Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

15 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Clicked on here by default after game...currently in Lapland on holiday, minus 13, searching for Santa with the wee man - fucked if I'm gonna ruin these family Christmas, not to mention €10 pint, vibes reading the last three pages on here that I've missed...🤷‍♂️🤣

Carry on...⛄🎅⛄

My mates in Lapland, Ask for Eddie.

4 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

How was Davor?

He was decent. A bit lightweight and pushed off the ball too easily at times but read the game pretty well and offered a lot more mobility in the middle than Butcher did the other week.

I think he showed enough that I'd be happy with him in the Miller role at the moment. Dropped back to receive the ball and played some nice forward passes to bring others in. Some good work winning the ball back as well.

That said I'm 90% certain he'll be back on the bench next week in favour of Paton.

12 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

How was Davor?

As @fat_tony says he was decent but I thought the balance of the midfield was the best it's been since Miller got injured. As far as I'm concerned, Paton can fight it out with Spittal and Slattery for a more advanced role while Davor continues as Miller's understudy..

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Just stopping by this morning to give Big Mika his flowers.

This is, genuinely, an outstanding header (and a very well worked goal tbf).

Also deserving of huge credit is the pass from Blaney - zipped with pace right onto the foot of Bait, taking out the defender, and creating the chance to create the magic, if you what I mean.

I find out attack totally bizarre this season - absolutely toothless for huge spells and we then frequently produce either brilliance or luck.

One of the pleasing things about yesterday was playing left footed players on the left and right footed on the right.

Regarding the crowd reaction, I think there is a realisation that the current squad just isn't good enough and additions are needed in January. I'm assuming Kettlewell has informed the Board of this and it is a matter of if the Board let Kettlewell do it or get a new man. 

10 minutes ago, Wellwatcher said:

Regarding the crowd reaction, I think there is a realisation that the current squad just isn't good enough and additions are needed in January. I'm assuming Kettlewell has informed the Board of this and it is a matter of if the Board let Kettlewell do it or get a new man. 

If there's any pretence of joined up thinking still going on at FP, in theory we should be sacking him this week or giving him until March. At a push we could still do next Sunday but then it's tight getting someone in before Livingston, which should be considered a must.

But if you give him St Mirren and we draw, he's essentially got till the Livingston game as we're not going to sack him for losing to Rangers or Aberdeen. Ordinarily then losing to Livingston is a bullet but doing that hours before the transfer window is mental.

So while I'd bin him him now, if we don't we need to commit to the decision. Which means the board explain the reasoning, find some money down the back of the sofa, give him a chance to fix things in the window and get February to put it together and ask the fans for 100% backing till then.

Everyone agrees we shouldn't be sacking managers all the time unless there's no way out. If we go the other way now, even you personally disagree, we need everyone behind it - a repeat of May 22 or Jan/Feb 23 is absolutely to be avoided.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

15 minutes ago, Wellwatcher said:

One of the pleasing things about yesterday was playing left footed players on the left and right footed on the right.

Both agree and disagree with this. Of course additions are needed but I think at points in the season the current squad have shown that there's actually the guts of a decent - even good - team in there and there's an argument that they're being hamstrung by the manager doing weird things.

Both Gent and Davor showed yesterday that they're capable of contributing yet Kettlewell has - until his hand was forced - utterly refused to use them beyond 15 - 20 min cameos as a Hail Mary in Gent's case or at all in Zdravkovski's. Why that is IDK, we're into probably unanswerable questions territory (and I doubt Kettlewell would give an honest answer because as it stands he looks pretty culpable) but it feels like a loyalty to both SOD and Paton is the root explanation.

As I say, of course we need additions in January but equally I think the squad has been a victim of the manager needlessly tying himself in knots.

Edited by capt_oats

Know the manager chat and late goals is diverting attentions but whats going on off the pitch should be everyones focus.

No ceo. No hint of a plan. We are just going through the motions and managing decline.

