Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Last season under Hammell he persisted with his 4-2-3-1 despite the fact he wasn't getting much from his wingers, we had three right backs, one of whom had played a lot on the right of a back three. On the side, Penney looked better going forward than he did defensively. Van Veen was scoring a decent amount despite sometimes looking wasted as a lone striker. Several people called it on this forum that 3-5-2 would be perfect for the squad that we had so it certainly wasn't a surprise when Kettlewell played that way - at least there was a theory of a way out.

With this season's squad, it seems that we are playing people in their best positions, but they're just not good enough. I don't see how we could change the shape of this team. We don't any wingers so 4-3-3, 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 are out. We've got enough midfielders to play a diamond, but there would be question marks about the defenders getting up and down. With a back four, who do we put where? Probably from our current system, Butcher and McGinn are first on the team sheet, but would you play a back four with those two in the middle who are, by trade, a holding midfielder and a full-back?

I wonder how many minutes we will see of Biereth in the next few games.  He collected the ball out wide and drilled it across the face of the goal almost without turning.  Not sure if Bair got a touch but it was given as a goal kick.  If Bair’s foot was 3 inches further forward it should have been a goal.  He put in another cross, can’t remember if it was the one that Shaw crumpled at.  The point being is that he is creating as much as he is scoring.  If he creates for others, does their confidence and subsequently their performance rise?

We really do have one egg in our basket.

21 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Last season under Hammell he persisted with his 4-2-3-1 despite the fact he wasn't getting much from his wingers, we had three right backs, one of whom had played a lot on the right of a back three. On the side, Penney looked better going forward than he did defensively. Van Veen was scoring a decent amount despite sometimes looking wasted as a lone striker. Several people called it on this forum that 3-5-2 would be perfect for the squad that we had so it certainly wasn't a surprise when Kettlewell played that way - at least there was a theory of a way out.

With this season's squad, it seems that we are playing people in their best positions, but they're just not good enough. I don't see how we could change the shape of this team. We don't any wingers so 4-3-3, 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 are out. We've got enough midfielders to play a diamond, but there would be question marks about the defenders getting up and down. With a back four, who do we put where? Probably from our current system, Butcher and McGinn are first on the team sheet, but would you play a back four with those two in the middle who are, by trade, a holding midfielder and a full-back?

If we're going 4-4-2 diamond we'd certainly have Butcher at six to protect the back four and drop in to make it three when needed.

Mcginn you could debate... he'd be better individually at RB but for the team you'd benefit by having him babysit the LCB and let Spencer play RB.

You could keep Spittal as the 10 and decide the central spots on form.

Biereth plus whoever up front.

I dunno if I'd quite go to that on Saturday but the time is nearing. It's approaching the point when it can't be any worse...

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

No shot would I be putting Butcher on that abomination of a park on Saturday. He broke himself on the shit Livingston one. 

Agree... with Biereth you'd hope he can start even if he's only doing 45-60 mins.

I'd give 3-5-2 a last whirl with:

Casey, McGinn, Blaney

Spencer, Paton, raffle winner, Spittal, SOD

BIereth, Bair/Wilkinson 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Another positive - that was the first time I felt that Davor contributed positively 

I did think to myself last night that it might be worth taking Miller out of the firing line for a few games and giving Davor a wee run.

No harm to Miller, he's literally just turned 17 and playing him through this run of form might do no one any good.

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If we're going 4-4-2 diamond we'd certainly have Butcher at six to protect the back four and drop in to make it three when needed.

Mcginn you could debate... he'd be better individually at RB but for the team you'd benefit by having him babysit the LCB and let Spencer play RB.

You could keep Spittal as the 10 and decide the central spots on form.

Biereth plus whoever up front.

I dunno if I'd quite go to that on Saturday but the time is nearing. It's approaching the point when it can't be any worse...

Agree with this however what’s the script with Blaney. People seem to be forgetting about him and Kettlewell not playing him. To me he didn’t do anything wrong in the games he played and was unfortunate with injury. He would also give extra balance being left footed.

McGinn to me has been abysmal past three games. I would be happy to go with a Casey and Blaney centre back pairing and Spencer on the right.  Left back who the f**k knows. Spencer had the engine and pace to offer support up the park.

Midfield Diamond that’s been playing recently with maybe Davor in the DM role or Butcher behind 3 out of Paton, Spittal, Miller & Slatts. Then front two of Mika and A.N.other. 

Our fullbacks have been non existent for weeks so losing width really won’t be any different. Would give an added attack dimension and allow more freedom for the 10 be it Spittal or Slatts. 

Mika showed last night he has the ability to pull wide and put in some great crosses. Could Wilko do that on the other side? 

Edited by wellboy1991

I could be wrong, and he’s not the only one who’s been poor of late, although I’ve never rated him, but my perception is any time we have O’Donnell in the team for an extended period of time, we’re rotten, and when he’s not in the team, we’re good.

Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong. 

28 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I could be wrong, and he’s not the only one who’s been poor of late, although I’ve never rated him, but my perception is any time we have O’Donnell in the team for an extended period of time, we’re rotten, and when he’s not in the team, we’re good.

Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong. 

Didn't lose a game he featured in from February (after Raith) until the end of the season last season. He didn't play in our either of our defeats of that run (against Dundee Utd or Rangers), played in 12 games, 9 wins and 3 draws. 

This season he's played in all 15 competitive games, including the positive start and run of unbeaten games. 

Team as a collective have been poor of late. 

Edited by MurrayWell

It's not even earth shattering stuff that needs to change. 

- Cannot play the midfield box 4 and hope other teams haven't don't their homework on it to close down Slattery and Spittal.

- Cannot play ineffective wingbacks

- Cannot play 1 up top. 

- Cannot continue with the shaky defence of the last few games.

Few possible ways to remedy all that but thats the issues. Same as they have been. 

Learn Kettlewell. Learn.

19 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Learn Kettlewell. Learn.

There are (probably) dozens of managers who get sacked because they refuse to see the obvious and change things. 

I suspect it's because deep seated confidence and conviction are usually needed to make it to the level of professional sport they have achieved.

Robinson is probably our only manager of recent years humble enough to rip it all up when needed and even then he eventually burnt out.

I may need the tinfoil hat but I thought Bevis was the best of the back three in the first half last night. Casey was shaky as hell and lost in no man's land for the first goal, while McGinn was caught out by his man. McGinn at least recovered with a couple of great last ditch challenges.

At half time I felt Mugabi was a bit hard done by being the one taken off, although I can fully understand why Kettlewell wanted Butcher on to organise the defence.

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

We have all had a go at our ineffective attack but is it naive to think that they scored 5 goals in the last 2 games and perhaps consider that they have done their bit?

💯. Casey, Mugabi and McGinn have all been poor the last 3 games yet very little focus has been put on it. Most fans are naturally more interested in who's scoring goals but seems like the defending has been given an easy ride despite only Livi, County and Hibs having a worse defensive record than us. 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

We have all had a go at our ineffective attack but is it naive to think that they scored 5 goals in the last 2 games and perhaps consider that they have done their bit?

It’s a fair point.

I mean, if you score 3 goals at home v Ross County you would be forgiven for thinking you’d win that game and likewise, 2 v Aberdeen would see you hopefully take at least a point. 

The defence has not been great at times this season but I didn’t see us conceding 7  goals in 2 games. It’s been a total collapse. 

Edited by Allroy for Prez