Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I don’t know how much transparency there should be at the club, we don’t know what remit Kettlewell was given for the season.  It seems clear he was told to reduce the size of the squad which he has done.  He may have been told to see what players he could sign on buttons.  That may have led to 6th and 7th choice signings.  He may have been told to keep us out of the relegation zone for this season and ‘go again’ next season.  Maybe he is meeting all his targets.

We still need a win.

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

I don’t know how much transparency there should be at the club, we don’t know what remit Kettlewell was given for the season.  It seems clear he was told to reduce the size of the squad which he has done.  He may have been told to see what players he could sign on buttons.  That may have led to 6th and 7th choice signings.  He may have been told to keep us out of the relegation zone for this season and ‘go again’ next season.  Maybe he is meeting all his targets.

We still need a win.

I think it is very much along these lines. 

I mean who in their right mind would think that cutting the budget drastically would realistically lead to us competing comfortably for top 6 and Europe. 

Derek Weir is from a Finance background. I understand he had a look at the finances and said - nope. Not sustainable. Not unless we want to flirt with Admin all over again.  There is your budget Stuart. Not a penny more. 

That being the case the Board will rightly feel that if he has (for the sake of argument) 25/30% less wages to play with than previous Managers then our predicament is hardly a surprise. A lot of fans will understand that. A lot simply won’t or won’t care. 

Likely we will be bumping along the bottom for the forseeable if our budget is that of a 9th or 10th place team. If the alternative is we go bust then we probably have to accept that…..

2 hours ago, ML4 said:

Know the manager chat and late goals is diverting attentions but whats going on off the pitch should be everyones focus.

No ceo. No hint of a plan. We are just going through the motions and managing decline.

Where are the society? They should be demanding answers on what the board is doing here. They are the owners. How have they let those trusted to run the club go without a full time ceo? Why arent they demanding to see a vision and a plan?

At more than one Well Society AGM there have been complaints about the lack of communication on strategy regarding things like renovations to the ground, board members changing and other issues  not community related but of importance to fans of the 1st team. Work in the community is important but I think a lack of communication to Well Society members on other issues has led to apathy reflected in the poor turnout at Society AGMs and apparent low voting numbers for Board elections. The interim CEO didn't attend the last AGM due to other commitments. 

5 hours ago, CoF said:

Both positives, but both took him 12 winless games to realise. Thats a concern. 

It’s a fucker of a situation, there’s still something there with this squad but and Kettlewell proved his worth in his remarkable first 6 months but the stats are absolutely stacked against him now. 

In the case of the whole playing players in their natural sides thing it's up for debate as to whether it even took him 12 winless games to realise. He was forced into it by injury and suspension.

Let's say Casey, McGinn and Butcher weren't injured and Paton hadn't been suspended does anyone think we'd have seen Gent or Zdravkovski? Based on his team selections up to this point (Spencer and Spittal starting at LWB, Wilkinson at centre mid) I doubt it.

So in that respect, it's kind of hard to see a corrective of a glaring issue being implemented because it's been entirely forced on the manager as a positive tbh. 

Edited by capt_oats

I think we can all agree that the round holes in round pegs route is far better.

However, given that Kettlewell is a manager who hasn't won in 13 games and tied himself in all sorts of knots, is he sitting today defiantly thinking that we got an equaliser because he brought Wilkinson on at centre mid and shifted Spittal out to wing back? That worries me.

35 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In the case of the whole playing players in their natural sides thing it's up for debate as to whether it even took him 12 winless games to realise. He was forced into it by injury and suspension.

Let's say both Casey, McGinn and Butcher weren't injured and Paton hadn't been suspended does anyone think we'd have seen Gent or Zdravkovski? Based on his team selections up to this point (Spencer and Spittal starting at LWB, Wilkinson at centre mid) I doubt it.

So in that respect, it's kind of hard to see a corrective of an glaring issue being implemented because it's been entirely forced on the manager as a positive tbh. 

Aye, absolutely fair points. I actually said similar yesterday but have reflected a wee bit on Gent. After yesterdays performance he has potentially solved a major problem in the first 11 but in the last 6 weeks or so he's no doubt had time away from the club / fitness might have dipped. Not a nice situation to speculate on (feeling slightly uncomfortable even raising it) but there's at least a reason why Kettlewell might not have felt he could manage 90 minutes until now. 

Still plenty of other issues with Kettlewell's decision making, but there's that. 

Edited by CoF

2 hours ago, Wellwatcher said:

At more than one Well Society AGM there have been complaints about the lack of communication on strategy regarding things like renovations to the ground, board members changing and other issues  not community related but of importance to fans of the 1st team. Work in the community is important but I think a lack of communication to Well Society members on other issues has led to apathy reflected in the poor turnout at Society AGMs and apparent low voting numbers for Board elections. The interim CEO didn't attend the last AGM due to other commitments. 

All important things you point out but what about what the plan is for the club long term? How are we getting crowds up? How are we making recruitment better? How are we securing our future beyond needing a society bailout?

Nobody is steering the ship. Whats it going to take to realise things need to drastically change instead of drifting into the abyss?

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Let's say both Casey, McGinn and Butcher weren't injured and Paton hadn't been suspended does anyone think we'd have seen Gent or Zdravkovski? Based on his team selections up to this point (Spencer and Spittal starting at LWB, Wilkinson at centre mid) I doubt it.

So in that respect, it's kind of hard to see a corrective of an glaring issue being implemented because it's been entirely forced on the manager as a positive tbh. 

So for the keeper to be changed we need an injury, suspension or kidnapping?

Eric Nicolson being salty about Motherwell? I for one am shocked. (You should be able to read it in an incognito window)

The number of digs at us in one article is quite funny especially when his team are currently below us in the league.

Edited by capt_oats

39 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Eric Nicolson being salty about Motherwell? I for one am shocked. (You should be able to read it in an incognito window)

The number of digs at us in one article is quite funny especially when his team are currently below us in the league.

Still amazed that he's in his forties or fifties in that profile picture. Based on the Alexander v Wright article I honestly thought he'd be about 70

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

He was a strong defender of Davidson right to the end while we despaired at what we had had to motion with for two years. He even criticised those of us who wanted CD out. Not all Saints fans pay attention to what he writes.

Edited by andrewh

57 minutes ago, andrewh said:

He was a strong defender of Davidson right to the end while we despaired at what we had had to motion with for two years. He even criticised those of us who wanted CD out. Not all Saints fans pay attention to what he writes.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting he's representative of Saints fans or anything it just feels like he just has a slightly odd kink when it comes to Motherwell and there's some sass in that article that feels a bit extra: "Motherwell, who have become experts at chasing a game late on (they’re good at it because they have powerful substitute attackers and because they’ve been behind so often that it’s becoming second nature)."

Sure, show me the lie but also...Ooooh, get you Eric. :lol:

He's written about us before (@YassinMoutaouakil referenced the article above) and it definitely had a sort of "tell me you don't understand Motherwell Football Club without telling me..." energy.

It's kind of become a running bit.

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Obviously I’m reading that from a different perspective but it didn’t seem all that salty to me. The last section praises Motherwell (correctly) for being able to sign a striker like Biereth and suggests (again correctly) it would make a massive difference to us if we were able to attract somebody of similar quality.