Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Shaw and Bair need to not play together again if it can be avoided. The amount of times they stood in the same spot or made the same run (not that either ran too much) was ridiculous. Bair is obviously limited as a footballer but seems at least capable of putting himself about a bit and sometimes bringing others into the game. Shaw just seems lazy and disinterested. I felt the wrong forward was taken off today.

Kettlewell said in his interview we have to carefully manage Biereth's time until he's fully fit (I'm assuming under instruction from Arsenal). I really hope he's ready for a larger part soon as he is miles ahead of our other options.

I thought we missed Miller's composure today as well.

I'm still annoyed we didn't win that but given how the game went should probably be happy with a point. 

Well that was a somewhat interesting game.

I am a big fan of Ketts. Think he has done a great job since he came in. But either he and/or the recruitment team have to take their share of the blame for bringing in Bair and Shaw. Shaw was a panic signing because of injuries. But Bair. A project. I would rather take on Frankenstein As a project.

Bair is a fit and big lad. Runs about a bit. But he is no footballer. He cannot win headers. Had no positional awareness. At least twice today the ball was literally a few yards away to win and he never moved towards it. 

The worst I have seen our midfield. Paton had his worst game for us and the others were off the boil. Maybe 3 weeks without a game showed. 

For me our best player (before Mika came on) was Brodie Spencer. He was an outball and constantly ran at the County defence.

f**k Charlie Dunne. I genuinely think we would have got something from the losing 3 games if Mika was available. He probably won’t turn out to be the messiah but he will be the closest replacement to KVV we have. Hopefully he can have a run of games.  

Edited by welldaft

22 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Was surprised at that tbh.

Aye I second that , tho think a lot of that was to do with shape change as we'd went to 3 strikers , however one of those 3 was still Shaw so would have had a better attacking threat keeping Spencer on imo.  

On 25/10/2023 at 11:17, well fan for life said:

I don't mind O'Donnell tbh. His use of the ball is always great even if he's not quite got the legs he used to. That and Gent's attempts at defending at Livi are giving me nightmares never mind him. 

Just watched Sportscene and I'm doubling down on this. Gent for that third goal is honking the place out. Somehow managed to get to the ball first before throwing himself out the way.

Just watched the highlights.

Must have been 1500+ well fans that left after County went 3-1 in front.

Serves you fucking right 😎

You think a team that came back from 6-2 down to 6-6 would know this 🤷‍♂️

Edited by welldaft

9 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Just watched Sportscene and I'm doubling down on this. Gent for that third goal is honking the place out. Somehow managed to get to the ball first before throwing himself out the way.

My favourite bit of gent's today was when a goal kick came to him and it was completely uncontested , he had 10 yards space all round him easily   he lined himself up for it , adjust d for where he maybe was thinking he'd want to put the forward touch to , then 5 yards from him he suddenly realised he had hideously miscalculated the flight of the ball and it went out for a throw in.  

2 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

My favourite bit of gent's today was when a goal kick came to him and it was completely uncontested , he had 10 yards space all round him easily   he lined himself up for it , adjust d for where he maybe was thinking he'd want to put the forward touch to , then 5 yards from him he suddenly realised he had hideously miscalculated the flight of the ball and it went out for a throw in.  

The blind pressure of being under a ball like that is bad enough when you're playing 7s with your pals. But our Georgie crumpled like an empty packet of Walkers looking at that.

4 hours ago, Cossie MFC said:

Thought Paton was the best of the midfield 3. I would go for Miller, Paton. One of Spittal or Slattery 

It's harsh on Paton, who's obviously done well, but the potential of the other pair higher and I'd be amazed if we don't return to our first choice three.

Not sure Gent deserves that much criticism to be honest.

He needs to be stronger definitely. However to be fair to him, he’s a young laddie trying to cover for his 2 experienced centre backs who make an absolute c**t of it. One long ball forward where both Mugabi and Casey are posted missing. I’m more annoyed about the defending of that pair to be honest with you instead of the teenager who was left to try and deal with their mess- as was Kelly by the looks of things.    

It’s not Gent’s fault our only two natural LWB options are a 33 year old crock and teenager without a senior start to his name. He also wasn’t on the park for the first two goals we conceded which were also both utterly honking. Kelly doesn’t cover himself in glory again either with both goals seemingly going straight through him.

Fact is, we’ve now kept 1 clean sheet in 10 games since the League Cup group stages. For an experienced back line that are mostly full internationals with well over 400 top flight games in Scotland between them it simply isn’t good enough. 

Gent and Spencer are kids with little experience, I expect them to make mistakes. They need the senior players around to help them and that sure as shit didn’t happen yesterday.

Hopefully Butcher is back in the team on Wednesday and then we might actually see a senior defender take a bit of responsibility back there. 

24 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

It’s not Gent’s fault our only two natural LWB options are a 33 year old crock and teenager without a senior start to his name. He also wasn’t on the park for the first two goals we conceded which were also both utterly honking. Kelly doesn’t cover himself in glory again either with both goals seemingly going straight through him.

Fact is, we’ve now kept 1 clean sheet in 10 games since the League Cup group stages. For an experienced back line that are mostly full internationals with well over 400 top flight games in Scotland between them it simply isn’t good enough.

In his presser Kelly was talking about how contract talks can wait. For me they should wait. I genuinely think he is a bang average keeper. Certainly this season. His form has dipped no doubt.

The first 2 County goals were well taken shots but I did not think that he did enough in either situation. If we had a keeper that came for crosses in or around the 6 yard box we would have got a draw v Celtic. 

No doubt we will offer him a contract but it should be on half the wages he rumoured to be on right now. If someone is willing to offer him more (which I doubt) then good luck to him. We have been very good over the years at bringing in very good GK. 

16 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Had the fear that in my head I'd built him up as far greater than he is on the back of his first appearance. Off the bench , pen won , scored and then an assist . Pretty sure we'll be fine if we can just keep the hammer throwers away from his knees for the rest of the season.  

Good for you. Glad that he's back from that mortal wounding that caused him to miss *checks notes* six games.

Nothing like a bit of overdramatic posturing.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Good for you. Glad that he's back from that mortal wounding that caused him to miss *checks notes* six games.

Your team won 4-0 to go joint second yesterday, yet here you are on a Motherwell thread talking about a tackle that happened in August. Complete sad act.

1 minute ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Your team won 4-0 to go joint second yesterday, yet here you are on a Motherwell thread talking about a tackle that happened in August. Complete sad act.

I don't think you have quite grasped the concept of a multi-team forum, champ. 

Keep trying though, you'll get there. 👍

41 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Considering he has scored two goals and had two assists in less than one game (90 mins) then it is not overdramatic at all. That and the fact we have had to rely on a 4th and 5th choice strikers during this period. 

Cannot blame St Mirren for Obika injury or Wilkinson to be fair…..oh f**k it why not. St Mirren are to blame for most things these days……