Where are the society? They should be demanding answers on what the board is doing here. They are the owners. How have they let those trusted to run the club go without a full time ceo? Why arent they demanding to see a vision and a plan?

I have every expectation that he will get at least until the Livi home game regardless what happens over the next couple of weeks. 

Livi have lost every game since they beat you know who. And in saying that it was against a 10 man Motherwell. If Livi continue to lose games up until the 30th Dec and then come to Fir Park and beat us. That would be it for me. Unless we do the unlikely thing and pick up a win beforehand. 

Davor was ok yesterday. Nothing great but imho Paton has gone backwards the past few games. But still expect Paton to get the nod for more physical St Mirren game if he is available ? 

The bigger Q for me is whether Kettlewell will ever drop Kelly. Oxborough must not be showing anything in training. I get Kelly is the Captain, but any other player would probably have been dropped based on form. His nonsense in his interview about Kelly making the choice to come for the ball to try and help us or whatever is blatant pish. I know he has to come out and say it. But if he genuinely thinks it then that is a huge concern. 

I would stick with him as an outsider looking in. It seems you have bigger issues than your manager at the moment. Changing would be an expense and a gamble that wouldn't come with any guarantees.

Kettlewell said in his post-match he made an attempt to simplify things for the players. Overthinking or overcomplicating things is something your fanbase were questioning earlier in the thread. He has shown an awareness of that and I would expect a simplification of your game to be a trend that continues. That should be a positive for you.

Added to that, there was someone on here that mentioned he played left footers on the left and right footers on the right, so again he has shown a capacity to do what the fans are wanting him to do which you might also take as a positive. 

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, Swami said:

It was, but Spencer chose yesterday to have a right stinker. 

Not surprising when he's been used to playing on the left all season.

It'll take him a game or two to get back into the swing of things on the RHS (assuming Kettlewell doesn't revert back to player tombola)

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I would stick with him as an outsider looking in. It seems you have bigger issues than your manager at the moment. Changing would be an expense and a gamble that wouldn't come with any guarantees.

Kettlewell said in his post-match he made an attempt to simplify things for the players. Overthinking or overcomplicating things is something your fanbase were questioning earlier in the thread. He has shown an awareness of that and I would expect a simplification of your game to be a trend that continues. That should be a positive for you.

Added to that, there was someone on here that mentioned he played left footers on the left and right footers on the right, so again he has shown a capacity to do what the fans are wanting him to do which you might also take as a positive. 

Both positives, but both took him 12 winless games to realise. Thats a concern. 

It’s a fucker of a situation, there’s still something there with this squad but and Kettlewell proved his worth in his remarkable first 6 months but the stats are absolutely stacked against him now. 

1 hour ago, ML4 said:

Know the manager chat and late goals is diverting attentions but whats going on off the pitch should be everyones focus.

No ceo. No hint of a plan. We are just going through the motions and managing decline.

Where are the society? They should be demanding answers on what the board is doing here. They are the owners. How have they let those trusted to run the club go without a full time ceo? Why arent they demanding to see a vision and a plan?

I'm not in the know by any means but I suspect the Society definitely and to a lesser extent the club board largely reflects the feeling here - everyone can see the problems, no one has a viable idea how to fix it.

We've been talking about our glaring governance problems since Burrows announced his departure and afaik there's been f**k all useful suggestions.

16 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Our record against the Top Six is pretty good

Was initially only joking at seeing Killie had leapfrogged Dundee this week but looking at it:

Against the top Six: P9 W3 D1 L5- Scored 8 and conceded 10

Against the bottom Six:P8 W0 D5 L3- Scored 12 Conceded 19

Feels like shipping 3s and 4s at home to the teams around us might be something of an issue.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Was initially only joking at seeing Killie had leapfrogged Dundee this week but looking at it:

Feels like shipping 3s and 4s at home to the teams around us might be something of an issue.

Similar to 2002/3!

35 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

If we had lost to Celtic and drawn with Ross County instead, we would be further up the table.  Beating those around us is more valuable than beating the top dogs, or St Mirren.