Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

This was obviously a much needed win, we've papered right over the cracks here though.
At 1.45pm I was ragin again, as was everyone around, this weird two man midfield only worked cos Livi are a fuckin shambles.

Theo fucking Bair though!

A welcome win but one that only serves to paper over some very large cracks. Livi are very clearly the worst team in the league this year.

Id still be looking to bin Kettlewell but if we didn't do it after some of the shambles we've had to endure the past few months then there's not a chance we'll do it now. He'll get at least January which, given our summer signings, absolutely terrifies me. Still reckon we're a certainty for 11th if he stays in charge. 

Job done and can count ourselves a little unfortunate not to have scored more. Second half was shaky but it gets the monkey off our back and puts some daylight between us and the relegation zone.

To top off a great result, I also had my first taste of the Chicken Tikka Chasni pie today. What a time to be alive!

Difficult to know where anyone really sits as the discrepancies in how many games each team has played is wild. Still funny that you can win 1 in 17 and be 8th though.

As for today…….delighted with the result. A good two goal cushion for most of it and no nerves at the end. Livi are really poor at the minute.

However, now the ‘winnable game’ is out the way, where is the next one coming from in the league? Hibs away? I’d take a point at this stage. If we win he comfortably gets the window as we could be 10 points off the bottom and a few teams still below us. Let’s be honest……he is getting the window regardless.

If we don’t win the counter returns and it’s back to 1 in 18 and the grumbles will pick up again. It’s an almost unwinnable position for Kettlewell now imo. The Hibs game is massive (not as much as today admittedly).

Many have lamented on the ‘damage’ a last minute Lamie goal at Livi caused the Club in the long term. There is strong arguments we are still feeling the effects.

I just hope that we aren’t discussing today in a similar vein in the months and, dare I say, years to come.

It’s been mentioned that a draw today wouldn’t have been the worst if you take in a long term vision of the Club. Tuesday will be an early indicator of that.

Edited by Quatermass

44 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I said it and, by God, I'll stand by it. 

I'm keeping the powder dry on my "Theo will hit double figures this season" shout from July - but I might have to at least try and find it.

It was certainly a hard game to assess.

Leaving aside the fact Livingston are clearly utter shite, I thought we were excellent first 20 mins or so. It reminded me of how we use to start under Kettlewell at Fir Park last season, on the front foot and getting after teams. It could easily have been 3 or 4 even at that stage.

Livi scored and it seemed to completely spook us. We dropped right off it and invited them back into a game that we should already have had had wrapped up. Which makes Bair’s goal all the more ridiculous, not only was it a sublime bit of skill/composure it also came at a vital point in the game.

So given how we reacted the first time they pulled 1 back, plus the fact we haven’t won a game in 3 months, the terrible weather and that we had a back 3 of Mugabi being flanked by two right backs- I can understand the no risk approach 2nd half. Even if it was fucking terrible to watch. 

That’s the win Kettlewell needed to get him through to the window, so for him it’ll be job done. Plus let’s face it, we’d have all taken a 1-0 before the game so I’m not going to grumble at a 3-1 win and getting to watch Theo Bair cut about like prime R9 for 45 mins. 

Get what folk are saying about the lack of midfield today, I was concerned about it when the lineup was announced, but ultimately it worked. 

Really don't think it'll be repeated very often and I can't imagine we go to Easter Road with only two midfielders on Tuesday.