you say, he's not replacing Spittal but when you look at the goals he's scored (in not a lot of time on the park) he has a knack of being able to drift into pockets of space...a space interpreter if you will.

His goal against St Mirren is a fucking brilliant finish like.

Got to disagree, a couple of good goals aside there's not many players on the park who pose less of a threat when lining up a shot. His shooting is like a young Jamie Murphy's. 90% trundle into keepers arms with no pace. 

I don't think he's got anything either physically or technically to ever make it at this level. 

33 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

Got to disagree, a couple of good goals aside there's not many players on the park who pose less of a threat when lining up a shot. His shooting is like a young Jamie Murphy's. 90% trundle into keepers arms with no pace. 

I don't think he's got anything either physically or technically to ever make it at this level. 

Technically, I think he very much does have it - physically it's a problem, which is made worse by him not really fitting into our system. 

I hate the idea that every player needs to be 6ft2 and a brick shithouse to make it, so I want to see him do well...

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

Technically, I think he very much does have it - physically it's a problem, which is made worse by him not really fitting into our system. 

I hate the idea that every player needs to be 6ft2 and a brick shithouse to make it, so I want to see him do well...

Aye.

I think the physical thing is absolutely fair comment but I've definitely always seen him as technical player.

As I say, it's his off the ball stuff that feels like the sort of thing that you can't really coach - to me he has a kind of instinctive knack of being able to find space but I'm not sure that aspect of his game has ever really aligned with how either Alexander or Hammell wanted us to play. Which is obviously a problem.

Tbh, there's still a weirdness that it was #Grezza who signed him in the first place given the nature of Alexanderball. Even after the fact it seems odd that he recruited a bunch of technical players like KVV, Tierney, Goss etc but wanted them to play the %s.

I was very happy to see Rossi go to Motherwell as it seemed like a great fit for him off the park, which is what matters most. He's not someone that I'd like to see hopping around too much.

Having said that, physically he is what he is and there's no point in a manager having him if he doesn't have a role for him.

1 hour ago, tolka said:

I was very happy to see Rossi go to Motherwell as it seemed like a great fit for him off the park, which is what matters most. He's not someone that I'd like to see hopping around too much.

Having said that, physically he is what he is and there's no point in a manager having him if he doesn't have a role for him.

Does Tierney have potential? Yes.

Does he have an obvious role? No.

Does he look physically capable of starting 30+ games? No.

If those are three questions and answers when you sign a kid it's fine. If those answers haven't changed at all in 18 months of development at a supposedly higher it's pretty concerning.

Seeing some chat on Twitter about Casey returning. 

Would defo love it and a back three of Casey - Butcher - Blaney I personally think would be dynamite. Solid, athletic, no nonsense and consistent. All for it. As much as I like McGinn would swap him for Casey. 

3 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Seeing some chat on Twitter about Casey returning. 

Would defo love it and a back three of Casey - Butcher - Blaney I personally think would be dynamite. Solid, athletic, no nonsense and consistent. All for it. As much as I like McGinn would swap him for Casey. 

If it’s coming from this account then it 100% looks like a WUM.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

If it’s coming from this account then it 100% looks like a WUM.

One of a couple of accounts I saw discussing it.

Appreciate it could be a pile of shite still interested to hear and also make my point on the back 3….

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Get him out on loan to the Championship, 20 games then bring him back stronger to see our season out.  Tried and tested method.

2 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

One of a couple of accounts I saw discussing it.

Appreciate it could be a pile of shite still interested to hear and also make my point on the back 3….

It's definitely interesting especially since it seems Kofi Balmer is away to Port Vale.

I kind of wonder if this change in international loans is making things awkward. Dundee seem to have picked up Boateng on loan from Palace mind.